Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Medion Aldi GPS Question (language)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Medion Aldi GPS Question (language)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jalup1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Medion Aldi GPS Question (language) Reply with quote

I live in Switzerland and am considering getting one of the ALDI units. They go on sale on Monday just over the Border in Germany... 379 Euro. Here is the question.... I assume the Navigation software and evrything else will be in German. Does any one know if you can change the language on th operating system and the Nav. Software.

One other question. I have a copy of the Tom Tom Navigation software and maps for my area. Any Idea if it is compatable with the Medion system. Can I just remove the Medion and add the Tom Tom?

Does anyone know which software is better.

thanks,
Jalup
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- you CANNOT change the language of the operating system
- you CAN change the language of the navigation application
- you CAN install TomTom on the machine (no need to remove the other program, by the way)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jalup1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Regrarding the language on the operating system. How expensive is it to get an english version? Or can I get an upgrade to change the language. I have never had one of these and am a complete novice at this. Appreciate the advise.

Also will the stadard applications offer a choice of language?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing language on a Pocket PC is near impossible, as it appears that the Microsoft Pocket PC licence only covers the language version of Pocket PC supplied with the machine at purchase. To save memory space, an individual Pocket PC ROM only contains one language version - that applies both to the OS and the built-in applications.

Even when upgrading (as was possible on some machines to go from Pocket PC 2002 to Pocket PC 2003), you are prohibited from changing the language version - the installer will fail if the version of Pocket PC you are trying to install is a different language to that on the Pocket PC.

Some people have experimented with hacked ROM installers to get round this restriction - but in doing so you almost certainly void the Pocket PC's warranty, have no support if it goes wrong, and finish up with an unlicensed copy of Pocket PC on your PDA. This cannot be recommended or endorsed.

Just occasionally, people have got HP to co-operate with a language change on an iPAQs, but most manufacturers are totally unbending, and HP usually refuse to co-operate. The only correct answer is to buy the Pocket PC in the correct language to start with.

You cannot buy Pocket PC as a retail product from Microsoft - the code that Microsoft ship to the manufacturers is missing a whole load of device specific code that the manufacturers have to add to build a Pocket PC ROM image.

David
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jalup1 wrote:
will the stadard applications offer a choice of language?

Unfortunately no. They are all recompiled for the target language of the OS. And since they are in ROM there is no easy way to install , let's say, a german PWord onto an english Pocket PC OS.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: