Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x20 and x30 TTS voice stutter and map lag petition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x20 and x30 TTS voice stutter and map lag petition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullyterrier wrote:
bensonboo wrote:
I'm afraid I disagree, I run a 920 with 8.301 and have no problems.

So why post on this thread then!

Purely to demonstate that not everyone is suffering from these problems. Rolling Eyes
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apwood wrote:
bensonboo wrote:
I'm afraid I disagree, I run a 920 with 8.301 and have no problems and we've no way of knowing the percentage of users that do. Even if you do suffer, it is only under certain configurations so while a petition to Tomtom may be a good idea, I very much doubt a lawful case would have any standing.
An irritation - yes, so alter the configuration.
A farce - No.

I'd be interested in what "configuration" you are using. I have tried a varety of configurations, including removing all but the most basic options (no TMC traffic, no Handsfree phone, no POIs) - the problems still happen no matter what configuration I use. I think that you must be one of the lucky ones either because you don't use the device enough to cause the problems to appear or because you are not using the text to speech facilities for reading out road signs / street names.

I use TMC for any journeys around the M25 mainly, literally in the last few days I've added a hands free phone, but because it doesn't copy the contacts list properly I won't be continuing this and I don't have any POI groups showing except the one group I made of sites I visit. I do approx 250 miles a day and the Tomtom is on for all of it.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bensonboo wrote:
apwood wrote:
bensonboo wrote:
I'm afraid I disagree, I run a 920 with 8.301 and have no problems and we've no way of knowing the percentage of users that do. Even if you do suffer, it is only under certain configurations so while a petition to Tomtom may be a good idea, I very much doubt a lawful case would have any standing.
An irritation - yes, so alter the configuration.
A farce - No.

I'd be interested in what "configuration" you are using. I have tried a varety of configurations, including removing all but the most basic options (no TMC traffic, no Handsfree phone, no POIs) - the problems still happen no matter what configuration I use. I think that you must be one of the lucky ones either because you don't use the device enough to cause the problems to appear or because you are not using the text to speech facilities for reading out road signs / street names.

I use TMC for any journeys around the M25 mainly, literally in the last few days I've added a hands free phone, but because it doesn't copy the contacts list properly I won't be continuing this and I don't have any POI groups showing except the one group I made of sites I visit. I do approx 250 miles a day and the Tomtom is on for all of it.

Well i'm afraid your one of the lucky ones!

I have a 920 & a 720, and both are cursed with the stutter.

Out of interest what voice are you using and which version is it?
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bensonboo wrote:
bullyterrier wrote:
bensonboo wrote:
I'm afraid I disagree, I run a 920 with 8.301 and have no problems.

So why post on this thread then!

Purely to demonstate that not everyone is suffering from these problems. Rolling Eyes

But this is a thread to collect names and complaint log numbers for a petition for those people that do have problems with the stuttering and map lag!
zaffy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bensonboo"but because it doesn't copy the contacts list properly I won't be continuing this.[/quote]

Open your TomTom with windows explorer, open the contacts folder and copy a txt file (contacts.txt) made with notepad into it. Looks like this:

"Name","number","DEFAULT"

and you have your own contacts list

SORRY JUST REALISED I POSTED ON WRONG THREAD
titanflux
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: TomTom are rubbish Reply with quote

Similarly to the creator of this thread, I paid for the quarterly map updates when Navcore 8.3 was first released in order to take advantage of the new features on my TT520.

I am sick to the back teeth of the rubbish responses from TomTom support whose only answer is to use standard voices or downgrade to 8.2x and lose the ability to use new map features! As someone who does 25k+ miles per year it's all intolerable.

Not only do I have to stick with the "simple" voices becuase the stutter ing starts within 5 mins of starting a journey, but also the automatic traffic recalculation no longer works most of the time, the thing reboots itself during journeys and loses the route in the process, and also it sometimes loses the ability to pick up GPS altogether.

I will NOT be buying another TomTom in future and will get a new car with BMW Professional sat nav instead! Perhaps even an RAC sat nav would be better....

In the meantime I am thinking of using Mike's fix of using Navcore 8.320 and reinstalling the voices, which has been copied by TomTom support it seems - but does it definitely work and will it affect my TT traffic and speed camera functions?

Oh, and for what it's worth, logged on 081129-000191.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom are rubbish Reply with quote

titanflux wrote:
In the meantime I am thinking of using Mike's fix of using Navcore 8.320 and reinstalling the voices, which has been copied by TomTom support it seems - but does it definitely work and will it affect my TT traffic and speed camera functions?

The 8,320 "fix" isn't 100% but its still better than anything offered to date, there are still issues with this such as mp3 playback but its a step in the right direction.
TT Traffic shouldn't be affected, and the Speed Camera database from this site runs fine, I have no idea what it will do with a TT Safety Camera database though - I don't have the TT offering installed to the 720

Take a full Windows Explorer backup as per the instructions and you can soon revert back to official software on your device should you hit a problem - Mike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

090212-009868
loriannod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ticket was 081116-002272
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I was one of the first people to suffer this stutter and map lag - it happened on my very first drive out, the morning after I'd downloaded and installed 8.300. So I instantly reverted to my backup of the previous application - with my mileage, I don't have time to muck about fiddling with this that and the other. My previous experiences with TT Support persuaded me to not even bother telling them about stutter and lag!

I was eventually advised by Mike that a v7 voice might be the cure. I happened to still have a backup of a GO730 which I bought (and returned for refund within 24 hours - same old hands free business). I copied the entire Loquendo folder from that backup onto my 920 and I have NOT suffered the stutter or lag since - maybe two stutters a week ago, but maybe not. There is no difference in screen refresh rate with my 720 running alongside it running App 8.010 and map 810. The two devices mostly speak in unison, but each one will take its turn at being the first with the occasional instruction (so that the other sounds like an echo), but they say the same instruction at the same speed.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the stutter only with computer voice but not with my Jane.

Don't know what all the fuss is about.

Does the OP belong to a trade union.

Perhaps we should all go on strike and hold Gordon Brown to ransome. Rolling Eyes
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 081127-000587

Also had the following reply from TT support this morning:

Quote:
Yes you are pushing the processor to its limits , Under these circumstances the occasional stutter is inevitable .

I have responded with the following:

Quote:
Chris, I was very disappointed in your response. I bought a device that promised:

BT handsfree
FM + Jukebox
RDS-TMC Traffic

At no point does the handbook or literature say that if I use all three it will not work properly. I will not be able to understand the instructions and it will tell me to take the next turn after I have passed the junction. Your response means that TomTom has accepted the GOx20 range is not fit for purpose, i.e. not of merchantable quality.

I would be most obliged if TomTom would either fix the problem or replace it under warranty with a model that offers at least the same functionality, has the same map coverage and does work.

I believe that I have been very patient and it is time this fault was fixed.

GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

Perhaps we should all go on strike and hold Gordon Brown to ransome. Rolling Eyes

People have paid hundreds of £s to buy a device that is advertised as undertaking certain functionality (text to speech) and then a further £40 or more to buy new maps only to find that the application that comes with the new maps not only stops the text to speech working (so they get no signposts, road numbers and streetnames read out) but also causes lag in the display so they receive instructions too late to act on them. Its quite understandable that they are upset - they are not getting functionality that they have paid a lot of money for, and in some cases due to lag aren't even getting basic functionality. So they either have to hack their own devices to get them (partly|) working, or go back to the old application and stop using the new map they have paid for. Its especially galling that after 3 months it hasn't been fixed even though (1) the problem is easily replicated so should be easy to identify the cause (2) the hacks show it can be fixed. It wouldn't be such an issue if TomTom offered a partial refund, at least for the new maps - but they have been mostly pretending its not their fault.

In these circumstances, with TomTom seemingly unwilling to take things seriously and give good customer service or refunds, the only option is to try to put pressure on them through the media or by legal means.
Western and Central Europe v825.2157
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

I stood in an Halfords shop and was demoed the computer voices and was very impressed, that sold the unit for me, I choose my 720 against all other makes or models because it could do this. I could go back to a paper-map, that always worked for me, but the feature set was perfect for my needs, so thats what the fuss is about. You can have 2 Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes as some of us expect at least some sort of customer service.

I think Gordon Brown would be over qualified to run Tom Tom......
apwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From some of the replies above, it seems to be that TomTom are under the illusion that part of the problem is that these devices are now being asked to do more than their processing power allows, hence the stuttering.

My testing strongly suggests this is not the case.

I have disabled all advanced functionality including traffic, handsfree, POIs - just used the very basic functionality with text to speech.

The problem still happens.

It seems clear to me that the processor is only being pushed too far due to bad programming or design, possibly memory leaks or whatever. The very fact that resetting / clearing memoryh, and using other (less compressed) voices shows this. Why issue voices that require too miuch processing power to work correctly, why should the memory need clearing - the programming should take care of this automatically.
Western and Central Europe v825.2157

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: