Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map corrections experiment
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map corrections experiment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Map corrections experiment Reply with quote

WLMOATE wrote:
How about we perform our own experiement. First one person creates a change to a minor road, then we increment this reporting by one until it is noticed by a user that has their TT set to many.
If we could get 20 users then we could try see what the trigger point is

Good idea and a bit of fun. I have my preferences set to "Medium" ie reported by many, trusted & TomTom.
So, if people would care to 'block' the layby which follows - it is one of these annoying ones that TT insists you "keep right" at and are very common on the A30. Once you have reported it to TT, post here that you have done so, then I and any others who wish to, can check when it becomes a downloaded correction.

Procedure:

browse map
Find
Latitude, Longitude
N 50.78256
W 3.25107
Cursor button
Correct location
(Un)block street
Westbound
Done
Share with others
connect to Home and upload corrections.

Maybe we should limit the number of people per day submitting the correction as we do not know haow often TT process the corrections - say 3 per day max? (If we can get 3 that is)

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a non-participant, may I nevertheless make a small point? It is suggested that corrections only affect the map on which it is submitted - e.g. UK&ROI map corrections will NOT be applied to Western Europe map and vice versa.

So it would be best for each person to specify precisely which map and precisely which version s/he has made that correction on. It may also be relevant which version of Home you're all using.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
As a non-participant, may I nevertheless make a small point? It is suggested that corrections only affect the map on which it is submitted - e.g. UK&ROI map corrections will NOT be applied to Western Europe map and vice versa.

So it would be best for each person to specify precisely which map and precisely which version s/he has made that correction on. It may also be relevant which version of Home you're all using.

Good point, Dennis. I know you do not use mapshare to download but you could upload the correction if you felt so inclined.

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that mapshare corrections were only released weekly now. If that is true then the experiment only works if a few people make the change each week. The experiment could run for some time. Confused
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mapshare updates almost daily for the last 3 or 4 days now! We tried a similar exercise once with a street name near me. Labelled as 'Chyll edge' but is actually 'Gyhll edge'.

co-ords are N55.17053, W1.71164

iPhone 12
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I stand corrected. I have just downloaded new mapshare corrections only 4 days after the previous set.

That road is still shown as Chyll Edge on UK & ROI map v815.2024 when accepting Corrections reported by some. This seems to indicate that mapshare corrections are not even shared between different sub-versions of the same map release but for different devices.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's an answer to one of the questions in the thread which generated this tester thread - "Who is Trusted?"

You'd think Falkirk81 would qualify for that description as he has been nominated the most prolific Mapshare Corrections submitter in the UK.

Tell us Falkirk, how many times have you submitted Ghyll Edge since you first reported to us on 6th November 2007 that you had changed it on maps 675, 705 and 710? Was it Chyll or Ghyll on your brand new GO940 (if you've received it yet)? It's still Chyll on my maps (W&CE 815.2003 and WE 810.1907). Yes, I don't download Mapshare corrections because I don't trust any of them. BUT TomTom's top submitter has put this one forward long before the last how many map revisions, but it still hasn't made its way into the maps. Despite TomTom now owning TeleAtlas the map maker AND TomTom advertising that Mapshare allows you to have your map updated as fast as you-know-what off a hot shovel. Maybe I bought my TomTom devices in order to get Mapshare so that I can navigate at last to Ghyll Edge? Maybe that's why I don't bother with Mapshare downloads? Mapshare serves TomTom, not me!!

And yes indeed pcaouolte it has been concluded here that unless you own exactly the same TT model, running exactly the same application version and exactly the same map and map version, you will NOT get any mapshare corrections. Back when I used to care, my mapshare corrections were not transferred between my devices. Any corrections I made had to be repeated on each of my other devices and when I had three devices, it was a right royal pain in my nether regions.

falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you DennisN, I would assume my corrections carried a bit more weight as i do submit almost everything i come across using mapshare!

When it comes to 'Ghyll Edge', I have submitted that name change with every map version since mapshare started from map v6.75 i believe.

I personally use only trusted users and tomtom verified corrections for my own device. Using the latest maps (v8.15) this street name is still not corrected.

My new 940 hasn't arrived yet, but as the map I'm currently running is still the latest, the road name will not have changed!

iPhone 12
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also corrected "Brewhouse Road" to "Brewhouse Lane" in Putney London SW15 on every single map version I've owned (and that's a few).
Now it seems every time I pass it, I have to work out just WHY yet again it is not even showing the correction to me!

So many software changes... it either resets the trust levels to "strict" or just loses all my corrections YET AGAIN Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, for the experiment, I have set your layby to be blocked in both directions on:

1. the W+CE "Large" v815.2003 Map on my 940

2. the W+CE "Large" v810.1934 map on my 720
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Anyway, for the experiment, I have set your layby to be blocked in both directions on:

Thanks, Andy - not corrected on my downloaded mapshare corrections yet - so it takes more than one - think we knew that Laughing
91211 corrections in use

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanji wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

Thanks, Andy - not corrected on my downloaded mapshare corrections yet - so it takes more than one - think we knew that Laughing
91211 corrections in use

It's not going to correct on yours! Compare your setup with his - he has W & Central E 815 map on 940 and W & Central E 810 map on 720 - you have WE 815 map on your 720. Never the twain shall meet.

Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been correcting 90% of the Slip Roads in the Peterborough area as my TT One keeps telling me to "BEAR RIGHT" to avoid going up them - ever since MapShare started..

I've even tried submitting them online to TeleAtlas - still no joy..
WLMOATE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have blocked the layby .

TomTom One V4 8.04 Map = Western_Europe_1GB 725.1905

Wayne

MY-SOS, Benefon TWIG, DriveSmart, Wayfinder
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
alanji wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

91211 corrections in use

It's not going to correct on yours! Compare your setup with his - he has W & Central E 815 map on 940 and W & Central E 810 map on 720 - you have WE 815 map on your 720. Never the twain shall meet.

We think it doesn't, Dennis. But who knows the mysterious workings of TomTom (certainly not me - or TomTom!!!). If this experiment had enough participants (unlikely) we might find out a little bit more.

Thanks for participating, Wayne.

Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Stampy72
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about to upload this corrrection on my TT One V2 running v7.903 software and the v815.2024 map of the UK and ROI!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: