Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recording Speed Cameras on TomTom Devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording Speed Cameras on TomTom Devices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Recording Speed Cameras on TomTom Devices Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am still getting to grips with a new 940 unit. On my old PDA Nav 6 unit I used the pocket GPS world software to record any new cameras. How do you do this on a go 940 unit? The unit has a record camera setting on it but as far as i can tell this is just uploaded to TomTom.

I need something where I can record the details and upload to POcket GPS world.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easiest just to temporarily record it as a favourite or map correction (using the shortcut menu) until you get chance to process it back at home.
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that tip, being used to the PDA I had it my head that there might be a bit of software that did the same as the old POI recorder we have for Nav 6

regards
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there is no specific piece of software available anymore, here's a few alternative methods of logging camera positions:

(There was a long post here, with several methods to save camera locations on the TomTom models and how to report them back to PGPSW.

I've moved it to a new "sticky" topic HERE).

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon May 14, 2012 10:32 am; edited 5 times in total
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy_P,

Some useful stuff here

best wishes
Alabama978
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Maybe I'm senile but Reply with quote

I captured 4 or 5 cameras in Netherlands at the weekend but I have a memory problem (me not the TT!)

I have a vague idea of each camera type and can remember which direction some faced but how do you guys actually record that info? I could not stop and write it down as I was pretty much on a scheduled trip and already late due to traffic.

I remembered the type by memorizing a letter each time I passed one...

GGTGGR e.g. Gatso, Truvelo, Redlight etc.

I was pretty pleased too as none of the cameras appear on the database
Very Happy but obviously I can't remember all the info.
[/b]
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Maybe I'm senile but Reply with quote

Alabama978 wrote:

I have a vague idea of each camera type and can remember which direction some faced but how do you guys actually record that info? I could not stop and write it down as I was pretty much on a scheduled trip and already late due to traffic.

I use the voice recording function on my mobile phone.
dandpclements
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using TT Navigator 7 and I think this is the simplest /safest way to record cameras when driving.

Before setting off go into menu / map corrections / correction preferences and set the "show report button" to be on. You now get a "square" on the navigation map which you can press to record your position - unfortunately you will need to remember the camera type.

You can now process the captured data offline by going into map corrections again. I add the correction as a POI - it only apears to allow creation using the TT poi categories. This does present some difficulty:
a) In TT I cannot use a POI category of my own and therefore create an ov2 file to send in direct
b) I can get the co-ordinates but the manual entry on the pocketgpsworld website doesnt allow co-ordinates to be changed once I've displayed the approximate position

Does anyone know the format of an ov2 file so I could create one manually?

Thanks in anticipation

Dave
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy way to create your own ov2 file is to use Excel or even NotePad on the PC then use something like POIEdit to convert the file to the ov2 format, you can download POIEdit from Here or take a look at "Oldie's" web site Here for a number of utilities for file creation/ conversion - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandpclements wrote:
I'm using TT Navigator 7 and I think this is the simplest /safest way to record cameras when driving.

Before setting off go into menu / map corrections / correction preferences and set the "show report button" to be on. You now get a "square" on the navigation map which you can press to record your position - unfortunately you will need to remember the camera type.

That's basically my "Method 3b - Map Corrections" above... Smile

Quote:
This does present some difficulty:
a) In TT I cannot use a POI category of my own and therefore create an ov2 file to send in direct

The prefered method is to use the submission map now. ov2 files were only for when you could submit from the POI Capture program.

Quote:
b) I can get the co-ordinates but the manual entry on the pocketgpsworld website doesnt allow co-ordinates to be changed once I've displayed the approximate position

If you enter your Lat / Long into the "Find a Location" box above the submission map it will take you to that exact spot. (use the format 51.12345, -0.12345 in the box, where '-' is for west or south)

You can then drag the map about by click and drag, until the central pushpin is exactly where you want it and click on the "Accept this location" button. That puts the exact Lat/Long of that spot into the submission boxes and you can go on to fill out tall the other details.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Does anyone know the format of an ov2 file so I could create one manually?

It's not a simple format, but programs like POI Edit (Google to find it) can easily take a text or .csv file and convert it to ov2.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a GO720 and I tend to use the "print screen" feature by pressing the top left corner of the screen (as described elsewhere in these forums).

Problem is you don't always get a definitive location that way but if you have side roads leading off the road you are travelling on it's possible to work out where you were when you took the screen capture.

Don't know if it's possible to show the lat/long co-ordinates on teh map screen when you are driving becuase this would be the perfect solution to a one button capture method.

The less interaction with the screen whilst driving has to be the safest solution.

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickie64 wrote:

Don't know if it's possible to show the lat/long co-ordinates on teh map screen when you are driving becuase this would be the perfect solution to a one button capture method..

Not as far as I know.... They only appear on the 'Browse Map' screen, the 'route summary' screen, and the 'Where am I?' screen, all of which take more button presses. Sad

Route summary isn't bad though... you can get there in one tap on the bottom of the screen, so it's a two-tap solution if you've got the screen capture program running. Thumbs Up
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it looks like this "Screen Capture plus Route Summary page" method is a good "two-tap" solution, I've just updated my round-up of all the Screen Capture methods HERE to include Brickie64's suggestion as Method 4 Thumbs Up
Brierls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a GO 950 LIVE SatNav, and recorded several SPECS locations on the M6 yesterday using the MapShare shortcut method.

I've gone onto the unit this evening, taken down the Latitude/Longitude of each correction, and gone to enter them on the database but found they're all completely wrong? i.e. not on the M6, despite them being displayed on the M6 on the unit itself.

Has anybody seen this before? Am I doing something wrong?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because your TomTom isn't set to use Decimal Degrees in the position format option, Go to status & Information on page 3 of the main menu then select "Configure" select Degrees(d.d) as the device is set to Minutes format by default - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: