Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Configuring compass for TT 910?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Configuring compass for TT 910?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy-P wrote:
Buy a real compass and stick it on the dash. you'll see it agrees with the TomTom.

I don't want a real compass any more than I want a map of the sky at night to steer by the stars.

All I want to know/check-out is that, say, I'm travelling the RIGHT way (east, 3 o'clock) instead of the wrong way (west, 9 o'clock).

Instead I've got to be distracted from the usual mayhem on the roads while, for eg, I think: Oh yes, the pointer is pointing north when it's at 7 o'clock. Where the hell am I going? Sort of southish, I suppose.

Come on. Can't this technology help us any better than that?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to know the heading information select it as one of the displayed items in Change Preferences/ Status Bar Preferences - Mike
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks
My heads in a whirl after reading this topic on the compass. I thank God that when using my Tomtom I haven’t the slightest interest in looking at any type of compass, magnetic or the Tomtom one. I’m always following the route planned by my device and cant for the life of me see the reason for having a compass displayed. Can someone enlighten me please.

So far (I have been using GPS for a few years) my Tomtom has never sent me North when I wish to go South and its never sent me West when I have wished to go East. So, can someone explain why the compass is so important.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question! Some seem to consider a compass should be some magical pointer to destination or perform other tasks and get quite annoyed when it does what it is supposed to do, point North!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All I want to know/check-out is that, say, I'm travelling the RIGHT way (east, 3 o'clock) instead of the wrong way (west, 9 o'clock).

How would it help? There are many times on journeys where you are travelling in the wrong direction to your destination. For example on the way to my in-laws there's a section of the M1 where i am travelling away from them for a short period rendering this information usless. Same again on some sections of the M25. In fact the first 4-5 miles of my route are spent travelling south on a journey from London to Newcastle. How would the compass pointing at my in-laws house help?
navtrav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 asked:
can someone explain why the compass is so important?

For me, in a big motorhome, following TomTom down obscure unnamed roads with occasional passing places, or through city centre alleys only designed for a horse and cart (as has happened in Europe) I cannot blindly follow computer-generated Kate or whoever's instructions - I have to deviate but still know I'm heading in the right direction.

This will apply to folk towing caravans, people in hired vans, people with horse boxes, lorry drivers...the list goes on. As far as routing goes, TomTom only sees as their market people on motorbikes or in Noddy Smart cars.

Darren totally forgets that on old TomToms, the 'compass' was as he would say 'magical' - ie configurable so users could overcome the present short-coming and get it to acutally point in the direction you are travelling.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:
I cannot blindly follow computer-generated Kate or whoever's instructions - I have to deviate but still know I'm heading in the right direction.

I have never paid much attention to the compass so forgive me if I am missing something.

But since the TomTom will re route you whatever deviation you make, you will always end up going in the right direction irrespective of the compass reading.

My first few trips to Florida I found a compass essential to get orientated with paper maps due to the entry and exit layouts of interstates, and city grids for example, but now with sat nav I find that is no longer necessary.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Good question! Some seem to consider a compass should be some magical pointer to destination or perform other tasks and get quite annoyed when it does what it is supposed to do, point North!

Nothing 'magical' about it and I have previously pointed out why I liked it. So, to answer Trevor (apart from the reasons Navtrav has mentioned). It is sometimes fun to set the destination and, with the compass pointing there. to meander in that general direction, taking whatever road looks interesting. Also, in the Pyrenees, I have found myself with 10 miles to travel by road and heading East, but my destination is West with the distance to destination showing on the cld compass as 2 miles, which can be quite amusing.
Maybe Roussillat could incorporate it in Tripmaster? Or some other clever soul write a programme to display the old type compass?

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I always look out for the moss on the trees - it ALWAYS grows on the East side. Or maybe that's the West side? Confused

alanji wrote:
in the Pyrenees, I have found myself with 10 miles to travel by road and heading East, but my destination is West with the distance to destination showing on the cld compass as 2 miles, which can be quite amusing.

I think navtrav might disagree with the classification "amusing"! But I think it would make a good You've Been Framed clip to film him doing the Matterhorn in a camper van in order to travel in the right direction!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Personally, I always look out for the moss on the trees - it ALWAYS grows on the East side. Or maybe that's the West side?

Come on Dennis. You should know all Moss points North until TomTom said it should point to your destination.....
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi navtrav
I must point out that I do drive a large vehicle and never, never follow blindly the route that Tomtom has planned for me. I always go to map Mode and check the route that has been generated and if it does not suit me I soon enter a waypoint to take me the way I want to go.

I agree that folk like Captain Scott needed a compass (and look what happened to him) on his journey to and from the South Pole but in this modern day and age I think that a Tomtom without compass facility wins hands down.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we need some distinction here between the features that used to be present under the TomTom 'compass' and that have now been removed and the features of a compass in general?

Yes we acknowledge that TomTom dumbed down the compass in software updates, to the extent that it now only functions as a compass.

Complaints that the compass as is does not offer the features that were once available are understandable. But that does not change the fact that as it now stands it operates in exactly the way a compass is intended to!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren
I apologise, I appear to have wandered off the original question as posted by jksinrod.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navtrav wrote:

OK, this my last try, then I'll give up...

I can leave my house and go east or west:

If that's not clear, put the heading on the status bar.

We would all like the old "pointer" back where you could set it to show the direction towards your destination, but that's simply not on offer at the moment.
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
OK, this my last try, then I'll give up...

I can leave my house and go east or west:

How do you know which way your house is pointing? Smile Maybe you have trees with moss on them?

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: