Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wish List for Telmap Navigator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wish List for Telmap Navigator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Wish List for Telmap Navigator Reply with quote

I thought I would start a thread for suggestions and wishes for future versions of TelMap Navigator

1. Custom POI support
2. Multiple voice support (assuming I haven't missed this option)
3. Itinery planning to allow for multiple stops and total future routes.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine (so far)
1: Greater contrast between route roads and side roads
2: Ability to re-plan a new destination without having to cancel navigation, then re-plan.
3: Custom POI
4: More information on screen: you have to press buttons for an ETA. Press a button for number of sats, no display of traffic without pressing buttons.
5: Ability to select only Home network, so if you are abroad it checks to make sure you are really genuine about wanting access.
6: Snap to road function i.e. select nearest road automatically. Currently displays "Please get on road."
7: Ability so specify road speeds e.g. set motorway at 60 mph.
8: TTS sometimes fails e.g. "turn right into" and then silence.
9: Ability to work offline for advanced route planning (may require maps to be stored locally - these could be checked for updates on next data connection).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/ Increase volume on the PDA version

2/ The Traffic warning triangle on the main navigation screen should be a control, tapping this should take you straight to the traffic screen display, current method is not intuitive, and difficult at speed.

3/ Getting to the main menu while navigating is too difficult, make the area to tap for this larger.

4/ The two data boxes at the bottom of the screen should be user configurable, one option needs to be current speed. - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:

4: More information on screen: you have to press buttons for an ETA.

it shows the time to destination in minute though?

SimonCatlin wrote:

5: Ability to select only Home network, so if you are abroad it checks to make sure you are really genuine about wanting access.

this wouldbe handy, but at the moment i use a program (free) called 'NoData' that allows you to toggle whether data sessions are available or not - i ALWAYS turn this off when abroad after getting stung for a rather large bill as i forgot that i have copliot 7 set to automatically sends my location and also checking for traffic...

SimonCatlin wrote:

8: TTS sometimes fails e.g. "turn right into" and then silence.

i've also had thi - in my case it should have been 'turn left onto spring holes lane' that failed. not been back that way yet so unsure if it was a one-off or it simply doesn't like 3-word road names?!

mikealder wrote:
1/ Increase volume on the PDA version

i agree 1000%!!

mikealder wrote:

3/ Getting to the main menu while navigating is too difficult, make the area to tap for this larger.

i was going to post that you can't get to the main menu while navigating... obviously i've missed something - how do you get the main menu?!

mikealder wrote:

4/ The two data boxes at the bottom of the screen should be user configurable, one option needs to be current speed. - Mike

i agree

other things i'd like would be to be able to plan a route without having a gps signal. if it's a large route i'd rather plan it with the pda connected to and using my pc's internet connection rather than download over gprs - thing is, next to my pc the gps signal is non-existent!. perhaps if we could have a 'set my current location' for the initial route plan? at least then, if needed, only a small bit of data would be required to be downloaded once you actually get a gps signal and are perhaps 100-200m 'out'?

MaFt
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
SimonCatlin wrote:

4: More information on screen: you have to press buttons for an ETA.

it shows the time to destination in minute though?
MaFt

The reason I mentioned this is I would not like to get distracted from the road ahead while doing maths. It is not displayed on the Nokia N95 version, you have to press the UP key, which pops up a window with the Distance to run, Time to run, GPS strength and direction of travel. This then hides away after approx 3 seconds. If you have to press this key, you could add all the information on this "pop-up", such as ETA, Traffic Information.

One thing I really like is the direction arrow and distance in the top right hand side of the screen - this is better than TTN6 in my opinion.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry simon, i'd forgotten there were different versions :D

MaFt
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

other things i'd like would be to be able to plan a route without having a gps signal. if it's a large route i'd rather plan it with the pda connected to and using my pc's internet connection rather than download over gprs - thing is, next to my pc the gps signal is non-existent!. perhaps if we could have a 'set my current location' for the initial route plan? at least then, if needed, only a small bit of data would be required to be downloaded once you actually get a gps signal and are perhaps 100-200m 'out'?

MaFt

You can register to use the planner on the website (http://www.telmap.com/planner) but although I have planned a route and have my saved locations listed, I have yet to find out how to send this to my phone.
To register you need the serial number of your unit (its is on the about page and is different to the activation code in the email). Once set you need to restart TelMap and you will be given the initial password to use.
mattstachurski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:

The reason I mentioned this is I would not like to get distracted from the road ahead while doing maths. It is not displayed on the Nokia N95 version, you have to press the UP key, which pops up a window with the Distance to run, Time to run, GPS strength and direction of travel. This then hides away after approx 3 seconds. If you have to press this key, you could add all the information on this "pop-up", such as ETA, Traffic Information.

I prefer to press the 2 key instead of the up, that shows the eta. they should swap those over! or a blend of the 2, say a longer 10 second time out, so you dont have to press the keys twice.

Predictive text would be a very nice edition to the N95 version, i'm suprised this is missing.
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:

9: Ability to work offline for advanced route planning (may require maps to be stored locally - these could be checked for updates on next data connection).

Advance planning, not advanced planning, advanced though the advance planning might be! For years, TomTom got this wrong on its menus, let's not have Telmap get it wrong too.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally id leave the map display alone but the boxes need to be user adjustable.

the voice does need alot of work as its very quiet on my orbit 2 and jen compact3

traffic needs to have less screen tap to get to the information ie as mike alders idea of having the traffic icon live so it takes you straight to the traffic information

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGumby wrote:
SimonCatlin wrote:

Advance planning, not advanced planning, advanced though the advance planning might be! For years, TomTom got this wrong on its menus, let's not have Telmap get it wrong too.

Sorry - only got a grade C at English "O" level...
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the N95 version, the text information on the pop up box (press UP) for time to run etc does contain traffic information in the sense that it says "+5 minutes". This text needs to be a lot larger. I have good vision and I had to look twice to see what it said as it is faint and small.
MrGumby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:

Apologies, wasn't having a go at you, Simon. Didn't mean to get personal, just don't want Telmap to follow TomTom. People learn their English by reading other people's English.

"Advanced" is commonly misused; you often see road signs saying "Advanced warning" (of roadworks or whatever). No doubt the warning is very clever (advanced) but the meaning they intend is "ahead of time", so the sign should read "Advance warning".

TT Nav 6 still offers an "Advanced planning" option when they mean "Advance planning".
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGumby wrote:
SimonCatlin wrote:

Apologies, wasn't having a go at you, Simon. Didn't mean to get personal, just don't want Telmap to follow TomTom. People learn their English by reading other people's English.

"Advanced" is commonly misused; you often see road signs saying "Advanced warning" (of roadworks or whatever). No doubt the warning is very clever (advanced) but the meaning they intend is "ahead of time", so the sign should read "Advance warning".

TT Nav 6 still offers an "Advanced planning" option when they mean "Advance planning".

No offence taken - just been mentioning this to one of my colleagues and he suggested, "Pre-Planning".
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the Wish List Smile

On the Symbian S60 version for N82, I would like to see:

Custom POI's
Redlight cameras
Mobile cameras.
Automatic pause of Audio output for driving directions - (Talks over .mp3 or audiobooks), which can be confusing.

Navigation seems fine and the volume is good (but see above).

Moving from one screen to another is virtually impossible whilst driving, so I would suggest this is not done as finding the right buttons is difficult. The N82 has small keys anyway, so i think a change of destination must be carried out whislt stopped in a safe location. There's no touch screen either, which makes it worse.

Overall I am impressed with the navigation, but it should be seen as a 'set and forget' device on a phone like mine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Telmap User Group All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: