Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ear-splitting volume on GO x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ear-splitting volume on GO x40

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Ear-splitting volume on GO x40 Reply with quote

My new 940 is so loud that even the lowest setting (10%) is too loud sometimes. Does anyone else think this? Any suggestions on how to make it adjustable within a useable range?
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ear-splitting volume on GO x40 Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:
My new 940 is so loud that even the lowest setting (10%) is too loud sometimes. Does anyone else think this? Any suggestions on how to make it adjustable within a useable range?

Did you see my post about the setting for volume adjusting with noise/speed?

It seems to do this all wrong and choose the wrong volume at the wrong time.

Have you tried turning the volume/noise option off and see if the volume is then okay?
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ear-splitting volume on GO x40 Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
Did you see my post about the setting for volume adjusting with noise/speed?

It seems to do this all wrong and choose the wrong volume at the wrong time.

Have you tried turning the volume/noise option off and see if the volume is then okay?

I tried that setting both ways and it doesn't seem to make much difference. It's seems that the volume range on the x40 goes from loud (10%) to very loud (50%) to unbearably loud (100%) whereas my old GO 910 did a much more suitable almost inaudible at 10% right through to a loud but bearable level at 100%. I used to leave the 910 at around 80% before but on the new one even 10% is louder that that was.
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my 940 via bluetooth to my io play audio system today. I was ouputting both the instructions and music from the inbuilt mp3 player. However to have the music at a good volume means I am deafened by the spoken directions.

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the volume of each separately?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ear-splitting volume on GO x40 Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:

That sounds very unusual, normally people complain it doesn't go loud enough.
However, I have a couple of games installed on my 720 and sometimes then they are running, the normal voices are crushingly loud, so I assume the software volume control is turning the level DOWN from a default maximum.
This makes me think that there is a software glitch on your machine, so would advise you try a reset first, followed by reinstalling the software if that doesn't cure it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashmills wrote:
I've been using my 940 via bluetooth to my io play audio system today. I was ouputting both the instructions and music from the inbuilt mp3 player. However to have the music at a good volume means I am deafened by the spoken directions.

No... I have been badgering TomTom about the volume inconsistencies for ages and it is getting much worse now that we have hands free, extra mp3 players, FM transmission, Bluetooth etc. as well as TTS voices that are louder than normal ones.

Basically there is only the one "overall" level control (except for a "hidden" one for incoming hands-free calls incoming level). This REALLY needs to change...

What I'd like to see is a simple "volumes" page (like you get on PC sound cards) with separate sliders for
Navigation Voice, Sound Effects+Warnings, Hands-Free calls, mp3 player/audio books.
The normal volume control would then adjust ONLY the volume of the internal speaker.

So far, all TT have done as a quick fix for the poor FM transmission quality, is to completely disable the volume control on the mp3 player, so whatever it LOOKS like it's doing, the volume is actually fixed at 100%.

What I want is something like:

If you agree, I'd really appreciate it if you *and anyone else*, could complain to TomTom about it. It's the only way that anything gets done.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashmills... I should have added....
Are you sure your mp3s are loud enough?
iTunes has a setting to "normalise" the volumes of tracks, but does it in real-time so the files themselves are unchanged.

Therer are many ways to increase the volume of mp3s, but one of the best/cleverest I know of is "MP3Gain" downloadable from http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
SydEx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
nashmills wrote:

No... I have been badgering TomTom about the volume inconsistencies for ages and it is getting much worse now that we have hands free, extra mp3 players, FM transmission, Bluetooth etc. as well as TTS voices that are louder than normal ones.

Basically there is only the one "overall" level control (except for a "hidden" one for incoming hands-free calls incoming level). This REALLY needs to change...

What I'd like to see is a simple "volumes" page (like you get on PC sound cards) with separate sliders for
Navigation Voice, Sound Effects+Warnings, Hands-Free calls, mp3 player/audio books.
The normal volume control would then adjust ONLY the volume of the internal speaker.

So far, all TT have done as a quick fix for the poor FM transmission quality, is to completely disable the volume control on the mp3 player, so whatever it LOOKS like it's doing, the volume is actually fixed at 100%.

What I want is something like:

If you agree, I'd really appreciate it if you *and anyone else*, could complain to TomTom about it. It's the only way that anything gets done.

Slightly off topic here, but I have emailed TomTom support to complain about the volume on my 540. With 'Adjust volume with ambient noise' selected, I am convinced it is working the wrong way round - it is extremely loud with the car stationary, even with the level set at 35%, but very quiet at speed, and I can hardly hear the safety camera beeps.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spotted the following in an upcoming review of the 940 we're preparing over at the YourNav forum:

Quote:
Another thing that’s noticeable is the improved volume of the spoken instructions. Man, this GO is LOUD! This by itself might be something to be happy about, but we believe TomTom have overdone it a bit here: I now use the GO 940 standard at 10% volume. While driving around with a bit of external noise, 20% of volume easily cuts it. At around 60% of volume, the voice is clearly distorting, and when played at an even louder volume, it’s simply unbearable. Fortunately this is easy to adjust in the software, but we still hope TomTom will notice this as being a bit over the top, and that they quickly fix this with a software upgrade.

I didn't have this issue on the pre-release 940 I had briefly, so it must be a glitch they've just introduced.
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
With bluetooth I have a good volume range from a quiet 10% up to a good 100% for music. The problem is the voice instructions are so much louder.

I'm going to try putting some adhesive tape over the back of the internal speaker and using that on my next trip. I fired off a complaint to TomTom on Sunday but not had a response yet.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SydEx wrote:
Slightly off topic here, but I have emailed TomTom support to complain about the volume on my 540. With 'Adjust volume with ambient noise' selected, I am convinced it is working the wrong way round - it is extremely loud with the car stationary, even with the level set at 35%, but very quiet at speed, and I can hardly hear the safety camera beeps.

Yes I mentioned this in another thread. That is exactly what I am seeing as well. It is behaving the inverse of what it should.
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the OP. On my 540 the volume is barking (I can only compare it to my TT7 PPC) and it hurts my ears much above 15%...........
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the new firmware upgrade on 11th or 12th November there's been a huge improvement on this and now 30-40% is a "normal" level and 10% is reasonably quiet.

However anything above 50% is still grossly distorted...
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:
Since the new firmware upgrade on 11th or 12th November there's been a huge improvement on this and now 30-40% is a "normal" level and 10% is reasonably quiet.

However anything above 50% is still grossly distorted...

Yes but the volume auto-changing with speed is still messed up.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonstatt wrote:
Yes but the volume auto-changing with speed is still messed up.

You don't expect TomTom to fix everything in one go do you? Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: