Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 200W 'other options'?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 200W 'other options'?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 200W 'other options'? Reply with quote

Hi all.
I chose the Garmin Nuvi 200W following a couple of mad days researching (ended up not seeing the wood for the trees so made a decision).
More than pleased with it so far (took a while to initiate the satellites and I hope it isn't this long each time I turn the device one - a cheaper Binatone model I borrowed found satellites much quicker).

I was wondering if anybody knew of a way to have the 'speedometer' on a the same time (bottom left of screen) rather than the arrival time? In fact, the speedometer is in that position for a short time before it switches to the arrival time (I know there is another screen to check speeds etc). I read on the net that some of the 200W are shipped with the speedometer here (but that could've been a throwaway comment confused with the initial position on the screen as with mine). Actually, this 'review' also states there is a way to alter the keyboard layout to 'qwerty' - I'm half wondering if this consumer review was in fact a mischievous Garmin employee?!

Are any of these options possible or am I'm just (as usual) living in cloud cuckoo land....?

Many thanks.
retracert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nuvi 200w has the option of qwerty or abcde keyboard layout. It is running V5.0 software and the option is located in Tools/Settings/System in the bottom right hand corner.

It also displays the speed and arrival continuously as separate items on the map display one either side of the menu button.

Locating Satellites does take a while the first time you turn on or if the nuvi has been updated or turned off for a long period of time. The delay is the PND searching to update it`s database of accessible satellites.
Taylor1966
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it an option to display speed and arrival time? If so how do you activate it? I have arrival time and distance to next turn on my 200w and would prefer speed.
retracert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not an option on my Nuvi 200w. The speed , arrival and distance to next turn (upper LH corner) are all display as standard on the 3D map. If yours is different either you do not have the lastest software installed or you have an older 200W. I read that there are more that one type of chipset/OS installed in the 200w.

I believe mine has the same operating system as the 205W with some features not implimented, such as the option for traffic avoidance. It is available in the avoidance menu but it does not have the receiver (or anyway to connect one) to accept the traffic broadcasts. When I use the Webupdate software after it tells me the o/s software is up to date it offers the GTMxx traffic update and nuvi 2x5 help files updates along with the voice updates etc..
loobs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Soma:

I just came across this forum and saw your problem that I had once. I'm using Nuvi 200 but i think Nuvi 200W should work the same way too.

You may toggle between speed and arrival time by pressing on it for a few seconds while navigating (remember; only while navigating to a destination).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: