Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Legitmate TT7??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Legitmate TT7??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Legitmate TT7?? Reply with quote

I found this quote on another forum:

"Downloading TomTom Home 2.5 and connecting Orange (and maybe all variety) Diamond causes TOMTOM to offer a free trial of TOMTOM 7.9 with trial map and access to purchase others advancing the cause of those whose Diamonds did not have TOMTOM in ROM. Win for Diamond users. Win for TOMTOM map sales."

My questions are
    Has anybody else on this forum found this and tried it?

Will Home 2.5 work now with Navigator - previous versions did not and we had to go back to using version 1.5

Will TT7 be able to read the 6 version maps?

If this is correct TT are at last showing some commercial sense - too little too late I wonder
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Home 2.5.1.36 and an HTC Advantage X7510 - 16GB Flash disk, with TTN6 in ROM and maps WE660, UK&ROI675 and W&CE675 on the Flash disk.

I remember the problems I had with Home 1.5 and I'm glad to say they are distant memories as I never connect the HTC to Home anyway and Home 1.5 has long since folded its tent and disappeared.

I do have 2 other TT PNDs which work with Home when I choose to use it.

So I connected the HTC to Home and it sort of worked a bit. When I selected Update, it offered me a handful of voices which I'm not interested in, but also a Postcode file update - it said the name was unknown, but More Info said it was v701, so I downloaded and installed it. Next trip will see whether I have clagged it up!!

It wouldn't Operate my device (said it wouldn't work) and when I tried looking for maps, although map 810 was listed, it (and every other map including the three already installed on it) was annotated that it couldn't be used on my device.

So, the offer of App 7.9 was not made to me.
With this answer, I have totally exhausted my expertise with the HTC, so I don't think I'm a fruitful prospect for further consideration!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - thanks for that info.

The HTC Touch Diamond is the only platform "officially" supported by TT for TTN7, because it is the only platform you can (legally) obtain it on - preloaded on various versions of this phone in various countries (not just Germany now - several more listed).

Certainly my TT Home 1.5 recognises I have a Touch Diamond and TTN6, but does not offer much in the way of upgrades - although I did successfully buy and install Southern Africa maps via it a few weeks ago.

I have just checked TT's site and they reckon that Home 2.5 CAN be used with TTN6.
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might as well try it Peter as it won't cost anything to start with! - you should also be able to install the second newer version of Home to reside witht he older 1,5 release - there should be an option during the installer to not remove the previous version.

I wonder what would happen with other PDA's such as my Artemis or Ameo, something to try later tonight after the PNA units are updated - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - I think it is fear of mucking up what is already working fine that is stopping me!
Copilot for USA
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for updates through the German leg of TomTom.com? if you understand the language.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have installed Home 2.5 and it sort of recognises my Touch Diamond, although it thinks it is 2 devices still (same problem as 2.4), one for each of the memories!

When I hit the update it now offers me a "free" new version of software 7.910. This is obviously TTN7, so the post I quoted above is correct.

Unfortunately TT have done their level best to give me absolutely no real information about what I am getting. So can anybody help me with these questions please
    Will this version be able to read my version 6.75 maps? If not and I have to buy new maps then the offer of a "free" update is totally misleading!

Will I be given the opportunity during the installation to retain my existing TTN6? If that is the case then I can still read my "old" maps on this and can decide whether or not to buy new maps once I have decided whether TTN7 is worth the upgrade cost.

Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Will this version be able to read my version 6.75 maps? If not and I have to buy new maps then the offer of a "free" update is totally misleading!
No it won't even see the v675 or earlier maps, it will see v720 maps or v725 maps though.

peterc10 wrote:
Will I be given the opportunity during the installation to retain my existing TTN6? If that is the case then I can still read my "old" maps on this and can decide whether or not to buy new maps once I have decided whether TTN7 is worth the upgrade cost.
No the installation will remove the older Navigator 6 application if it finds it installed.

You could keep the TTN6 and TTN7 CAB files on the device then easily "switch" between the applications as it only takes a few minutes to install/ remove the applications if you want to switch between TTN6 and TTN7 - once you know it is working though the TTN6 becomes somewhat redundant, you should only need to use the Home application to purchase a map, you can download the application from the link someone posted yesterday and use that to install the application, with the device connected to your PC via Active Sync it will then download a free "City Map" - if no computer connection is available it will download the "City Map" using the phones GPRS connection- at least with this installed you will know it works on your device, then you can go for the purchase of a map using the TT Home software (v2,5) - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

once again I have to thank you for your speedy response - sometimes I think you must be just sitting there waiting for me to ask a question!.

So my "free" upgrade is going to cost me £60 in new maps (if I get the Western Europe and Southern Africa ones I have at present). My definition of "free" may be different to TT's. But then maybe I am being a bit disingenuous. After all my complaints about TT not making TTN7 available to the aftermarket, and when they do I still moan!

By the way according to the original post I quoted (from HTC forum) the free local map is included when you download using Home as well.
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
By the way according to the original post I quoted (from HTC forum) the free local map is included when you download using Home as well.
It most probably is, but I try not to use the Home software at all unless absolutely necessary and to install the TTN7 application and download the taster map doesn't require use of the Home software at all.

If I decide to purchase a map then I will need to use the Home application, as I don't have the HTC Touch Diamond I put this free "Trial" map and TTN7 application on my HTC Athena and it is quite happy to use it.

As for the upgrade being "free" they are not charging for the software, but unless you pay for a compatible map you are not going to have a working solution. I would be tempted to use TTN6 with the SA map when you travel their, unless you do this trip on a very regular basis then switch back to TTN7 on return (saves purchasing two maps) - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - thanks again for the quick response

mikealder wrote:
I would be tempted to use TTN6 with the SA map when you travel their, unless you do this trip on a very regular basis then switch back to TTN7 on return (saves purchasing two maps) - Mike

Yep I had come to that conclusion too!

I still have the latest TTN6 cab file you sent me ages ago on my PC. If I just copy the map files across to the PC will that be all I need to keep to be able to re-instal TTN6 at a later date if I want to? Or should I copy all the TT related stuff on the internal memory across?
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cab file and the map folder should be all that is required to re-apply the TTN6 package to the device, if storage space is available I would keep the CAB files (both TTN6 and 7) on the device and both the maps - although without removable storage media on your phone this might be pushing it a little bit too far - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - thanks yet again

Once I have copied across to PC I will see if the TTN7 installation deletes them from the TD. If it doen't I will leave them on. I still have 2.5MB left on the internal storage (even allowing for present TT maps) so should be more than enough to have TTN7 with Europe map whilst still keeping TTN6 with SA map
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you really mean you have 2,5GB of available space Shocked - Mike
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a G or M amongst friends Embarassed
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: