Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Mobile XT and POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Mobile XT and POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Garmin Mobile XT and POI Reply with quote

Hi All,
Apologies if covered somewhere else, but I have looked and no real answers found. I'm probably missing something really obvious but the question is: Why do speed camera icons show on the screen along with audio, but any other poi icons don't show or have any audio. When I used TT Nav 5 any installed and activated poi would show and also have audio notifications.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poi loader automatically adds a proximity alert to any file with either a number in the filename (eg gatso_30 (30mph alert), specs_50 (50mph alert), q8_fuel (8mph alert...!!!)) or with @30, @40 etc within the files themselves.

any poi with a proximity alert will always show on the map screen. other pois only show when you are browsing the map and are zoomed in far enough.

hope that 1) makes sense and 2) helps slightly!

MaFt
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply MaFt. The type of alert I'm looking for would be a proximity alert for say a BP petrol station - gotta keep the nectar points coming Very Happy . Would the only way to make this work is to edit every file name and add a number. If so does any one know how this could be done other than the long way round. Also what number would I use?
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adamwolfe wrote:
Thanks for the reply MaFt. The type of alert I'm looking for would be a proximity alert for say a BP petrol station - gotta keep the nectar points coming Very Happy . Would the only way to make this work is to edit every file name and add a number. If so does any one know how this could be done other than the long way round. Also what number would I use?

Just off the top of my head as I can not get at POI loader just now but if you download the BP POIs as a csv file then run it through POI loader will it not allow you to set a proximity alert even if there is not one defined in the file?

I always save the created poi.gpi to my desktop, then rename it (ie BP.gpi) and then copy it to my mobile. This allows you to manage POI groups sperately. Each wednesday I only need to create and replace my speedcams.gpi, not the whole of my poi database
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick-uk
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought of processing files that way. This has always been a source of frustration after using TT for so long. I'll give this a go and report back as this may well be an answer for other users. Again Many thanks Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you choose 'manual mode' when you run poi loader then it will ask you for a proximity alert for each file you are uploading. bear in mind that these values will be overwritten by any numbers in the file name or by any speed values in the files themselves (ie this method wont work for speed camera pois) but is fine for all others

MaFt
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt

Are you sure? When I process the speed cameras file I choose manual mode and then select and enter a distance for the warning rather than a speed indication.

I am sure I get a warning at each camera irrespective of what speed I may be doing.

I have not paid that much attention to it though as it is not my primary navigation device, more used when walking places to locate addresses so I am not going past many cameras.

I will have to use it in the car for a longer period to see how it behaves. Trouble is the screen is to small for quick glances
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you sure? When I process the speed cameras file I choose manual mode and then select and enter a distance for the warning rather than a speed indication.

If you are using POIs files with speed related data in them then POILoader will ignore your attempts to manualy set distances and will use it's own internal figures.

From the POILoader help file

Quote:
Proximity alert information can be calculated automatically based on speed information. It can also be included in .gpx data files or added in Manual mode.

POI Loader determines proximity alert information based on the following criteria, listed from highest to lowest priority:

Proximity alert information listed for individual POIs in a .gpx file. This information overrides all other proximity alert information.

Proximity alert information entered in Manual mode.

Proximity alert distance calculated by POI Loader based on speed information in the file name or in individual POI names. This calculation uses the following formula:

Prompt Distance = 36 seconds * Speed.

A default proximity alert distance of 400 meters/0.25 miles if the file name contains the word "redlight."

If there is a TourGuide audio file attached and no other proximity alert information is available, POI Loader assigns a proximity alert distance of 0.25 miles.

Therefore POILoader determines the alert distance for POIs with the @30, @40 etc data and overrides your manual settings.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurrumph Sad

So all this time I spend entering my preferred distances is then just thrown away

So no good for the speedcam file but it will achieve the desired result with other POI files
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid so...

I think this is the best way to do it..

Quote:
I always save the created poi.gpi to my desktop, then rename it (ie BP.gpi) and then copy it to my mobile. This allows you to manage POI groups sperately. Each wednesday I only need to create and replace my speedcams.gpi, not the whole of my poi database

I can't see any problem with that idea. I did write a post suggesting this before you posted that but i pulled it as i wasn't sure if it would work with Mobile XT.

If Mobile XT supports GPX files then try Ash10s Camera Manager to adjust the Speed Camera alert distances. It downloads the database for you then converts it to GPX files based on your settings. Upload the GPX and BMP files and that'll be your camera database. One word of warning - the GPX files are huge compared to the CSV files so a) they take longer to convert (Windows often complains POILoader is Not Responding - it is but slowly) and b) I'm not sure how this will affect your Mobile.

Then you just need to convert the POIs in Manual Mode with POILoader, rename the file and copy to the Mobile.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It does work and I have mentioned it before on this thread
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It does work

I know. I'm agreeing with you. I just wasn't sure before you posted the confirmation if it would work on the Mobile XT.
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, misunderstood your meaning.

I just never see it mentioned that often though in other threads where users are having to "recompile" there whole database when updating (usually the speedcams) particular POIs.
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo again.

This thread is a great example of how good a forum can be. Many thanks for all the answers etc.

I can confirm that Rick-uk is right with his idea. If you add the poi as having a proximity alert and the distance it works perfectly Very Happy

Again thanks to you all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: