Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT750 map update to card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT750 map update to card
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: TT750 map update to card Reply with quote

I have a TT750 which I want to put the latest map of W&C, Europe Turkey & Russia on. I have a 4gb sd card which has a copy of the original backup on it. When I connect to Home with the card in the TT750 it is recognised and I have the choice of which memory to use. Because I had a problem with Home writing to the wrong memory, I want to use a card reader with the SD card in it. However when I connect the reader to Home it does not recognise it despite the fact that I can see it in My Computer. What am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated.
RichardM
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure but I think the application also needs to be on the card.
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "the application needs to be on the card"? The back up which is on the card should contain everything that was on the internal memory, so should be identical to the original.
RichardM
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, misread your original post. Thought only the maps were on the card.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a fairly modern card reader? It should work in the card reader (and is it a fast card? - class 6?).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably an HDSD card that you are trying to read in a non-HDSD card reader. Only recent computers are capable of reading HDSD cards in their built in card reader. You probably need an HDSD card adapter to plug into your computer.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
It's probably an HDSD card that you are trying to read in a non-HDSD card reader.

I think you might be right, this quote is from just under a month ago:

RichardM wrote:
Thanks for the reply DennisN. I have found out why my card is not showing in the card reader. Apparently the reader will only work with micro sd cards up to 1gb. So its off to the shops to get a new one that will work on 4gb and then wait for the weekend to do the download. Fingers crossed it all goes OK.
Richard M

Richard, did you go to the shops and purchase a new SDHC compatable card reader? - Mike
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have a Kingston card reader now and this is OK with sdhc cards, and it is a class 6 card that I am using. The card shows up on My Computer and I can read the contents. For some reason Home will see the card when it is in the TT but not when it is in the card reader. I realise I should be able to download the maps while it is in the TT but last time I tried Home decide to use the internal memory instead of the card so messed everything up. Hence the reason to want to use a card reader. How do I get Home to recognise the card when it is in the reader?
Thanks
RichardM
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried formatting the card and copying the original backup to it again?
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have the TT plugged into the PC at the same time as the reader?? (The card won't necessariuly show up as a TT drive, sometimes just as an external drive - how many external/USB drives have you got?)

RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried with TT and reader connected at the same time and by itself. I have two spare USB connections. The reader shows up as a multiple drive on My Computer but when connected by itself Home says there are no devices connected, but when the card is in the TT it shows both memories and gives you the choice about which drive to select.
The reader and the card are both working OK as shown by being able to access the card contents via My computer, it is something to do with Home. Either I have somehow got something wrong or missing from the card which is preventing Home from seeing.it. I have checked both memories and and the internal one has 1.76 GB used and 149 mb free and the card has 1.77GB used and 2GB free. There are the same number of folders on both so I can't see what is missing. The only difference is the used capacity with the card being a bit more.
RichardM
RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a reply from TT support and they said that "Home will only recognise a card if it is inserted in the unit. This is not a fault but the way the software is built." This is despite it saying in Home help that once a card has been initialised it can be read in a reader. Though there is a footnote to that which says "Memory cards used with GO x20, x30 or x40 navigation devices are not intended to be used separately in a card reader. Hence if you access one of these cards through HOME in a card reader, HOME will not recognise the card." Maybe they have not updated the Home help to include the x50 models.
Has anyone used a card in a reader with a x50 model or any of these other models?
I have emailed them back asking for clarification of these contradictory statements and they say they will ring me if I arrange a time with them. So I will see what happens.
RichardM
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardM wrote:
Though there is a footnote to that which says "Memory cards used with GO x20, x30 or x40 navigation devices are not intended to be used separately in a card reader. Hence if you access one of these cards through HOME in a card reader, HOME will not recognise the card."

I always use a card in a card reader to update, via Home, the application or map on my 720, leaving the previous version in the internal memory. It's the only way to ensure that nothing on the device is touched, and allows me to simply remove the card to revert to the working version if the new one turns out to be "buggy".
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done it to test for you with the 2GB SD card from my 520. I used to do it with an 8GB SDHC card from the 520 too (until I found a better use for 8GB).

Right now, Home offered me update to Navcore 8.351 (not flamin' likely thank you!), QuickGPSFix (same again) and phone settings. It long ago gave up in disgust trying to get me to accept MapShare corrections and simply tells me my map is out of date and there are 2,000 unused map corrections which I really should take!

RichardM
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have proved it works on x20 models. Anyone prove the other models work before I speak to TT.
RichardM

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: