Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSAssist.NET Version 2 Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSAssist.NET Version 2 Released
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: GPSAssist.NET Version 2 Released Reply with quote

GPSAssist.NET version 2 has been released.

The long expected new version of GPSAssist has been released. As with version 1, this new version is also built based on user input.

- The new version runs on PPC2002 and WM2003.
- It supports TTN1, TTN2 and TTN3.
- It takes full advantage of the .NET technology and the XScale processor if present.
- This new version will be a FREE upgrade for all exisiting GPSAssist version 1 users.

For more details and screenshots check http//www.autoreplying.com/gpsassist.htm
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

The URL needs a colon. :D
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK very Interesting etc but can someone tell me What is GPS Assist and what will it give to me if I buy it?

I already have TTN3 (V3.0) - I use checkpoint and the Pocket GPS Safety Camera database - I use Nialls excellent Postcode software and everything works (so far)

What have I to gain from this software? Can someone tell me the advantages please. Try as I might I cannot see the full list of features this software and I need to justify a purchase to the financial controller (The Wife!) :-)

Cheers

Steve
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to would also be interested in this program,would it take over from checkpoint as regards speed camera positions ect,would i have to uninstall checkpoint if it does,

perhaps someone can advise us of the advantages,as Steve says before we approach the chancellor (wife)

cheers trevor
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve and Trevor,

GPSAssist has got a few more functions than CheckPOInt. Both are good programs and do well at POI detection. I now prefer to use GPSAssist 2 instead of CheckPOInt. I consider GPSAssist to be the next step (or even several steps) on from CheckPOInt. I still have CheckPOInt installed and there are no problems having the two programs on the same PDA but don’t run them at the same time.

GPSAssist has a nice POI detection interface. In addition to the POI detection function, GPSAssist can automatically control the TTNav Day/Night colour settings at the right times. This is a very worthwhile feature. It also has Speed Alerts to warn you when you exceed the speed limit.

The current version of GPSAssist is being developed on a daily basis and new features are regularly being added. There are a number of people who are actively beta testing it right now. The current beta version of GPSAssist is very good and there are lots of ideas being posted for new features so watch this space as they say. In the meantime why not download it and try it for a while? Thumbs Up

Regards,
Robert.
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info Robert. how does the speed limit system work.does GPSassist know all the speedlimits on all the roads ect,or do you have to set your limit,i already have this on my cars computer so i dont see the advantage on the speed limit setup,and the speed camera database is it as good as Pocket gps?

cheers trevor
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor,

I’m afraid that you have to manually set the speed limit. GPSAssist is a POI detector and thus can be used with any .OV2 file, so it can use all of the PocketGPS World databases e.g. cameras, etc.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert,i can download it and give it whirl to see what i think i dont want to get to complicated Happy cheers anyway thanks for help

trevor
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS Assist uses the Pocket GPS camera database. It's a little hard to talk about what may be possible (both with POI warning and more generally) in the future without talking about features only currently in beta versions which may change.

However, the feature set of the first release contains:
  • auto day/night colour switching based on your location and GPS time
  • POI warning - complete with directional arrows, distance countdown to POI, optional identification of the POI's label in the .ov2 (so, for example, GATSO: 399 when using the Pocket GPS database). POI speed warnings are supported if the underlying data contains speeds (the more people that resubmit existing cameras in the Pocket GPS database with speeds included, the sooner it's worth Darren's while releasing the database with speeds included)
  • POI synchronisation facilities on your Pocket PC - no need to use POIEdit to synchronise POI files from the Pocket GPS service
  • GPS based speed warnings

If that sounds a little spartan, more features are being added all the time, and the developer is very responsive to ideas from users. POI recording is being worked on in the current series of betas - Jo is trying hard to make GPS Assist the best it can be. I believe Jo is planning to implement all features that were in GPS Assist 1 that are still relevant, as well as, most likely, some completely new features.

You can start the trial version something like 40 times before you have to pay for it. I paid when version 2 was just an early beta.

David

(as always when I talk about products in these forums, I've no connection other than as a satisfied customer - and I did pay full price to register my copy)
richardknight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: GPS Assist Reply with quote

Have been using that latest release for a couple of days now and it knocks the spots of all the others I've tried (POI Warner and Checkpoint)

The interface is easy to use and the addition of the warning graphic in TT3 is excellent.

I've also got a copy of the new beta version which has the built in version of POI recorder and that's also excellent and will be a great addition once the guys add it to the feature set.

cheers guys !!
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: GPSassist V checkpoint Reply with quote

I've been waiting for this version and have been using Checkpoint in the meantime.
I installed it and spent an hour setting it up. The first time I used it, it thought it was night and refused to put the daylight screen up (at 8am!) I merrily sailed past several speed camera sites without warning. I've checked and its all set up correctly. The only benefit I saw was start up time was a lot faster than checkpoint. I cannot see what makes this programme worth $27 when checkpoint is free. Maybe when the new "coming" features are added I'll look at it again and maybe get it to work.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try downloading the very latest version (2.1.0.9 at the time of writing) from here.

If the day/night switching feature is enabled, then I find it switches the first time I switch to the Navigator screen after I've got a GPS lock. As I almost invariably have a lock by the time I switch from Map to Navigator, this isn't a problem (you do need a lock, as it uses the GPS position and time to work out the time it should switch the colours). If you can make it fail, report it as a bug.

Are you sure you've got the POI files configured correctly and the POI detector on? Is the little GPSAssist icon on your Navigator screen (it normally sits just above the - sign, assuming you have the + and - signs on - though it appears over the - if TomTom Traffic is installed; I just turned off the + and - signs). If so, I'm very surprised it's failing - it's never failed once for me during testing, and I'm talking about some pretty early beta versions as well as what's been released so far.

I greatly prefer GPSAssist 2 to CheckPOInt, and there's more features being added all the time (the POI recorder is being worked on right now - I think that's no secret).

David
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure everything was set, the POI detector was active. I suppose I must have done something wrong. But the GPSassist turned on the night view last night about 9pm, but wouldnt turn it back to day this morning - even restarting. I used TT to switch in the end. I may try again.
Mearns
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great improvement on Checkpoint and well worth the money. The only problem I have with it is on shutting down - I sometimes - not always - have to exit TTN3 up to four times before it and GPSAssist will close. I do have the appropriate boxes ticked.

I don't understand what the Graphics page under Settings is for. What do POI Alert position, Speed Alert position, OSD Position and OSD delay (ms) mean and what is the significance of the default settings?
devulderj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mearns wrote:
I think this is a great improvement on Checkpoint and well worth the money. The only problem I have with it is on shutting down - I sometimes - not always - have to exit TTN3 up to four times before it and GPSAssist will close. I do have the appropriate boxes ticked.

I don't understand what the Graphics page under Settings is for. What do POI Alert position, Speed Alert position, OSD Position and OSD delay (ms) mean and what is the significance of the default settings?

Mearns,

as you know GPSAssist V2 is still being developped further and tested in a closed beta group. I have noted the stop issue. Try to use the "stop TTN when GPSAssist is stopped" option.

About the Graphics screen

POI Alert position: is the position in pixels from the top of the alert POI Alert window. This window tells you which POI has been detected, how far it is away and in what direction you need to look.

Speed Alert position: same as above but for the alert window that appears when you drive above the set speed limit

OSD Position: same as above but for the window that appears holding certain informational messages like "TTN Is being started" etc ...

OSD Delay: the time the On Screen Display has to remain visible.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Jo.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: