Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT750 map update to card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT750 map update to card
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone used the card reader with the x30, x40 or x50. I would like to know of other peoples experience before I talk to TT.
Thanks
RichardM
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardM wrote:
Anyone used the card reader with the x30, x40 or x50. I would like to know of other peoples experience before I talk to TT.
Thanks
RichardM

I'm not sure what you are asking, but on my 740 I bought a 4Gb micro SDHC card, and a USB reader that supports the SDHC facility (my old one didn't), and I just copied everything from the TomTom internal to the card, and TomTom home will recognise it (without the TomTom present) as the device, and allow me to update and download the full EU map. When in the TomTom itself, I get two options presented, and can update the SD card with updates (but not the full 4Gb map as it cannot access more than 2Gb that way).

I hope that helps.
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. So that means that x40 models will let Home read cards in a reader as well, despite what Home help says to the contrary. It looks like TT support and help don't know what their products can actually do. It will be interesting to hear what the TT support person says when I talk to them later this afternoon.
I would still like confirmation from someone with a x50 who has been able to use a card in a reader to download via Home
RichardM
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
RichardM wrote:
Thanks
RichardM

and can update the SD card with updates (but not the full 4Gb map as it cannot access more than 2Gb that way).

I hope that helps.

I thoght ALL the newer models WILL recognise SDHC cards

Last edited by franb on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

franb wrote:
I think you'll find ALL the newer models WILL recognise SDHC cards

Yes, they will read them, and update them, but you cannot install a larger than 2Gb map file onto them while in the TomTom device. Thus to get the full Europe map installed on a 740 you need to have a separate reader, and have copied all the files to have it recognised.
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT support rang at the time arranged and appear to have sorted out the problem. First the card had the contents deleted (it contained the same as the internal memory) as they said it was confusing things with so much on it. Then a BIF file was put on the card and I was then told that the only other file necessary was the map. When I asked why some people could use their cards in the reader the reply was it is not supposed to work and is hit and miss if it does.
Anyway after they had finished I put the Europe map on from the back up and the card was recognised in the TT. I thought I would just check to see if the card was recognised in the reader and sure enough there it was. So at least that has sorted that out.
Are there any other files/folders that I need to have included to make it work from the card the same as from the internal memory? I still have to load the PGPSW files and also a voice file once I have got the new map loaded.
RichardM
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now downloaded the W&C Europe, Turkey and Russia map to my card. All went OK and I can see the latest map on My Computer on the card. However when I put the card in the TT it now only shows one memory, the internal one. The card is not shown at all. Yet when the TT is connected to My Computer both internal and card memories are showing at the same time. The card was showing on the TT before the map update and is also showing in Home now as I can switch between devices. Anyone got any idea what is wrong now?
Thanks
RichardM
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardM wrote:
when the TT is connected to My Computer both internal and card memories are showing at the same time. The card was showing on the TT before the map update and is also showing in Home now as I can switch between devices. Anyone got any idea what is wrong

Have YOU any idea what is wrong now? Seems to me nothing is wrong - you can see the device and card with your PC, you can see them both with Home, you can switch devices, internal or card. So what's wrong? Are you saying when you fiddled with the device before, poked sundry menu items, it said it had TWO memories? I've never known a TT do that.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. What I am saying is that before I downloaded the map I could switch between the maps on the TT and the card using the Switch Maps option on the TT. Now when I go to Switch Maps there is only one showing and that is the original. This is despite both Home and My Computer showing that there are different maps on the TT and card. By two memories I mean the internal one and the card as the other one. So why is the card map not being shown as an option when you go to Switch Maps option?
Obviously I haven't explained myself very well previously. Sorry about that.
RichardM
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do x40's & x50's actually recognise SDHC's because according to this http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634/kw/sd%20card/sno/1 they don't so you'd need a non-HC MicroSD card
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to recognise the SDHC card before the map download, so I think that TT info is a bit out of date.
RichardM
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you SURE it's the original map? Maybe the device is only reading the card if you updated using the card alone in a card reader.

What map version have you got now? It should be v850.xxxx.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have checked the map version both with and without the card in and it is Europe 2gb v835.2448. The map on the internal memory is Europe 1699.5mb and on the card is W&C Europe, Turkey and Russia 2135.4mb according to Home. So they are different maps but the card version is not showing on the TT, but is in Home. Very peculiar.
RichardM
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thrown in the towel trying to get my 750 to update the maps & give me the seamless Pan-European coverage that I want. All I keep being offered is zonal maps, which doesn't equate to seamless & uninterrupted coverage in my book.

All I want to be able to do is have a single Pan-European map installed on my MSD card, NO zones... If I can't have that, then the unit can be deemed as not fit for purpose, as that's how it was advertised & supplied.

So all I really need to know is:

1/ How do I get my 750 to download a single Pan-EU map & install it on my MSD card.

2/ How do I get Tom Tom to take the unit back as it's not fit for purpose, as it seems I can't have seamless mapping.

I can't return it to the retailer I've had it too long.

Any Ideas?
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it drives you mad trying to get this to work. As I have said I managed to get the full Europe on to the card, it is now a question of getting the device to see the map on the card.
RichardM

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: