Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone buying the MEDION from Aldi on Thursday?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone buying the MEDION from Aldi on Thursday?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v_105
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Anyone buying the MEDION from Aldi on Thursday? Reply with quote

My old TomTom HP package is about to die! The wire has snapped on the plug that goes into the pocket PC so it's currently taped up and keeps going off. I've had it since 2003 so I'm pleased at the service it has given. I was looking at a TomTom One XL but compared to the Medion GoPal E3230 and think I prefer the Medion. The processor is twice as fast and it has the traffic data without subscription or use of a phone. The NAVTEQ mapping seems better from reviews I have read.
ALDI claim there is a speed(safety?) camera database installed and for a fee it can be updated. Does anyone know who supplies this?

Has anyone who uses a TomTom compared it with a Medion and is it easy to update speed cameras?

I have a load of mobile positions and also a Gatso (rear facing) to Traffistar (front facing) change to try and add in the Wirral area as it gets loads of people.

Should I stick with TomTom or take a chance on a Medion?
Is there anything terrible about Medion, does it show road names on the display as you're driving for example?

I don't want to do battle with a load of pensioners if it isn't worth it!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

The Medion is not a bad unit. I have one with the MEDION GoPal Navigator ME 4.1A on it.

Note that the safety cameras use a basic program from POI-Warner and use their partner camera supplier.

I have never used that database so cannot say how good or bad it is.

I upgraded to there full program and then use the files from here at PGPSW.

The full program can be found HERE and costs about £20

So it is a lot more complicated to go the Medion route (excuse the pun Laughing ).

The unit is quite good, and the mapping on mine is Navteq 2007/Q2

I like the Medion, and the TMC works very well (apart from the fact that the data it receives from the TMC supplier is poor).

If you click on my Signature below, it will take you to my web site. The info there is for another POI-Warner version, but it shows how it has to be programmed to work.

If you are not the tech type then I would go with the TomTom unit as it is a lot easier to put the cameras on to it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the big issue is future support. TomTom have been very good with continuous updates to software and maps allowing users of even the very earliest units to take advantage of new features.

Brands such as Medion will not be so helpful, don't expect much in the way of updates or map support in years to come.

The unit isn't a bad one but given you can get a TomTom ONE EU v2 for less than £100 I'd caution that the Medion isn't quite the bargain it may at first appear to be.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't want to do battle with a load of pensioners if it isn't worth it!

What you mean is your jealouse because the pensioners have time on their hands to beat you to the special offers on a thursday, besides taking offence at the remark and also being a pensioner, i must admit I agree so I go later in the day.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For me the big issue is future support. TomTom have been very good with continuous updates to software and maps allowing users of even the very earliest units to take advantage of new features.

With all due respect Darren, I think you may be overstating it a liitle bit, TomTom are not renowned for support, and lets face it the maps used and owned by TomTom (teleatlas) are way behind the maps of Navteq,and the improvements to their own hardware have not been spectacular compared to others, IMHO
Sorry to say your comment sounds like a TomTom salesman, No offence intended
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
With all due respect Darren, I think you may be overstating it a liitle bit, TomTom are not renowned for support, and lets face it the maps used and owned by TomTom (teleatlas) are way behind the maps of Navteq,and the improvements to their own hardware have not been spectacular compared to others, IMHO

Sorry that is absolute rubbish! TomTom are to my knowledge THE only company who have offered continual updates to their older models, you can still update a Classic GO AND buy new maps for them. As for the remark about NAVTEQ date being better that too is wholly innacurate, neither are anywhere near perfect but I can assure you NAVTEQ is no better than TeleAtlas taken as a whole. I have had the opportunity to compare their maps over many years and so have some experience in this matter!

I made no claim that TomTom had made 'spectacular' improvements btw, but they are popular for a reason, they work, have a good user interface and good design.
Quote:
Sorry to say your comment sounds like a TomTom salesman, No offence intended
Offence taken. I have no bias save that of someone who has tested and used many different units. It's my opinion, based on my experience. I have nothing to gain from recommending TomTom and indeed would dearly love another manufacture to offer something that was better, in my opinion for most units there isn't currently.

Show me a Medion that has had more than one or two updates to it's software and maps available for more than a year or two? In fact show me a Garmin or Navman that is 3+ years old and still supported by software improvements?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speak as a PDA tomtom user since ttn3, consequently feel that i also have some experience and now feel let down by them, I have seen functions slowly removed, and although ttn7 bought some improvements and obviously the main work has been done and being used on PDAs But TomTom is not issuing it, I personally do like TomTom both for its clean Interface and ease of use so at least we agree on one thing, and i am certainly not sticking up for or comparing Medion
As for Maps I dont think neither of us can verify the maps as an whole, But my benchmark is my local area where Teleatlas is 5-10 years out of date even on their website map, despite being reported numerous times wereas Navteq were uptodate 2-3yrs ago, we can probably also agree that both may be lacking in some aspects.
We both have our opinions as others may have different opinions, so i think we are going to have to beg to differ on this, so while i respect your views, hopefully you will respect mine.
Perhaps spectacular was the wrong word to use, but then it all depends on what certain users requirements are and lets face this probably differs for nearly every user.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
aj2052 wrote:

Sorry that is absolute rubbish! TomTom are to my knowledge THE only company who have offered continual updates to their older models, you can still update a Classic GO AND buy new maps for them.

I must take great exception to your comment about TomTom offering upgrades! Where is v 8.x for the series x10? I still haven't got a working TMC system on my 910, and the only way to get it working is to downgrade the OS and the maps. They've had long enough to solve this problem if they wanted to. I think TomTom are only interested in forcing people to part with more and more money. The fact that TT are currently probably the best on the market is a damming indictment on the rest of the market rather than praise for TT.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great exception? A little dramatic! I didn't claim that they had offered 'every' upgrade across 'every' platform. Yes the v8 upgrade has yet to materialise for the x10's and this is hugely disappointing but I that is not to say that it won't. I will however concede that the TMC issue has been a debacle long overdue for resolution, one we have rasied with them at all levels on many occasions.

However none of this changes the fact that TomTom are unusual in having released many updates for many of their models, many more so than other brands.

Getting back on topic if we may, I answered the OP's query as honestly as I could. As he is a TomTom user I believe he will be short changed by the move to Medion.

Any further debate on the issues some customers have with TomTom should be made in the TomTom forum.
redlion2008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that the description on the box says the Medion E3230 is a Windows CE device. So does this mean that one could load an alternative compatable nav software. The reason that I ask is that I am looking for a particular solution, I want a small neat self contained device but require the ability to use routing / wapoints to navigate, also being able to run other GPS related utilities would be a bonus. I have been looking at PDA's with built in GPS receivers but they tend to be larger and bulkier. I currently have a Garmin Nuvi 250 which is great but too limited in its functions. Any suggestions???
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one downside to that is the fact that the 2gb memory is intergrated and does not appear to have memory slot, also your comment about PDAs being bulky is far from my feelings, I have the Asus a696 c/w internal sirf3 gps,bluetooth and wifi plus 16gb card slot at 115 x 70 x 15mm compared to the Medion 97 x 84 x 18.7mm, hardly bulky, I also think its rugged with its stainless steel front.
redlion2008
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AJ, I'll check it out.
As a relative newbie to this technology do all bluetooth devices enable the user to hear voice directions and warnings via a bluetooth headset or is that a function of the nav software that is being used?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think its a function of the units, but not experienced on this and yet to venture on mine, I have been looking at Parrot units for this but at £60-£80 for the one i am looking at it will have to wait. perhaps someone with more experience could help.
korky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: medion gopal E3230 Reply with quote

After retiring my Garmin street pilot 3, which I have had for 5 years with no problems, I have just purchased the Medion from Aldi, as most of you know
you have 14 days in which to return it if you dont like it.
It does have a card slot which will take an SD OR MMC card for removable storage. I have been trying it out for a couple of days, must admit it is different from the Garmin, if for some reason you went past your turning the Garmin would say recalculating, the medion did not ! it tried for ages to get me to turn round, I would say it took it about 2 miles before it gave up asking me to do a u turn. and then picked up the new route. I had done this intensionally,apart from that I found it quite good.
At least it got me to my destination. Very Happy
PsychoJock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of debate from one simple question!! Cool!!
Being a poorly paid maulti-drop driver, I bought the Medion PNA210T when it was £80. After a while I bought the upgrade from Medion (£99 DVD) pricey but worth it and now use the Speedcam database from here. On the whole, Medion aren't a bad unit for a budget piece of kit, can't say about the TMC, I've not got it. If anyone buys this unit and wants help regarding which version of the camera database to download and how to install it, please feel free to PM and I'd be happy to help!

As to how it compares to the TomTom, again, not got one, couldn't say. I will say that the medions tend now and then to give a spurious "Turn Left" or Turn Right",you just have to check the display to make sure you go the right way!! Apart from that they're not a bad unit.

Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: