Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO x20/x30 Series Update: 8.300(9732) Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO x20/x30 Series Update: 8.300(9732) Now Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that David, I have done a quick search and found the thread by Mike telling you how to copy from one card to a larger card.
Do you know how I could apply this to the 720 as everything is in an internal memory?
Should I copy everything on to an sd card, then delete the main memory? If I don't do this will I have problems with duplicated things conflicting?

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just copy the map folder in total to the PC then to the memory card, once you have it installed on the SD card simply remove the Map folder from the device. The application voices and all the other files/ folders can stay where they are the x20/ x30 units can share memory between the Inernal Flash and SD based memory - Mike
razor302
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: IQ Routes Tomtom 720 Reply with quote

Hi there I have just updated my maps to 8.1 version and now have the new firmware which gives me lane guidance too which works excellent on my trip to London today.

However I am puzzled how IQ routes works??

Do I have to enable it or anything as I cannot see anything in the menu to enable/disable it.

Can someone please help me on this matter?

Thank you

Razor
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
My suggestion (back in the x20 era) was to provide 100% voice control

We have asked TT why this is not possible and were told that the processor overhead necessary for the device to be constantly waiting for a command is too great to implement.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: IQ Routes Tomtom 720 Reply with quote

razor302 wrote:
However I am puzzled how IQ routes works??

Do I have to enable it or anything as I cannot see anything in the menu to enable/disable it.

You don't enable/disable it, that's the latest method of calculating your route and TomTom have chosen to make a publicity outing of it. Supposedly, it takes consideration of not simply the straight line route to your destination, but also of historic data gathered from TomTom devices when connected to Home, which tells TomTom how long it actually takes to travel from A to B along the A12345 road when driven by TomTom users. In the past, the navigating decision of "Fastest" route was probably A to B divided by mph = xx time taken, whereas A to B via C would be more mileage at mph = xx time taken, NOT fastest. (It must have been a bit more complicated than that, but you probably get my drift). Now, apparently, TomTom have gathered in loads of data about how long it takes to drive that route in real life situations and have incorporated that information into the maps. So now, it works out A to B as travelled by DennisN took him 50 minutes, as opposed to the 20 minutes the old fashioned calculation arrived at. On the other hand, A to B via C as driven by Razor, only took him 30 minutes, so Razor's route is fastest. So instead of A to B, it will route you A to B via C.

At the bottom of the screen when you've done a route, before you tap the final "Done", you'll see something like 2:36hrs 107miles Fastest Route IQ routes and you know it's done IQ routing. If you select the navigating to be for shortest route, it won't use IQ routing.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
turbo10
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pward wrote:
Interesting (and a bit of a shame) that 8.3 retains the 'old' icons rather than the refreshed icons as implemented on the x40 series (which ships with 8.2!).

Perhaps TomTom see it as another differentiator between the two ranges?

Was thinking the same thing myself, it would have been nice to have the same updated icons like the x40. Wouldn't think it would have been much more effort to do it, possibly spending more time working on another new TT model to add to the dozens that are already on the market Confused
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
razor302
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Thanks loads for the indepth overview.

It has helped me a lot.

I went into to my menu to Planning References to ensure the Fastest Route was selected and hey !! it gives to the option in the bottom right hand corner to enable and disable the IQ Routres. So now I know its working !!

Thank a lot Dennis, youre a star mate !!
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Quote:
Copied the Mapsettings.cfg file over

Don't you only have to do this when a map is updated? My favourites and everything else still remained from the previous version, or is there something else it does?

Cheers

Carl

P.S. The POIs now have a pointer at the bottom, so are slightly raised, as Mike said, I reckon they look ok.

Hi Carl,

I'm not an expert on this, but I think it holds the settings for camera and POI warnings so you don't have to set them all from new again.
I think it may be a precautionary thing, having said that when i updated the 710 to latest version lost all my settings because I didn't do it, and then had problems getting them to work again.
All is well now mind.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also don't seem to lose your computer voice selected after running the emulator in Home and then undocking.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a very quick play after updating, and It's now much easier to choose voices as they're shown as a menu and you don't have to tell it you want the same language every time. If you choose real voices for navigation and computer voices for warnings you can tick boxes for reading out road names etc, but they are grey and don't work. I think you still need computer voices selected for everything if you want road names readout.

Some of the icons are different and I think they look better, but I've already forgotten what the old ones look like. I didn't copy Mapsettings.cfg as I wasn't updating the map and everything seems ok on a quick demo.

I'll see what it's like for real in due course.

I assume if I go for the map updates, I'll get version 815 when it is available.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razor302 wrote:
Thank a lot Dennis, youre a star mate !!
Well, I have to admit that's the first time I can recall being thanked for dud information!!
DennisN wrote:
You don't enable/disable it
It must be a reward for being so good looking and sweet tempered.

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't remember it being mentioned in the thread so far but, with 8.3, one can again get pretty much the same functionality of the N7 compass by selecting 'direction' as one choice on the status bar.

If selected, the direction in letters (N, NW, etc.) shows along with the compass heading in degrees. Both appear under the satellite bars.

I, for one, like it! Bouncing

Something else .......

Seems you can now scroll through 48 rows when looking at items in a poi instead of the former 24.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm three pages and no mention of the FM Transmitter - perhaps you lot don't use it then? - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I previously said I love 8.300 because it now (seems to) retains my Hide Lane Images setting, I have now come across the speed "correction" correction.

On my 720, which I have not "upgraded" to app 8.300, I have app 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943. Map Western Europe v810.1907. With this configuration, I changed my road from no speed limit to 30mph. It showed and still shows 29mph. Hence no more speed limit changes from me, thank you very much!! I belong to the school of thought which doesn't trust any of you lot, so irrespective of Mapshare settings, I NEVER download any.

So now I go to my 920, which now has app 8.300 (9732/081030) OS:244890. Map Western and Central Europe v810.1907. My road showed no speed, so I changed it to 30mph. It now shows 31mph. I shall not be doing any more. Now 1mph is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of my home town speed limits. But in the grand scheme of an international company with millions of customers, it really is disappointing that they have corrected one bug by replacing it with another. As I recall, it was dhn who opined that the problem was incorrect use of INT and RND which I struggled for a moment or two to grasp. But now I suppose TT have swapped INT for RND UP instead of RND. I think even I could have got that correction right!! I think I might even have tested it (on every single map available) before I went to the boss and said "Hey boss, I've put it right." Thumbs Up

DinAlt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrgh - just noticed no FM out for instructions, so this really is the X40 navcore with older style Icons....

Not a good change - downgrading the older units becuase of teh penny oinching on the X40s

DinAlt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: