Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No Maps Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No Maps Problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: No Maps Problem Reply with quote

Hi

Only just discovered this site what a wealth of information I am going to look through.
Small problem if anyone can help. I purchased a new Tomtom six months ago from Halfords which has now lost all the maps when I went onto the TT site. The retailer says that it is not their problem and speak to TT. Tomtom are not being very helpful. Now my question is, can I download maps from somewhere else or is the unit ready for the dust bin.

Thanks for any answers.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps don't just disappear. What do you mean they were lost? When you look at the contents of the unit using Explorer, do you see specific map folders on it?

Do you have a backup of your unit's contents (hopefully with Explorer, not Home)?

Were you updating a map when they 'disappeared'?

Look here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

Do you see any compressed maps there?
xkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The maps have disappeared, I have examined the contents of the TT.
This was the first time I had logged onto the TT site and straight away the system started to update. After this the TT will not work, and says no maps.

Tomtom say that I should have made a backup but the handbook says that a backup is advisable. It doesn't say that you have to.

Can you suggest where I go from here?

Thanks Terry

Last edited by xkman on Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connecting the unit to TomTom Home should restore everything if you delete all the old files from your TomTom using windows explorer.
xkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried that but I will try again,

Thanks Terry
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the unit back to the store and ask for a refund. It's not acceptable for them to say its TomTom's problem. Threaten them with legal action.
xkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried that but they are not interested,

Terry
xkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that on the receipt it states that only the hardware is guaranteed not the software but you are not to know that until you have bought the device.

Terry
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guarantee does not affect your statutory legal rights.
xkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

technik I have tried the TT home site but I cannot get it to load maps for free, I think they are about £40.

JLee that is a good point perhaps I shall have to back to Halfords and be prepared for an argument, something I do not like to do but perhaps there is no alternative. It is a pity that these large companies treat people like this.

I'll let you know how I get on.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xkman, if it is not too late and you have not already re-packaged your TT and got your boxing gloves on in preparation for tomorrows big fight, please tell if you have ever connected your TT to your PC before? and used TTHome?. What model TT do you have? What maps should you be able to see? If you connect your TT to your PC now and look at its contents in Windows Explorer, how much free space is there on the TT's drive? Do you have any Memory Cards fitted? or are you just using the TT's internal memory?

Sorry for all the questions, but dhn is correct when he says that the maps do not normally disappear, if they do exist somewhere, hopefully we can find them.

If you are still curious to find the maps if they do exist, I suggest you do a WindowsExplorer back up of your TT now before doing anything else. Save the backup by naming it something with todays date in the title to ensure you do not overwrite a previous backup (which probably does not exist anyway as per your previous replies).
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
xkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The Tomtom is the XL IQ and it was the first time that I connected that it all went wrong. As soon as I connected it started updates and when it had finished those I found that after having disconnected from the computer I could not switch the unit off. I did mange eventually and then I found it very difficult to power on! When I did manage in the end it said 'no maps'.

I have now made a backup but when I check the device now, I have 1913MB free and 45MB installed. Does this sound right ? Should it have so much free?

The maps it should be showing are UK & ROI and it has no memory card.

Thanks for any help.

Terry
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch!, you are correct, that is not right. With that much free space on your TT it is fairly certain that there are no maps there. Have you followed dhn's advice about looking for any map files on your computer? Not many people have faith in TTHome, but it may have made a copy of your map without telling you.

Also try technik's advice. It takes a brave heart to completely wipe everything off of your TT but it is not a problem as you now have a backup of your device. connect your TT to the PC, shut down TomTomHome if it starts up. Use windows Explorer to delete EVERYTHING from your TT's drive, restart TTHome and follow it's prompts to bring you up to date. Hopefully, one of the updates may be a map!

Failing this, it may be time to put your boxing gloves on after all. Sorry.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE Boxing Gloves. Halfords are full of this nonsense about it not being their fault, it's standard practice with them. I have in the past successfully got a new device out of them on several occasions.

THE MOST RECENT WAS YESTERDAY - I got a new replacement GO550.

You have to insist on it being their responsibility, despite that stupid extra paper you get with the receipt saying it's not covered by their 28 day return and about manufacturer's warranty. IT ALSO SAYS YOUR STATUTORY RIGHTS ARE NOT AFFECTED. Sale of Goods Act, Blah, Blah, Blah. Get the manager and "I'll go round to Trading Standards" (very good is if you happen to know - Google? - the address of the local TS office so you can say you'll go round to them in Blah Street). Personally, I've been prepared to tell them if I don't get what I want, I'll stand outside their door with a placard telling the world they don't honour the Sale of Goods Act. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks to you guys the XL IQ is actually working. I cannot believe it.
I did what technik suggested and removed everything and when I reloaded the maps loaded as well. I was very close to putting the thing in the dustbin. Thanks again.

It does leave a few questions. Firstly why are Halfords so unhelpful when someone has a problem with Tomtoms. Secondly why could TT not give that advice, do they not know about it? And lastly surely the TT site could warn you that the maps are about to disappear.

I am now using the unit again but when I come to replace it, I will not be going to buy another TT.

Terry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: