Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 84 speed cameras to go live on 7.5mile stretch of A13
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

84 speed cameras to go live on 7.5mile stretch of A13
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to London last night on the A13,the cameras are now mounted and have signs on the support gantries stating they are under test,so it is evident that they will soon be up and running.sorry but due to the fowl weather I did not not the start and finish locations but they are all in the 40mph stretch both directions.

TomTom 520
Christmas Draw 2010 Grand Final Winner Garmin Nuvi 1490TV
freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a discrepancy in what cameras are put on the PGPSW database.

I drove down the A13 yesterday with my sat nav & it was telling me that I was in an average speed camera zone, however, these are still under test until the summer & nobody will get a fine, but theyre already in the camera database. I asked last year why the SPEC cameras being tested near Blackwall Tunnel were not in the database & was advised:-

Quote:
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:38 pm Post subject:
freedy50 wrote:
Shouldnt they be live if theyre 'testing'?

We only ever record cameras that are working i.e. the ones that can result in a fine. If/when these move from test to live we will activate them but until then it's a no _________________Darren Griffin Editor,

So should they be in the database or not? Although its best to be forewarned about them.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freedy50 wrote:
There seems to be a discrepancy in what cameras are put on the PGPSW database.

I drove down the A13 yesterday with my sat nav & it was telling me that I was in an average speed camera zone, however, these are still under test until the summer & nobody will get a fine, but theyre already in the camera database. I asked last year why the SPEC cameras being tested near Blackwall Tunnel were not in the database & was advised:-

Quote:
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:38 pm Post subject:
freedy50 wrote:
Shouldnt they be live if theyre 'testing'?

We only ever record cameras that are working i.e. the ones that can result in a fine. If/when these move from test to live we will activate them but until then it's a no _________________Darren Griffin Editor,

So should they be in the database or not? Although its best to be forewarned about them.

In short - we've had a change of heart. Specs camera sites have multiplied exponentially since we first thought of keeping them out until they went live. Nowadays they arrive and disappear in roadworks like moths round a flame. We had to consider how to handle them and after much discussion decided we'd put in the roadworks ones as soon as we could. That way, as soon as they are live, they'll be giving genuine warnings. In the meantime, they'll warn without effect - but we concluded it was better to warn falsely and earlier than live operation, since it's the flick of a switch to make them active. Most members who have expressed an opinion on this have agreed with the policy.

So we've also done the same with the A13 and some other soon-to-be-permanent Specs cameras. The ones which spring to mind are the A13 and the QE Bridge - in both those cases, the camera warnings actually give warning of the correct current speed limit. So in their case, members are warned of the speed limit which is true.

I have no experience of the Blackwall tunnel test cameras. Maybe we've got ourselves in a contradictory position here, maybe we look a bit daft. Sorry. Where do we go from here to satisfy you?

Edit to add Maybe you might consider the 70mph cameras we have logged on motorways? Personally, I think they're a waste of time - everybody knows the speed limit is 70mph. Why bother telling them there are cameras about?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Personally, I think they're a waste of time - everybody knows the speed limit is 70mph. Why bother telling them there are cameras about?

I guess the only reason is to reduce the number of new submissions for them, and thereby reduce MaFts workload (so he can concentrate on all our little projects instead!)

I bet if the cameras are marked, there are less calls for them to be removed, than if they are not marked and people decide to report them.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Personally, I think they're a waste of time - everybody knows the speed limit is 70mph. Why bother telling them there are cameras about?

I guess the only reason is to reduce the number of new submissions for them, and thereby reduce MaFts workload (so he can concentrate on all our little projects instead!)

I was talking "Policy" here. I wouldn't publish ANY 70mph cameras at all, simply because warnings are superfluous - of all the speed limits we may need reminding of, 70mph is the one we don't need, because it's the only one which is invariable (upwards).

(I know this is not pgpsw policy).

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Maybe you might consider the 70mph cameras we have logged on motorways? Personally, I think they're a waste of time - everybody knows the speed limit is 70mph. Why bother telling them there are cameras about?

Motorways are the safest of all our roads. If someone was going to drift a few MPH Supreme Angel over the limit then the motorway is the safest place to do it.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I was talking "Policy" here. I wouldn't publish ANY 70mph cameras at all, simply because warnings are superfluous - of all the speed limits we may need reminding of, 70mph is the one we don't need, because it's the only one which is invariable
And other speed limits are usually clearly marked, so taking your argument to its (il)logical end, why have a cam database at all? Very Happy Very Happy
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did this turn into in depth points of view when it is the 40 mph spec cameras on the A13 the subject ?.

TomTom 520
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQUARE2024 wrote:
How did this turn into in depth points of view when it is the 40 mph spec cameras on the A13 the subject ?.

This is the internet, it's what happens.
SQUARE2024
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
SQUARE2024 wrote:

Embarassed Embarassed My mistake I should have made it more clear that it has gone from the Forum thread of 40 mph spec cameras on the A13 ( a road I use on a regular basis] to an in depth about 70 mph ?.

TomTom 520
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQUARE2024 wrote:
spook51 wrote:
SQUARE2024 wrote:

Embarassed Embarassed My mistake I should have made it more clear that it has gone from the Forum thread of 40 mph spec cameras on the A13 ( a road I use on a regular basis] to an in depth about 70 mph ?.

No it has NOT gone to an in depth about 70mph. I made the point about them because the database at present warns about 70mph cameras - to my mind, that's exactly the same as warning about the 40mph cameras on the A13 - the speed limit on the A13 is 40mph, the camera warnings say the speed limit is 40mph. So why grumble that they shouldn't be in the database when they are actually very usefully warning "us" to stay within the speed limit? Would we only stay within the limit if the cameras were active? Is it appropriate to do 60mph on the A13 because those cameras are not yet active? Maybe it is, so that the tests can be carried out - I mean, no point in testing to see if cameras catch speeders unless you get speeders speeding. Rolling Eyes

PGPSW are emphatic in stating that the database is NOT intended to protect our licences by telling us to slow down when there's a camera about (and therefore go like the clappers when there isn't). Don't we want to be advised that the speed limit on A13 is 40mph?

freedy50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't complained that they were in the database. I just asked an innocent question as to why last year specs cameras being tested were not in the database & this year they are. But my question has now been answered.

As I've said, its better to be forewarned whether theyre live or not. At least people will get used to where the cameras are.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: