Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 3 Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 3 Traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - wonder if someone can give me some help on Traffic?

So far I have managed to do the following:
Register myTraffic via the iPAQ using the pc internet connection (in a USB cradle)
I was then told "Your TomTom account has been activated for Traffic. Return to your PC to continue registration"

I then follow the link given on this thread:

http://support.tomtom.com/traffic/guide/uk/

...a windows type box appears asking me for a username (my email address) and password, but when I enter the same details, it is returned as incorrect.

So - I'm stuck! Am I doing it properly?

Thanks in advance.....

Taz.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It now appears that the link to the Traffic feature was not meant for public consumption just yet so it appears likely that they have cancelled your registration, you'll have to wait until it is officially launched I'm afraid Sad
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those people having difficulty setting up there GPRS connection, this maybe a helpful link:-

http://setup.orange.co.uk/home.html

Its a little out of date in terms of devices, but if you select similar or compatible devices the process works. What happens is at the end of the questions and answers you can download a program that configures your PocketPC and adds all the connection strings etc. Give it a go, its worked for me on a couple of occasions. You need the following options

get connected, set up my PDA or laptop, for email and Internet
dksbbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered with TT Traffic yesterday and first impressions were WOW, this morning like others I was refused access so logged a call on Tom Tom supports web site, then looked at this forum and realised that the service wasn't actually public, anyway just opened my email at home and had a reply from the support asking the following:-

Dear Mr xxxxx,

Please can you provide us with details of where you received the account ID and password, because this service has not yet been released

I've emailed back stating I received it from them including attaching their email congratulating me on the activation, I've attached the whole email so they can see the tracking information in the headers.

Just goes to say that I think access was opened by someone in error. I have also asked that when the service is opened fully if my activation date will be reset so I get the full three months trial.

Oh finally it's cost me money as I activated GPRS yesterday on my phone to download and use this. Oh well, can;t wait for it to come back.

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how the original poster located the Traffic page as it was not advertised so we can't really blame TomTom if the service is not yet ready for Public release.

Activating GPRS should not cost you anything, I'm not aware of any SP's in the UK that charge to activate or provide the service, they merely charge for data used.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
so we can't really blame TomTom if the service is not yet ready for Public release.

Who can we blame except TomTom? They promised TomTom traffic for May which is why many people went out and bought TomTom3. No-one except TomTom is responsible for any delays.

Then again it still could be launched in May, there are another 16 days to go, the service works, the software works, .........
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get 'May' from? I always understood June was the intended launch date.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomToms website has always stated that Traffic would "avalable early May".

However this has been changed during this week.

Whats going on? The software seams to be working fine, it was tested in a live situation on my setup and was excellent. Cant wait for the system to go live.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Where did you get 'May' from? I always understood June was the intended launch date.

http://www.tomtom.com/news/press_release.php?Press_Release=79&Language=1&WR_Language=

TomTom wrote:
TomTom Traffic Plug-in will become available in May on www.tomtom.com.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed trafiic on Thursday morning - it's still working today - although the sign up screen said the account would only last a day.

Must say for a beta product its very good - to get round the bt headset problem I stuck a payg orange sim card into an old sony t68i and am using this purely for data - cost is £4 per mb which should last a couple of months so a probable cost of only £30 a year for the phone line. I've plugged this into a rear power socket and put it in the same storage box as the gps - so I won't need to touch it other than for credit top ups.

Just hope Bt doesn't turn out to be harmful to health as I have 2 bt phones, a bt handsfree and a bt gps all working in my car - no conflicts either.

Couple of points - I deleted the traffic wizard and now traffic doesn't launch when I open ttn3 (which is what I wanted to achieve - I can now chose to have traffic running but pressing the update button). Also I've noticed that if I leave the connection open to the phone when I quit ttn3 the gps module stays active and only a soft reset kills it - ending the connection then quiting gets round this. The other problem I had was when I switched to the french map all hell broke loose and the program icons went tits up and all my settings were wiped - ie saftety speed set to 0 rather than 75mph and all the menus got messed up - had to use the properties tab on the map view to reset them all - I've not tried this again but I think it was the wizard that was doing this so hopefully this may not happen again.

If tomtom can get the address searching improved then this is an absolte killer add on (even with the hassle of having to use a 2nd phone)
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are people connecting if that have a BT GPS reciever and can only connect by BT to their phone? i thought tomtom locked the BT port? or does your phone connect with dial up? so this isnt a problem?

Thanks
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my ipaq 2210 looking at bluetooth active connections

HAIMCOM BT GPS
Activesync serial port

SE T68i
Dialup Networking

they are both happily co existing and I am using the gps drivers provided by tomtom installed and not changed including the ~gps driver.

The conflict arises if something else wants to use the serial port (I think).

Hope this clarifies.

Ian
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Thumbs Up
dksbbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm not sure how the original poster located the Traffic page as it was not advertised so we can't really blame TomTom if the service is not yet ready for Public release.

Activating GPRS should not cost you anything, I'm not aware of any SP's in the UK that charge to activate or provide the service, they merely charge for data used.

I agree it is free if you are on PAYG but I signed upto a bundle, OK at only £4 a month as I will use it for WAP as well, it was just the traffic that made my mind up.

Anyway I look forward to it's go live date in June.

I had another email today as below:-

Dear Mr xxxx,

TomTom traffic is NOT yet available.
The service will become available in the beginning of June 2004, only in the UK, Germany, France and the Netherlands. If you subscribe to the TomTom newsletter, you will be informed when TomTom Traffic becomes available.

We have no idea how you were available as the site is not yet officially active.

We can confirm that your three month trial will start afresh.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I'm just glad it confirmed that by trial will start afresh.

Dave
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is odd - looks like tomtom is a complete mess - no surprise there then.

I certainly have an active traffic account - it even picked up a delay on a route I was planning this afternoon and checked for holdups on my way home this evening.

Is there a fee for being a beta tester?

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: