Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Before downloading new TT App, how can I save my settings?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Before downloading new TT App, how can I save my settings?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mantai
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Before downloading new TT App, how can I save my settings? Reply with quote

I have a recommended TT 930 download to update the main application. But I have done this before, and when I do, I lose all my warn and voice settings for the camera database, and have to reset these all manually again. Does anyone know which files I need to archive and recopy back, before and after the app download, so that I don't need to keep resetting these? I saw it on the website once, but can't find it anymore.
Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the file is "MapSettings.cfg" and it resides in the map folders, there will be one in the North American folder and another in the Western_and_Central_Europe folder.

Recently map/ application updates have resulted in a loss of this file, even with it backed up, the new software cannot read the old MapSettings.cfg so it wipes it out and creates a new (empty) copy. If you copy the old file to the new map folder you might find the device constantly rebooting - Mike
Pauldp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on another website and tried it so it does work:

If you find your device constantly rebooting:

1. connect your TT to the computer.
2. Using explorer delete mapsettings.cfg from the map folder.
3. operate your Go from the computer. I am on the latest app and Home downloaded a new file to be able to do this, so it works with the latest navcore.
4. Give it a new home position.
5. Disconnect your Go from the computer.

It now works with the new map! The settings are all gone, but it saves a bit of mucking about. Apparently the format of the mapsettings.cfg file has changed with the version upgrade of navcore.

Hope this is of help to people.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have a copy of the old MapSettings.cfg file you can convert this to a custom POI file in the ov2 data format. This custom POI file will not suffer each time a map or application is changed and can store thousands of locations.
I ditched using the favourites option quite some time back as it is unreliable, have a read of This Page for a few ideas on converting the files - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pauldp wrote:
I found this on another website and tried it so it does work:

If you find your device constantly rebooting:

1. connect your TT to the computer.
2. Using explorer delete mapsettings.cfg from the map folder.
3. operate your Go from the computer. I am on the latest app and Home downloaded a new file to be able to do this, so it works with the latest navcore.
4. Give it a new home position.
5. Disconnect your Go from the computer.

It now works with the new map! The settings are all gone, but it saves a bit of mucking about. Apparently the format of the mapsettings.cfg file has changed with the version upgrade of navcore.

Hope this is of help to people.

If it still loses your settings, I don't see the point.. You might as well JUST delete the file you copied over as the system will recreate a new, blank file when it reboots.

I have heard that connecting to Home WITHOUT deleting the copied MapSettings.cfg file and adding a new favourite could recover them all.
Not tried that though... Ifind it quicker to just re-input thae warning settings and at least I know I'm then working with a 100% compatible file version.
Pauldp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadnt realised that deleting mapsettings.cfg would be recreated by the Go, only by home. So yes you are right.

OK. Tried some stuff.

Deleted the new mapsettings.cfg file to see if it will start - it does.
Put the old mapsettings.cfg back in and ran up home and it could read the old format file. deleted a favourite I didnt want. And yes it reboots with all the old settings now in the new version.

I'll put on here if any bugs appear.

Seems like the way to go, although, fixing the bug would be better!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trouble is, TT don't see it as a bug.
I was told they consider it a "bonus" that we were ever able to copy the old file across (even though it appears in one of their Helpfiles and that hasn't been updated to say it doesn't work any more either!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: