Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Voice alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Voice alerts Reply with quote

Hi, I have a Garmin c510 streetpilot and have downloaded the voice alerts that suit my speed alert files, speed zoned, they play ok on my laptop but not on the c510. Is this model unable to play them? I believe they need mp3, but I don't really understand what mp3 does, never got into music players. Is there no way to get voice alerts on this model? I was told to try a method of converting Ogg files some time ago on this site, but still never got it to work.
Chris
Ralph525
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, did you activate the proximity alerts in one of the software menues ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mp3 is a file format for music. Like BMP and JPG for pictures.

Does the c510 have an mp3 player?

If not then it can't use the voice alerts. There is an old version of POILoader which you might be able to use with the files converted to wav format but it's not a supported method.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Voice alerts Reply with quote

Thanks Ralph, I don't know if it is possible to alter the proximity alerts in the c510. I thought they were preset, they sound at around 800yds from the cameras. I have never found a way to do it. I do have the alerts from this site on all the time and sometimes also have the Garmin alerts on, but the latter are outdated now.
Thanks Paul for your info, I'm sure it doesn't have mp3. As I said I did ask this question some time ago before the voice alerts were set up for the Garmin, and one of you told me to try with the ogg files converted to wav which I did successfully, but still didn't make it work. Guess I will just have to stay as I am or buy a modern Sat nav.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
one of you told me to try with the ogg files converted to wav which I did successfully, but still didn't make it work.

The wav conversion was a bit hit and miss. Also there were only 2 versions of POILoader that actually handled the wav files and they were both Beta (test) versions.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Voice alerts Reply with quote

Yes I believe I was told to use a beta version at the time by MaFt ?, he did say he wasn't sure if it would work, thanks anyway Chris
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent ages trying to get the voice alarms on my C510, and never succeeded. A couple of us came to the conclusion that the alarm sounds are actually probably somewhere in the main software, not in the voice files.
chrisb80
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Voice alerts Reply with quote

Thanks David, you obviously know more about it than me, I'll just have to give up on it.
Chris

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: