Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT750 map update to card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT750 map update to card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you certainly haven't got the latest map - that's v850 and v835 was at least two version ago.

I can't offer any more suggestions about getting it right, except ring TomTom as per phone number in my signature, and be "firm" with them. I got a refund recently for a device I bought from them (not a retailer), by telling them repair was not an option, I want my money back.

In the meantime, you can make your maps appear differently in "Switch Maps" if you wish. This way you'd at least know which the device is looking at, internal or card.

Assuming you have made a full Windows Explorer backup, go into the card with Explorer, then the map folder, then double click to open the "mapname.pna" file, using Notepad. Change the mapname to something else, e.g WCE_Turkey_Russia.pna

My example below shows my UK & RoI map PNA file.

ID=United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland.pna2102794153850
build=2781

id=NNNNNNNN

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no Map folder.

Only a folder named Europe_2GB, within it is a file Europe_2GB.pna
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click the "Europe_2GB.pna" file and choose "Open With" then "NotePad" then you can copy/ paste the contents of the .pna file in to your next reply so we can see what version and build the map is - Mike
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a while I'm just doing a restore from the Explorer back up.

In the meanwhile I've just formatted a 4Gb memory card & a 8Gb memory card, which one would you like me to install?
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right this is the information that was in the file marked Europe_2GB.pna

ID=Europe_2GB.pna
build=2448
id=336101

My TT750 is now using the Explorer backup that I made when I first got it, so everything is now back to "Square One".

With the exception that it has a 4Gb memory card in it, which has been formatted & is completely empty, I can install an 8Gb card should you so instruct me to do so.

The Information screen shows the following:

Device AKVS* AJ*RS
App. 9.001 (1666/090928) OS: 366544
64MB RAM (Free: 15.6 MB)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5259
Map: Europe_2GB v835.2448
Language: English UK
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis. I have put a request in to TT support so I will see what they say about this problem. Will report back hopefully with some good news.
RicardM
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardM wrote:
Dennis. I have put a request in to TT support so I will see what they say about this problem. Will report back hopefully with some good news.
RicardM

Have you tried my previous suggestion of renaming the map you have on the card? This will tell you/us which map you have downloaded to the card and whether it is the latest (v850) - version number is the last three digits before build number. It should also allow you the choice to switch maps between the one in internal and the one on the card (simply because they'll have different names).

Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMG has now stopped working too.

I've checked in TTH what's on the computer & there's only a 2Gb file there, but there's no information on the version number on the pna file!

TTH says I have the latest maps, yet when I access the system information on the 750 it says v835! WTF is going on?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
LMG has now stopped working too.

Because you've already used it. Note, you say you've looked at a map in Home on your computer - there would only be one there if you had downloaded one, so you HAVE used your download and you only get one.

Follow the previous instructions on copying all contents of your 750 to your card (do this by having your card in a card reader, not in the 750).

Then (with card in reader) in TT home, Add maps and look at the map in your computer - should have a word "More", click it and you'll see from those details what map version you've downloaded. And add it if it's later than 835 - you won't get another LMG.

Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what this palaver is making me think that the Garmin 3790 is a bloody angel compared to this rubbish. Evil or Very Mad

I'm going to Somerset in about 10 days time, I'm going to leave this piece of expensive junk behind & try the old man's Gamin 3760 instead. Evil or Very Mad

Right, question can I copy the back up file made with Explorer onto the card?
Will that work.
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis. I have changed the file name as suggested and also copied the version number (done before name change)
ID=Europe_2GB.pna
build=2802
id=516215
So I have the latest map on the card, but despite Home also showing that I have the new map on the card it still will not show up on the TT. Still no alternative when I go to "Switch Map" as there was before I downloaded the map.
The funny thing is now when I go to update my device in Home I am being offered the W&C Europe map again, same version, on both the card and internal memory. Neither of these were there since the map download. Why is it being offered again?
RichardM
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardM wrote:
Dennis. I have changed the file name as suggested and also copied the version number (done before name change)

Always remember, you must have backups (using Windows Explorer) of both the device and the card before going to a new step.

OK, so now take the card out of the device and ACCEPT whatever the thing is offering you, on the internal and see where you get then.

Presumably you'll get some sort of map, maybe in bits/zones, who knows. But after it has finished, put the card back in and try switch maps again (your card map has a different name now).

Another possible. Make sure you have a Windows Explorer backup of everything on internal, then delete everything on internal and stick the card in the device and see what fires up then. I forget now with others putting their problems on your thread, but hopefully you have copied everything to the card also first?

Theoretically, if "blank device using card only" works, you could then restore (copy) everything back onto the device EXCEPT the map folder, then delete everything off the card EXCEPT the map folder. You would then be running the device from the internal memory, but with full map on the card (which is presumably what you want AND the only way to get a full Europe map onto a 750 because of low internal memory).

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Right, question can I copy the back up file made with Explorer onto the card?
Will that work.

DennisN wrote:
Follow the previous instructions on copying all contents of your 750 to your card (do this by having your card in a card reader, not in the 750).

Then (with card in reader) in TT home, Add maps and look at the map in your computer - should have a word "More", click it and you'll see from those details what map version you've downloaded. And add it if it's later than 835 - you won't get another LMG.

franb
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardM wrote:
So I have the latest map on the card, but despite Home also showing that I have the new map on the card it still will not show up on the TT. Still no alternative when I go to "Switch Map" as there was before I downloaded the map.

Could be a dodgy MicroSD card (even though you can read/write to it)

Have you tried the card in anything else?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V850 map that won't show up on the device for selection when you go to Change Preferences/ Manage Maps/ Switch Maps - Can you see if this V850 map folder contains a file ending with the following extension ".meta.dct" if this file is missing then this is why your map isn't showing up.

If the file above is in the folder then it could be down to the read speed of the memory card in use.

If the file is missing have a look in the folder where Home stores its downloads, in one of the folders will be a .cab file (the main map data in compressed format) and a file called activation.zip - you need to unzip this file which will produce the .meta.dct this file then needs to be copied to your V850 map folder - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: