Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - upgrade to tomtom 3 a waste of money!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

upgrade to tomtom 3 a waste of money!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea where Dave or Darren are - perhaps they could have a word with Tomtom as they a likely to have some contacts within the company.

I've seen some comments about how the reviews of this product could have missed this but to be honest I'd not noticed the extent of this problem until it was highlighted here.

Also all those new to tomtom who were posting questions over the past month before the upgrades kicked in never brought this up as a problem -which now appears very odd - notice that no ones mentioned the m6 toll road for a week or two now!

It is possible that tomtom would reissue cd's - they did so with ttn when wales was left out or the original maps! Here's hoping because this is a very good product let down by some sloppy programming and testing.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to write a letter at some point in the next day or two - I have some other tasks I must clear first, though most things are out of the way now.

So far as a version that Navman users can use - it may be better if one person takes it upon themselves to take my letter and create a Navman version from it, not least as I don't have Smart ST Pro 2 myself. However, I'll try to make it as generic as I can.

Keep watching the forums - I want to try to get this done soon.

David
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no!!!
having sat on my hands and credit card, reading through the threads for a couple of weeks after the upgrade started shipping, i "confidently" ordered my upgrade, assuming the only major gripe was the lack of M6 toll road.
UPS tried delivering to my home today, and are bringing it to my workplace tomorrow.
Having read the problem looking up addresses, i really am not looking forward to receiving this now Crying or Very sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one system is flawless. The address lookup in Navigator 3 is undeniably bad, but overall I find Navigator 3 better than Navigator 2 once I have my destination set.

If you tend to know destinations in advance and you can't find them using Navigator 3, you can either find the postcode from royalmail.com or on multimap.com (in the latter case, the WGS84 longitude and latitude are given at the bottom of the screen - you can feed those into Navigator using the Go To Coordinates feature).

David
(who is hoping to have the letter ready within a couple of days)
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I could live with a refusal to release updated maps. It is the database that is undeniably bad in both products.
I think that both TomTom and Navman need to rethink the way they have created their databases and perhaps re-release them (if it can be done seperate to the map files?) with necessary corrections and accurately addressed entries.
If errors in both products were common then I would indeed lay the blame with TeleAtlas but it is apparent that there are errors/omissions in TomTom that are not in Navman and vice-versa.
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
If you tend to know destinations in advance and you can't find them using Navigator 3, you can either find the postcode from royalmail.com or on multimap.com

THe trouble is quite a few in here, such as myself, have got it to use in their jobs to replace the big box full of A to Zs they normally carry around. You should see my box of street/county maps. Its that heavy that the car suspension drops when I pop it in the back.

Just to add, TomToms routing makes NO sense. It has some vey strange ideas of what classes as an optimal route.

I've come to the conclusion that I can plan A to B far better than it can but once you get to B then its great at finding where you want to be....providing you know the postcode Rolling Eyes
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
If you tend to know destinations in advance and you can't find them using Navigator 3, you can either find the postcode from royalmail.com or on multimap.com

THe trouble is quite a few in here, such as myself, have got it to use in their jobs to replace the big box full of A to Zs they normally carry around. You should see my box of street/county maps. Its that heavy that the car suspension drops when I pop it in the back.

Just to add, TomToms routing makes NO sense. It has some vey strange ideas of what classes as an optimal route.

I've come to the conclusion that I can plan A to B far better than it can but once you get to B then its great at finding where you want to be....providing you know the postcode Rolling Eyes
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:
To be honest, I could live with a refusal to release updated maps. It is the database that is undeniably bad in both products.

To clarify, my "re-issue maps" comments have been simply because the database is part of the maps. I'd be happy enough if TomTom reissued the same mapping data with a fixed database. Updating to the latest TeleAtlas data would be nice (and if they feel they've got to start again to build fixed maps, a good idea - that way they'll most likely get M6 Toll), but fixing the Navigator 3 database is the important issue.

I understand that you're hoping for the same from Navman.

David
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
I understand that you're hoping for the same from Navman.

Yes.
However there are very few posts in the Navman forums despite errors and omissions in the database. It could be that there are overwhelmingly more TomTom users on here than Navman, Sad thats why I am following this thread with interest.
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm finding the postcode database is not up to date anyway. Can anyone else find the folowing addresses:

SWANWICK BUSINESS PARK
BRIDGE ROAD
SWANWICK
SOUTHAMPTON
SO31 7GB

and

Gatwick Road
Crawley
West Sussex
RH10 9RG.

I couldn't, until I resorted to Digitools postcode finder, which has both.

Both also appear in my 1999, free magazine cover CD copy of Routmaster!
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, only the Southampton one appears in Routefinder, but the other does appear on Multimap, and the road is in TomTom! It's just if you search for it by name, you think you've found the wrong one as the postcode is different!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, using ttn3, I can find gatwick road RH10 ok - providing its just off the A2011 - the other one I'm less sure as it only brings one bridge road road up (which has a different post code) .
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's RH10 2, which I think proves my point!

Not knowing Crawley, I'd assume RH10 2 was a long way from RH10 9, and in fact if you navigate to RH10 2, you end up 1.5 km from where I wanted to go, which is at the other end of that very long road.

I think I know what the issue is; where a road is long enough to have several postcodes (even excluding the last two letters), it only appears once in the database, with just one of the postcodes. So Gatwick Road Crawley is only recoeded against RH10 2, Hazleton Way Cowplain (which can't be found at all in Waterlooville - it's post town) only appears against PO8 0, etc etc etc.

What on earthe is the point of that? That is no better than, in fact is worse than no postcode support at all - at least before you could search on a road name and be sure you found it, whereas now many times your search (on postcode) will return nothing.

Also, why is it that when I tell it to look in Southampton, it returns streets with Guildford post codes? If I wanted to search Guildford, I'd have told it Guildford wouldn't I? Why bother with Cities at all, why not just go straight to regions if entering a town dousen't narrow the search?
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used ttn3 for a couple of weeks I now just enter the county - street finding is hopeless!

I've just had a rant about this in the other thread, very dissapointing for mature product to make such a massive backwards step.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gatwick Road
Crawley
West Sussex
RH10 9RG.

Gatwick Road isn't in RH10 9xx! Most of it, from the A2011 roundabout up to the Radford Road roundabout, is in RH10 2xx and the small portion from Radford Road roundabout to the A23 is in RH6 0xx.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: