Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom START launched
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom START launched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is all the programmers at TT can manage these days. When they tried complicated nothing worked properly and we all complained. Can't blame them for going simple.

I agree about the lack of post codes, obviously TT people haven't tried navigating in Britain. I think only UK & Netherlands have 7 digit post codes so maybe this device isn't really intended for us, hence the late introduction to the UK.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
I think only UK & Netherlands have 7 digit post codes so maybe this device isn't really intended for us, hence the late introduction to the UK.

What late introduction? It's a European launch today, might even be global.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
Maybe this is all the programmers at TT can manage these days. When they tried complicated nothing worked properly and we all complained. Can't blame them for going simple.

I still think (total guesswork) that TomTom LOST all their original programmers, and everyone they've hired since has struggled to understand how the best bits work (or worked, once they've broken them!)
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
I think only UK & Netherlands have 7 digit post codes so maybe this device isn't really intended for us, hence the late introduction to the UK.
I don't think TT would design a device that wasn't intended for its home country. Would it? Joker
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's something to be said for a back to basics unit like this. Sort of like a new Garmin i3. But the pricing is comic.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've stretched the picture above Smile - the Start is not widescreen Smile
dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
No 7 digit postcode is a bad bad idea! Not so much an issue if you know the street name and number, but what about remote farms with large postcode areas and no street names/ numbers? Surprised

I live in a rural area and find 7-digit post codes pretty useless around here anyway as they cover such wide areas - unlike those in urban ones, where the code areas are often so tiny that that my 540 will often take me to within sight of my destination.

I find 'Point on Map' and/or 'Latitude/Longitude' much more useful.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will admit you're in the minority there. Even in rural areas a PostCode will at least focus the 'Browse Map' function on the approximate area to assist you.

I don't know many people or companies who can supply their Lat/Lon when you ask how to find them or publish that info on their web-sites. PostCodes are supremely useful in the vast majority of cases.

This sums up the START nicely:

Budget GPS

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
I think you've stretched the picture above Smile - the Start is not widescreen Smile

Apologies, I had forgotten to upload the re-sized versions that I had used. Now corrected.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the pictures on the TT website - (especially of the white model in the flash animation at the top of the homepage, but I can't link to that pic) - it looks like they've modified the Easy-port mount to put a release clip at the bottom, and maybe even to make it a perforated disc rather then a ring.

Can anyone confirm?
If so, it's a damn good idea. I hate the feeling that something is about to snap when I try to take the mount off the XL model.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Looking at the pictures on the TT website it looks like they've modified the Easy-port mount to put a release clip at the bottom, and maybe even to make it a perforated disc rather then a ring.

Can anyone confirm?
If so, it's a damn good idea. I hate the feeling that something is about to snap when I try to take the mount off the XL model.

Yes, the mount actually forms part of the rear case, you can take the mount off to re-orient it 180 degrees.

Although Easyport on the ONE models is fiddly to attach, I've never felt anything was about to break, if anything it was over engineered.

In the START implementation you lose the ability to rotate it freely, the only adjustment being the tilt/swivel in the ball mount hinge and switching it 180 degrees.

Last edited by Darren on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mount has to be removed, as Darren's pic above to get to the reset pin hole.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
The mount has to be removed, as Darren's pic above to get to the reset pin hole.

There is no reset pin hole. As per other recent TomTom devices, reset is achieved via long press of the power button.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of you might be missing the point............

I wouldn't expect ANYBODY who uses this site to buy one of these because I would guess that nearly everybody who comes on here has even a basic level of understanding of how a sat nav works and what the good and bad features are but.........

...........there are many more people out there who know little if anything about satnav other than it's supposed to get you from A to B and who wouldn't even understand the importance of a post code in plotting a route.

I mean there are people out there who buy the Sunday Sport who think they are buying a newspaper rather than a comic Very Happy

(and as an aside I live on the edge of a mid-sized town in a house that's been here for 10 years but if you put my postcode into just about any device it will take you into an adjoining road about 200 yards away and where "my" post code doesn't even apply Rolling Eyes so whilst I would never buy a unit without a 7 digit post code entry I still recognise post codes are not faultless)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell, i see your point, but now turn that round: new satnav users who buy one of these 'things' will think "hey, i got a tomtom, it must be good" then wonder why they can't find an address by searching for a postcode... "my mate's tomtom does it, this must be faulty, i'll take it back and exchange it". tomtom / halfords get lots of returns , tomtom get a bad reputation (all these people posting reviews on online forums / shopping sites etc).

would tomtom still see it as a wise move?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: