Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mounting Bracket and operating Speed (530 / XL IQ)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mounting Bracket and operating Speed (530 / XL IQ)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Mounting Bracket and operating Speed (530 / XL IQ) Reply with quote

I can get either the Go530 or the XL IQ for about the same price.

I already know I dont need the voice or mps stuff since my car does that and hoped to find two units to compare in local shops but so far no joy.

So from anyone having used both these untis can you highlight if one has a better mounting system over the other (doesn't bounce about, easy to remove, reasonably small) and if there is any difference in operating speed?

I am assuming they are both pretty much the same size and apart from the MP3/phone dialing identical in every other way (same speaker, same screen etc?)

Cheers
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a PC World store or a Halfords - they should have them both on display.

My preference would be the XL IQ over the 530 any day - the speaker is better, once you get used to it the Easyport mount is very good.

But, I am biased after very poor experiences with my last half dozen or so GO devices!

If you can stretch to it the XL LIVE IQ is a cracking device - Halfords do a version with UK&ROI maps instead of the W&CE 2GB maps and it is a little cheaper.
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried but in PC world they were in plastic surrounds so couldn't really tell what the bracket was like, also noticed the icons were not the more 'cartoony' type I have seen elsewhere which makes me think this was a v3 (or perhaps an One XL rather than XL IQ?)

Saw only a 540 in currys which although again in a case had what looked like a much more solid bracket.

Having read the reviews on the XL the bracket and power connections seem to be a bit hit or miss so may get the 530 or 540 - do these have the same bracket and is the 540s only improvement the addition of live?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not look on the TomTom website?
If you look at each model and select "In the box" or "Accessories" you get decent images of the mounts.

The XL has the fold up easy-port mount, the x40 and x50 models have an active mount based on the same tighten-down sucker, and the x20 and x30 models have the old passive mount with just a push-on sucker.
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at thier site today and noticed the slightly differing shapes but was unsure what the differences were.

I like the bracket on my old Go that had the turn to tighen thing so I think the 530 is out. Saw the 540 for £200 instore last night as clearance stock so may upgrade to that (mind you that would be paying over the odds for just a bracket but I cant work out how fiddly the XL IQ is)
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

If you can stretch to it the XL LIVE IQ is a cracking device - Halfords do a version with UK&ROI maps instead of the W&CE 2GB maps and it is a little cheaper.

I am assuming the XL Live is the same bar the addition of online things. Since I have an Iphone I wont be bothering with paying any more monthly subs.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is, it has the LIVE Services (HD Traffic, Google Search, Weather, TT Safety Cameras - use the cameras from here though as the TT ones are useless)
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fekn uselesss shop

The 540 has was still on display, clearance price stickers etc etc.. I'll have that one - "oh we dont sell that anymore, how about this one instead" (XL for the same price)

Been on display for at least a week like that and still is.... chancers!!

Think I will just go with the XL as its going to be about 60 quid for the bracket although I do prefer the active bracket set up. Saw the 520 at CPC - I am guessing it is the same bracket as the 530 so a little better than the XL but not as good as the 540.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, x20 and x30 are the same style of mount.
I actually prefer that mount to the XL one for ease of getting the TomTom on and off, but I have sawn one up to make a custom mount for my car so I don't have any issues with suckers falling off at all!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: