Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Connecting laptop directly to Kenwood 7260BT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting laptop directly to Kenwood 7260BT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davemb2009
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Connecting laptop directly to Kenwood 7260BT Reply with quote

I have read all the posts regarding updating the units and adding POI's and just wondered if anyone had tried connecting a laptop to the head unit via the USB input? I am considering trying, but worried that I may damage the head unit, but if it works it would make life so much easier?
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, No you cannot conect a laptop to the USB port as it will damage the unit. It will only take USB memory sticks, any size, for playing mp3's. The SD card slot behind the face is also for Navigation updates. Hope this helps
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garmin FAQ say you can connect the usb on the back to a pc for: waypoints
map source, map quest, google maps
for routes mapsource only

however they do warn against using garmin garage which can cause "instability within the mapping software"
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cj2412,

I think you should ask Kenwood, as they are the makers of the head unit not Garmin. It uses “Garmin maps”.

In my manual it says:-
About USB device. In this manual, the word “USB device” is used for a flash memory device and digital audio players can be recognized as mass-storage.

When the USB device is connected to this unit, it can be charged up provided that this unit is powered.

Install the USB device in the place where it will not affect driving safety.

You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub and Multi Card Reader.

Take backups of the audio files used with this unit. The files can be erased depending on the operating conditions of the USB device.

We shall have no compensation for any damage arising from any erased data.

No USB device comes with this unit. You need to purchase a commercially available USB device.

When connecting the USB device, usage of the CA-U1EX (option) is recommended.

Normal playback is not guaranteed when a cable other than the USB compatible cable is used. Connecting a cable whose total length is longer than 5 m can result in abnormal playback.

The reason I said you cannot connect a laptop to the USB port on the Kenwood DNX7260bt is that the output of a laptop USB port is 5 volt and you will damage the unit. If I’m wrong then I apologize, the only other thing to do is connect it and see what happens.
davemb2009
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, I will not be chancing connecting the laptop directly to the unit as all the info points towards this not working and also possibly damaging the unit. I will just have to perservere with using the SD card as a means to do the updates.
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Connecting laptop directly to Kenwood 7260BT Reply with quote

Hi davemb2009,

I use the SD card for updates, it dosen't take long. I think your wise not to connect the laptop. These head units are not cheap, and what's the use of owning a brick. Take care Wink
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just so were clear there are 2 usbs on kenwood 1 for playing music etc and a second mini usb that garmin say you can connect to a laptop as explained in my first post garmin provide the maps and the sat nav software for kenwood you can check if your software is up to date here
http://www8.garmin.com/products/kenwood/
kenwoods position on this mini usb port is that the end user should not connect anything to it. having a look round the internet people have connected a pc to this port and successfully downloaded voices icons poi's and maps. i would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used garmins poi loader via usb as at present i have to burn a cd every time i update my speed cams. i think in theory it would be possible to do but as the information available on the subject is a best conflicting i think i will stick with the cd method for now as said before these are expensive unit to brick
tiddler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The head unit I’m talking about is the KENWOOD DNX-7260BT you update firmware via the USB lead that plugs into the USB port on the rear of the unit. The custom poi’s as with speed camera poi’s are updated via the SD card slot behind the facia. With the above unit you don’t use a CD. The manual states: After downloading your POI database, use the Garmin POI Loader to install the Poi’s onto an SD card. Use the SD card to load the Poi’s. The POI Loader is available at www.garmin.com/products/poiloader. I use this method and it takes seconds to upload to the unit. (No burning CD’s and wasting them)

cjay2412

As you say this is conflicting, you must be talking about a different Head Unit to the one above.
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the conflict was that garmin who make the software say you can connect usb to pc and kenwood say you should not
with the x260 range 2010 models u can update via sdcard however i have a 2009 model with no sdcard slot hence the need for cd's having a look around the internet havent found any one using poi loader via usb hence my relectunce to try it. there are sucess stories of people adding diffrent things to there navi in diffrent ways there are also stories of people bricking the navigation parts of there kenwood +£300 to fix as it only takes 10-15 minutes to perform an update (download data burn cd etc) i think i will stick with this method. it seems like a safer option
markrmifsud
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to use a PC connected via the rear mini usb, but as yet I have been unable to get my laptop to recognise the unit. I have tried all of the usb drivers available from the garmin site. dnx7240bt
Rebel154
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markrmifsud wrote:
I have tried to use a PC connected via the rear mini usb, but as yet I have been unable to get my laptop to recognise the unit. I have tried all of the usb drivers available from the garmin site. dnx7240bt

Have you switched to Nav mode when the laptop is connected to the mini USB connector on the rear of the unit?

With my DNX8220BT, if it is not in nav mode, the laptop doesn't detect it - when I switch to Nav mode, the head unit announces that it is in Mass Storage mode and the laptop picks it up.

I used this method to update the on-board map. I have not updated POIs this way (yet!)

Note, you must use the USB connector on the rear of the unit and not the ones for mp3 devices etc.
markrmifsud
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel154 wrote:

With my DNX8220BT, if it is not in nav mode, the laptop doesn't detect it - when I switch to Nav mode, the head unit announces that it is in Mass Storage mode and the laptop picks it up.

Note, you must use the USB connector on the rear of the unit and not the ones for mp3 devices etc.

yes, but it fails to load any drivers for the device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: