Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom XL IQ has no post code pinpoint?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom XL IQ has no post code pinpoint?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is software related. Like I said before, it worked correctly on my 940 but now does not!

There is an email support contact and a telephone number on the tomtom site!

iPhone 12
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse9, I submitted a question to TomTom about this issue. Our exchange is quoted below, starting with my initial question.

I wish to navigate to an address for which I have a postcode and a road name but no house number. With earlier versions of Navcore I could enter the postcode, tap the appropriate street name, enter no house number, and be placed somewhere around the middle of the postcode area.

With the latest Navcore if I enter the postcode for an area in a long road in Hastings, TN34 3JL, then select Priory Road, the House number screen shows no 1 which, as in the past, I delete and press OK. However, it now says 'Please select a number between 1 and 423'. I have no idea of the number, or of which part of Priory road I need to travel to, so enter a number in the middle of those shown, eg 211. This places my destination firmly in the TN34 3JB area, some considerable distance from the TN34 3JL area I wish to travel to!

Could you please advise me of when there will be a return the previous functionality - which actually worked - as opposed to the current one which patently doesn't!

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care

Our 2nd Line team have advised that with the new application version it is necessary to enter a house number and is designed so customers can get detailed directions to a specific house because a road could be very long.

If you do not know the house number you will need to hazard a guess at the house number which is very similar to the previous application which would simply ignore house numbers.

With Kind Regards
Caleb
The TomTom Customer Care Team

I agree the new application works well if you know the house number, but this has always been the case with earlier applications too. However, if you don't know the number you need to be taken to the correct postcode, which is no longer the case with the new application.

You say "If you do not know the house number you will need to hazard a guess at the house number which is very similar to the previous application which would simply ignore house numbers."

I disagree. I live in a rural area, and on roads where the houses have names instead of numbers the current application works perfectly, as did the earlier applications. I enter a postcode and get the response "House numbers not available for this street" and the route is calculated to a point WITHIN THE ENTERED POSTCODE. This will take me to the approximate area of the requested destination.

However, if I have been given a postcode without a street number, and the properties in that road do in fact have numbers, whereas the earlier applications would have behaved as above, and taken me to a point within the entered postcode, I now have to hazard a guess at a number, which could take me to a point IN A DIFFERENT POSTCODE which could, in a long road, be a mile away from my requested destination, which is useless.

I am requesting TomTom to please revert to the earlier method, which at least put me in the correct postcode, and therefore the approximate area of my required destination.

Edited by Anita to add:
Please see Mike Alder's comments below before following these instructions from TomTom

I have passed your thoughts onto the appropriate department. Below are instructions to install a previous application version that you may find more suitable.

STEP 1 Remove the old application from your device.

- Connect your TomTom to the computer
- Open My Computer, you should see the TomTom as a removable drive, double click into it. (On a Mac, you will see the disk icon for the TomTom on your desktop.
- You will see a list of files and folders.
- Delete the Files, but NOT the folders. This will leave only the folders on the device.

STEP 2 Download the Application file

- Download the application file from http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.302.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO.cab
- Save the .zip File to your Desktop

STEP 3 Extract the Files

- Right click on the file and extract the file to your desktop
- You will see a new folder on your desktop with the name of the file you have downloaded. Click into it
- You will see 3 items, a .CAB, .toc and .png file
- Next we need to unzip the .CAB file. You may need some advanced unzipping software on your computer, please ensure that you are able to extract .CAB files using your unzipping software. If you are unable to unzip .CAB files, please download and install a program such as WinRAR onto your computer.
- Right click on the .CAB file and extract the files
- A new folder should appear with the same name of the .CAB file. Double click into this folder
- Inside this folder are the program application files and folders

STEP 4 Copy the Program application files and folders to your device.

- Select and copy all of the Program application files you have extracted
- Browse the contents of your TomTom and paste these files directly onto the TomTom device.

The application should now be installed. Once complete, switch the TomTom off, disconnect it from the computer and switch it back on again. Please confirm what happens when you switch your device on? does your TomTom load up the software?

Please let me know how you get on and I will be more than happy to help you further.

With Kind Regards
Caleb
[/b]
Samsung Galaxy S21

Last edited by Anita on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did the previous installation work?

I have XLIQ and I have no knowledge of previous version of firmware.

In addition I am attempted to get a new TT, maybe the 530. I am wondering if the 530 has the post code pinpoint options? I know the One V4 model has.

Is there a way to find out.

Also I've had my TT for 2 weeks now and still have 2 weeks to go on a warranty on Halfords. I am wondering if it is possible to exchange the current TT XLIQ for a TT 530?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse9 wrote:
So did the previous installation work?

I didn't try it as I wasn't prepared to lose the benefits of the later Navcore for the rare occasion when I don't have a house number.

Quote:
I am wondering if the 530 has the post code pinpoint options?

That would depend on the Navcore version installed, but you could follow TomTom's instructions to install v8.302 if it has a later version.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see so does the 8.3 version apply to all models?

I think my version now is 8.4.1 something something.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse9 wrote:
I see so does the 8.3 version apply to all models?

No, I think it only applies to the x20 and x30 series, so if you change your XL IQ for a 530 and it has a later version you could install 8.302.

If no one here can advise you which version to install on your device you'll have to contact TomTom Support via this page.
Samsung Galaxy S21
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick word of warning, if you follow step 4 of TomTom's instructions re installing files/ folders to the device you will mess up your nav unit - copying the LoquendoTTS folder from the download to the device will wipe the old files resulting in no TTS - this is just one example of what will fail.

To do an install such a download correctly use WinRar its faster and doesn't mess up folder contents like copy/ paste will do - I love reading the TT CS outputs at time, its just a shame that so often they are flawed - Mike
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike. I've added a warning to my post! Rolling Eyes
Samsung Galaxy S21
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading Anita's note saying that putting the house number in can result in being navigated to a different post code, please ignore my sticking up for TomTom on the previous page. This is definately a bug - er I mean 'challenge'. Mad
Brodit ProClip mount
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an official TT forum that TT actually reads?

There help line is quite poor, I cant even find an email contact.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse9 wrote:
. . . I cant even find an email contact.

Go to the Support page I linked to above, select your device and "Technical Support" under "Your question is about", then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Contact Us".
Samsung Galaxy S21
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah found it, posted a mail to them. With experience I will get a reply similar to yours but problem won't be solve.

My guess is if enough people alert them to the problem then maybe they will address it.
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a reply from TT. They saying it "may" change back in one of the applications updates in the future. I am guessing that means, we changed it back to annoy you lot and won't change it back again. Rolling Eyes

Regardless I hope this is fixed sooner rather then later. What are the usual updates patches like on a TT?

I am writing back to them to ask why they decided to take the pinpointed postcode out.

Quote:

We would like to thank you for your feedback regarding entering house numbers on the postcode function. I afraid this is something which has been changed in application for a few devices. At this stage we are unsure when it will be changed back but it may happen in one of the application updates in the future.

At TomTom we take all customer comments, feedback and suggestions seriously and therefore we have passed your comments on to our 2nd Line team, Product Management and Marketing Team.

With Kind Regards

Richard

EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that any specific decision was made to take the function out. it almost certainly happened by mistake.

My guess is that some changes were being made to the detail programming for the function for some other reason and without anyone realising it they either accidentally reverted back to some earlier program code, or wrote out the change that had been made earlier, perhaps without even realising why it had been added in the past.

Most regular contributors to this forum are of the opinion TT's testing is very poor and usually left for the users to sort out so it seems this is just another more of the same.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This USUALLY isn't a big deal as you can just either accept the number already selected or enter a number in the middle of the range suggested.

The problem comes if the road is very long where sometimes entering a number can actually move you out of the exact postcode into the next one.

TT are now aware of the severity of this and hopefully will change it back.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: