Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia E71 Speedcam questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia E71 Speedcam questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cato
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Nokia E71 Speedcam questions Reply with quote

Hi - first time posting in this forum ... I've subscribed to the DB, installed the Speedcam application for the Nokia E71, and got the Speedcam.txt file installed and working OK including the scary but effective sound alerts.

Generally it's really nice - I chose this setup for my partner because she will always have the mobile with her, and would not want to faff with setting up a separate satnav. I also didn't want a dedicated speed camera detector because the only ones with GSM updates were very expensive and looked quite enticing for car theft.

A few questions after trying it out for a week:

- on a drive from Frome to Bristol it seemed that the warnings happened in most cases well before the camera, and in a few cases some yards after the camera or not at all - clearly not great, but I'm not sure if this was an error in the DB or the application. I will check the map on this site now I've realised where it is!

- do you have a solution that will launch the Speedcam app easily (ideally on plugging it into a car mount) and also make it easy to kill the app when done with driving? This would help a lot with the battery. I read that the BestProfile app for S60 can do this when you plug into an active mount such as Brodit.

- any recommendations on car mounts for the E71? I'm leaning towards a Brodit ProClip active mount so that the phone is always charging up. Useful to know about cheaper mounts for another car though.

- any views on whether a Brodit mount is obviously a phone mount so a car thief will think "I won't bother"? I read somewhere about putting a label on the mount saying "there is no GPS stored in this car at any time", is that a good idea?

- are the sound alerts affected by the Nokia profile settings - i.e. if you are in a meeting on Silent and hop in the car, will you miss these alerts?

I'm new to the whole PGPSW thing so apologies for any FAQs...

Thanks in advance!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Nokia E71 Speedcam questions Reply with quote

Cato wrote:
any views on whether a Brodit mount is obviously a phone mount so a car thief will think "I won't bother"? I read somewhere about putting a label on the mount saying "there is no GPS stored in this car at any time", is that a good idea?

The Brodit Pro-Clip and active phone holders are a great combination, quite a few of us on this web site are using them in a number of different vehicles, consider the extra "mini move-it clip" which allows a quick release of the phone holder so you can put it out of sight in the glovebox, all that is left on display is the small Pro-Clip with a small unassuming bit of black plastic attached. This looks nothing like a phone holder or sat nav.

If you have two cars with a move-it clip system installed in both then this also offers a nice easy way to move the phone holders between the two vehicles.

Sorry I cannot offer any advice on the S60/ E71 as I use PPC/ iPhone and have not tried a Nokia for over six years! - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: