Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom say stutter/lockup on handsfree highly unusual
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom say stutter/lockup on handsfree highly unusual
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: TomTom say stutter/lockup on handsfree highly unusual Reply with quote

"The issue you describe is in fact highly unusual. Internet forums can cause a very rare issue to appear common, however"

After nearly having an accident,whilst driving, trying to shut my 720 up after yet another lockup using hands free, i sent a support query in listing this problem i have had from day one. The above quote was the opening line response. I have read/posted about this issue and know other usuers have had the same issue therefore would be grateful if any of you guys could post your incident numbers so i can confront them with the validity of this statement.
Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Navcore version are you using, when 8,300 was released there was a 50 page thread about this issue so it affected quite a few see Here but with the newer Navcore it seems more stable and less prone to this issue - Mike
bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but
Am on latest navcore, those 50 posts seem not to relate to voice problems on telephone hands free but more to Kate type navigation commands stuttering. Mine is when handsfree connects to an incoming or outgoing call then immediatley locks up and loops stuttering at full volume for a considerable time - unplugging power or turning off do not work- it's a paper clip job. Has done it intermittently through all navcores since purchase 18 months ago
Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah that old chestnut, it is something quite a few people have complained about and something I have experianced on a number of occasions (in the end I purchased a decent handsfree kit for the car)
There are a few others that have experianced this same problem, perhaps This Thread might be of interest - Mike
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom say stutter/lockup on handsfree highly unusual Reply with quote

bigfoot47 wrote:
"The issue you describe is in fact highly unusual. Internet forums can cause a very rare issue to appear common, however"

The cheeky b*****ds!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refer them to this 081117-009376 and their exact words are:
Quote:
We found no faults at all, we have had several units all with the same reported faults. We actually want to re-create this fault as at the moment we have never seen it occur, once we are able to reproduce it we will be able to isolate the cause and come up with a solution to the problem. As before with the other units we tested the fault does not occur while we are using the unit and we cannot troubleshoot the unit if it works.

As usual, you have been fobbed off. Keep at them but send your unit to Holland at your own risk as I was returned a unit with a damaged screen that is totally unuseable.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was an extremely rare fault why would they return 'several' units to Holland to try and recreate it?
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem on my 720 and 940, and on too different phones. Locks up with the voice just repeating a single part of a word, and the watchdog on the cpu evetually reboots the unit
bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raised it with Tomtom in March 2008 along with one other item, the query has been totally deleted from my questions history and the reply to this re submitted query:-
"I do not see any troubleshooting history for this issue on this account. It is likely that you have registered your previous query regarding this issue on a different TomTom account."
Funny that
Only ever had one account (thank god) makes me wonder, as my warranty is out soon if it has been done on purpose!

Would appreciate the query numbers from anybody else on this to call their bluff.
Ta
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Whats the point! Reply with quote

I have the same issue with my TT520. Can’t be bothered to even tell TT as every issue I report I get the same answer. “We have never seen it before; you will have to rebuild your TT to see if that fixes the issue or you will just have to wait 3 moths until the next navcore release which might fix it. Alternatively you can try using a previous navcore version”

A total waste of time IMO. Sad

I for one have been beaten into the ground by TT total lack of concern over bugs and the effects on people trying to use their devices. The stock answer of rebuilding or rolling back navecore always closes the support question with the status answered. So how do I know if this issue has even been logged with the developers Twisted Evil .

I update my TT via home which I assume all TT testers and developers do as well. Why is it only mine that suffers every time I use this automated service? Or do the testers and developers believe these issues are acceptable. I have never run with the latest Navcore as just to many issues arise I am currently running 8.302 with 830.2305 UK maps.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Title of the post is "TomTom say stutter/lockup on handsfree highly unusual". I would perhaps go for "chances that this problem ever made it past first line support and being tracked is unlikely - despite being widely reported".

I, like Mike, prefer a proper handsfree in my usual car. If I can't do business on the move it would cost me a lot more than the price if a parrot! Tried the TT Handsfree once in a hire car, got exactly what you got and just take an earpiece now. Another 'unique' extra that detracts from the ownership experience. And as usual it's been broken or half finished for years not weeks. Wake up Tom Tom.

Don't you get the feeling that there's a 'resolved' button on all TT support keyboards and someone has superglued them all in pressed mode.
Holux GPSslim
bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use TT everyday in my business, and as stated before , specifically got the 720 under the illusion the handsfree would work.the problem is as i am up and down the country and in and out of the car loads each day I do not really want another device which i have to unplug hide/or carry with me (due to the scroats around) as it is alot of faff when i just need to get to an appointment on time.

The reason for the post was hopefully to get members quotes from TT and or query ref numbers to bounce back at them and call their bluff.Then dependant on TT reply I will forward it on to someone who can make it more public and give them some adverse PR (if thats what it takes) as it can be potentially dangerous as i have just found out.

Thanks to Andy V for yours
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry I don't have a case number for you. I had SEVEN Go720s and a Go920 which ALL suffered this. In my case it was usually in combination with Traffic, but not exclusively so. I don't have case numbers because bitter experience taught me to use a new account ID for every new device so they're all long gone. My Solution to the problem was to revert to a Go700 for handsfree phoning!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bigfoot47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs Dennis thanks for the reply, you must be on their blocked senders list on their e-mail account! Wink
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always take the view that no matter how poor the support experience, you never get anywhere without being persistent.

Anyone remember the 1 minute delay bug on RDS-TMC with Navcore 7?

TT denied it existed for over 3 months until a bit of a concerted effort and some screenshots on here got the ball rolling. It only took a couple of weeks once they acknowledged it was a problem and it was fixed.

To all of those of you suffering from lockups, reboots, repeated sounds, one way audio, total loss of audio etc using your TT for handsfree calling get it logged with TT.

We all know that the first answer will be format, reset, reload, run clear flash twice etc. Then when that doesn't fix it it will be your phone that it is the problem. Or wait until the next Navcore release.

I find that being persistent sometimes brings results - if you just lie back and take it then you deserve all the crap half finished products that TT have released over the last couple of years.

Get logging the support cases and keep on their back - letters of complaint to CEO Harold are always good as well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: