Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A30 Exteter northbound Specs cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A30 Exteter northbound Specs cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jc50
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: A30 Exteter northbound Specs cameras Reply with quote

Approaching Exeter northbound the Specs cameras carry on past the roadworks for about a mile and onto the M5 entry slip. Although the 50mph signs continue there was no coning and it is very confusing and misleading to suddenly see another specs camera.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it confusing and misleading if the lower speed limit is still in force?

Until you see the national speed limit sign signifying the end of the lower limit you should assume the SPECS zone still operates as there is no such thing as an 'END of SPECS Zone' sign.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A30 Exteter northbound Specs cameras Reply with quote

jc50 wrote:
Approaching Exeter northbound the Specs cameras carry on past the roadworks for about a mile and onto the M5 entry slip. Although the 50mph signs continue there was no coning and it is very confusing and misleading to suddenly see another specs camera.
Is this camera not in the database? If not, have you submitted it?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A30 Exteter northbound Specs cameras Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

I think these are in as pSPECS currently awaiting confirmatiomn/verification?
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A30 Exteter northbound Specs cameras Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:

I submitted some rough locations last week regarding these both north and southbound, just awaiting verification.

OT. Does anyone know Jogurt (of 3rd party app fame) well enough to encourage/entice/bribe him to write a POI recording app. Just needs a stab of screen (kind of like the screen capture facility) to record lat/lon and id number to enable more accurate recording of cameras as they are passed.

Jogurt appears to know his way round the workings of the TT firmware to write his apps
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A30 Exteter northbound Specs cameras Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
OT. Does anyone know Jogurt (of 3rd party app fame) well enough to encourage/entice/bribe him to write a POI recording app. Just needs a stab of screen (kind of like the screen capture facility) to record lat/lon and id number to enable more accurate recording of cameras as they are passed.

Whilst there are still some things that are possible without the SDK Support that TT withdrew, a POI recording App isn't one of them sadly Crying or Very sad
Quote:
Jogurt appears to know his way round the workings of the TT firmware to write his apps

As do we, we wrote the original app Wink
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A30 Exteter northbound Specs cameras Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
I submitted some rough locations last week regarding these both north and southbound, just awaiting verification.
Someone send Dennis back down south!! Laughing

Rick-uk wrote:

An interesting idea. POICapture was written using the SDK, but TT withdrew that.
If TT get annoyed with these people hacking the firmware, they can change it (a little) at each release to stop all the hacks working. I know that this is the traditional manufacturer/hacker game, but it depends how dedicated Jogurt (et al) are.
However, to improve over the recording methods that Andy_P has already highlighted, it would really need to be at least as accomplished as POICapture. (In your example above, how would the app know whether you were recording a new camera or relocating an existing one?)
POICapture was, despite the name, only for recording cameras, but a proper POI recorder would be great. It would have to offer you the type of POI and then ask relevant questions. Sounds quite complicated. Darren, possibly Lutz and Jogurt could (virtually) put their heads together?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the screen lag/refresh rate from v8.3 so bad, I don't trust it to locate anything accurately as I pass it any more. Crying or Very sad
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A30 Exteter northbound Specs cameras Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
As do we, we wrote the original app Wink

I knew that Thumbs Up

In my scenario it would not need to know the minute details. All I would require is something to record a POI into a previously defined poi category. This category info could even be hardcoded into the app. All that would have to be recorded would be a unique identifier eg time-road-direction. At present if you try to use the add favourites it defaults to the road name/number and when I was doing the A30 last week I had to consciously amend this name, before I could do the next or it would overwrite. I could then load the poi file into either TYRE or POI Edit and I would have the details and a more accurate location of my edit. If necessary I would be able to record on paper at a safe stopping location what the POI referred to (change, new, remove etc).

I haven't used Jogurt's Height app but while this is running he must have access to the LAT/LON and I presume he is not using any SDK which as you say was withdrawn.

I am not a programmer and am just thinking aloud and appreciate that what I am thinking may not be possible

Andy, I was not too happy with the accuracy of some of the locations I recorded which is what started me on this discussion.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday, using the method described by Andy in the link I can't find but he will (!!), using the mark location of map error on the quickmenu icon, I was able to record 10 new Specs cameras on M1 and A180, in amongst verifying another 30 or so between Avonmouth and Immingham. I have the advantage of doing quite a lot of verifying, so I'm practised at it and have a scratch pad suckered to my windscreen for jotting. Mind you, I do it on the 720, which doesn't have the "benefit" of 6.300 and the leisurely map refresh rate! Twisted Evil

That method beats the Favourites option hands down.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sooner said, than done....
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=411960#411960 Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now stickied

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: