Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - gatso for lorries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

gatso for lorries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mevans08
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: gatso for lorries Reply with quote

Hello this is my first post - go easy on me ! I am an HGV driver and would like to know if anyone can confirm whether or not there are any single, stand alone Speed Cameras active in the UK that can differentiate between cars and lorries and automatically apply the different speed limits accordingly. For example on a dual carriageway the speed limit for cars is 70mph but 50mph for lorries - is there a Gatso or similar that can 'catch' cars over 70mph and lorries over 50mph ? Or is this just an urban myth Question
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally - I have no idea.

But I have heard the same stories as well.

A quick Google came up with a few sites that say 'some' Gatso cameras can differentiate, but doesn't go on to say which ones.

ukspeedcameras.co.uk has some useful information. I cannot say how reliable it is or comment on the site itself.

Bob
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, height finder cameras do exist and can differentiate between cars and HGV, perhaps Alix776 one of the other moderators can add some information regarding where these exist as he drives HGV for a living, I will send him a PM with a link back to this thread - Mike
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, GATSO cameras can tell the difference between a car doing 60mph in a NSL zone, and a 40t lorry that should be doing 40mph.

iPhone 12
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I refer you back to a previous topic Gatso technology - HGV/Car Differentiation??

It starts with a rather embarrassing quote from me, saying that Gatsos COULDN'T tell the difference between a truck and a car, but I then do a bit of research and have to eat my words...

It includes some pictures I found of the internal control box, which clearly shows they have the capability to have TWO speed settings, one for trucks and one for cars.

On the first pic you can see there are TWO sets of switches with numbers for entering the speed limit settings in mph ("40" and "41" in this case). Next to the lower set you can clearly see a picture of a car. Next to the upper set is actually a picture of a lorry, but it is obscured by the top cover in that picture.

In the second picture (a km/h version), everything is a bit blurry, but you can definitely see the picture of a lorry.

The yellow rotary switch between the two sets looks like it is used to select the upper, the lower, or both settings, giving the possibility of dual speed detection for different vehicle types.

How often it is used like this, I don't know, but it is certainly possible.
mevans08
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far - but my experience with HGV's is that speed cameras only work based on the speed limits for cars. So long as HGV drivers don't exceed the speed limits for cars it seems we aren't going to be caught by a speed camera - despite the fact that by law we should only be doing maximum 40mph where car limits are 60mph and 50mph (on dual carriageways) where the car limits are 70mph ? If there are speed cameras that can tell the difference it would be good to know about them - maybe
PocketGPSWorld could produce an 'HGV Version' of the speed camera database that identifies these 'dual purpose' cameras ? I for one would certainly be more than happy to pay extra for 'HGV camera' protection and I'm sure fellow HGV drivers would too !
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mevans08 wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far - but my experience with HGV's is that speed cameras only work based on the speed limits for cars.

There have certainly been one or two reports on the various forums about HGV drivers being caught at the lower speed, so I wouldn't risk it.
We know the kit is capable of doing it, it just depends on the particular police force or camera partnership whether they implement it.

mevans08 wrote:
If there are speed cameras that can tell the difference it would be good to know about them - maybe
PocketGPSWorld could produce an 'HGV Version' of the speed camera database that identifies these 'dual purpose' cameras ? I for one would certainly be more than happy to pay extra for 'HGV camera' protection and I'm sure fellow HGV drivers would too !

But how would we find out?
Spotting a camera by the side of the road is easy. Finding out exactly what it does or how it is set up is a different kettle of fish entirely.

It would take several letters or a freedom of information request for EVERY ONE of the 3600 Gatso and Redspeed cameras in the database to even get started on a special HGV version.
And anyway, the purpose of the database is to warn you of a camera, it's up to you to drive past it at the right speed.

I suppose you could just change the default icons and sound files for lower speed ones on your copy of the database so EVERY 70mph camera alerts you with a 50mph warning etc.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes these cameras do exist there's 2 on the a556 into and out of northwich and most of the a17 is covered with them they are also present on the a1 between newcastle and bewick.

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly O/T but I know that in France there are cameras which ""monitor"" speed and lanes on some autoroutes.

They catch HGV in the wrong lane which should be using downhill or uphill crawler lanes, and excessive speed in the down hill lanes.

Mind what the French do Rolling Eyes

Rgds
rick007
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: hgv camera Reply with quote

Hi
3 points on A303 50MPH on a 50MPH limit road but 40MPH for truck at 3.35am
i was so happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Rick. Where you caught by a Gatso or by a police mobile / camera van etc?
TonyIshUk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A passing thought really with regard to sensing vehicle types.

I drive a Motor Caravan ( Someone has to Rolling Eyes )

And for the SAME model the gross weight can be 3.500 ton, 3.800 Ton or 4.25 ton, each weight has differng VED and speed restrictions.

In a 3.5 ton, I can use the outside lane @ 70 mph (or more in France) as a car. A 3.80 or 4.25 I become a different class of vehicle and have the same speed restrictions as a commercial vehicle. You can see why a lot of m/homes are plated @ 3.50 ton. ( Some horrifically overloaded !)

Quite what a sensing camera (and Intercepter Plod) make of this I dont know, and would not know until the bonnet is lifted and the weight plate inspected.

I know that a Peage Toll automatic tickets, often the wrong class calculated and payment charged. Its a bu**er of a job claiming back the difference. Can be a couple of hundred euros, if you do a UK / Spain trip in both directions and get caught.

Rgds

(the happy camper Wink )
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it seems the Gatso system just has preset "big" and "small" settings, I guess they just take the picture and then manually check the registration number against the DVLA database. If the speed you were doing is OK, they throw the ticket out.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyIshUk wrote:
A passing thought really with regard to sensing vehicle types.

I drive a Motor Caravan ( Someone has to Rolling Eyes )

And for the SAME model the gross weight can be 3.500 ton, 3.800 Ton or 4.25 ton, each weight has differing VED and speed restrictions.
You're not governed by the rules which apply to vans then? 2.000 tonnes MAM? The explanation for that which I read was that a heavier vehicle (van over 2 tonnes) takes more stopping than a lighter one. I'd have expected the same to apply to a motorhome.

Andy_P wrote:
As it seems the Gatso system just has preset "big" and "small" settings, I guess they just take the picture and then manually check the registration number against the DVLA database. If the speed you were doing is OK, they throw the ticket out.
Hmm, does that mean they photo (with flash) everything travelling at more than the lower limit?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Hmm, does that mean they photo (with flash) everything travelling at more than the lower limit?

no, if you look at the picture of the control box, there are two sets of thumb switches, to set two different speeds for "trucks" and "cars". But there doesn't seem to be any user adjustment for exactly what a "truck" or a "car" is. SO something big enough to trip the "truck" setting might be light enough to be OK, but they would still be able to see if it had exceeded theactual road speed limit from the data on the picture.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: