Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap release v1.2 System Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap release v1.2 System Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul1q2w3e4r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think I may have done this as well as I seem to be 'missing' some information mentioned in the help pages 2.3 talks about the Satsync layout window, I can't see/find 'Other Files' or 'Satmap Files.'....all I have is the regular Internal Files and SD Card files showing. ?

Same here. Updated the A10 and Satsync but I can't see/find 'Memory in Use', 'Other Files' or 'Satmap Files' when opening Satsync. Also, 2.2 On Screen Dialogue states: 'At the base of the SatSYNC window, a text description of the button functionality appears to help operation of the program'. Again, nothing like that showing on my Satsync window!

Could someone advise on this please?

P.S. I uninstalled the old Satsync before installing the new version.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
SatMap have now kindly responded to my query regarding the clock.

They advised that, as I thought, when the units were originally launched they used to keep the clock running when it was switched off. However this caused battery drain issues meaning people were putting new batteries in their unit the night before and going out the next day with decreased battery life. So they now believe that it is far safer to have a unit that updates the time upon satellite lock than a unit which has less battery life in it than expected.

I was just about to post to report how I no longer need to take the batteries out when not in use. This would explain it. Big tick as far as I am concerned, though I take the point about the option and the lack of explanation in the release notes.

Have to say though, that I have not encountered the time issue others have reported. I suspect that the time is acquired from the satellite as soon as the first yellow bar is displayed. I think that by the time everything has started up and the map card screen dismissed, and the time displayed, this has already occurred and the correct time shown. Either that or I have different options set to other users.

My limited knowledge of the GPS system is that time is needed to lookup the internal copy of the almanac and interpret the signals. If the internal almanac is out of date, then it has to wait for the next broadcast, every 12.5 mins. Which is why it can take a while to get afix sometimes on any system.
johntw669
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:

So those who have indicated their clock is always correct with v1.20 had better check again.

My unit does always show the correct time as I never use it without satellite lock. Are you trying to use yours down a mine?
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No! But I do keep it indoors rather than in the garden and it is not kept running 24/7.

If you turn yours off and back on again, does it still show the correct time? A device with a real time clock like a PC or Pocket PC or even most digital cameras and GPS's will show more or less the correct time because the clock is kept running in standby. The SatMap did do this but not with the present software release as it needs to establish satellite reception first.

Because it needs to establish sat reception first to set it's clock, it now takes it longer to establish its initial position fix.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine certainly does, and in any case, if it's relying on a satellite fix then surely that's what it's all about...I take it out on a walk...satellites are 'on'...clock is on if I need it (?)...get back home turn it off and that's it. I don't use it at home as a clock or timepiece...I have enough of those around the house.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what happens if reception is marginal and you can't get a fix? You are down a mine for instance!! Wink

If the clock is accurate on switch on there is a greater chance it will get a fix and not sit around for minutes on end pretending it is about to like it does now.

Supposing you have dropped or damaged your watch and now relying on the GPS for a time check. Just tough I guess with v1.20.

Most users will be unaware of this change and end up with an inaccurate time check, not knowing. That is what is dangerous. In fact you'll never really be certain if it is showing the right time or not.

My car SatNav, a £70 LG, manages to lock on within 30 seconds usually less than 15, and that is with it just sitting on the passenger seat or under the dash! The SatMap was never fast but now takes even longer and cannot cope with getting a lock on the passenger seat or under the dash! It may hold a fix once it has reception but getting started isn't its strongest point, made worse by switching off the real time clock. Realtime clocks in electronic devices are not usually regarded as being notorious for using up vast amounts of battery power while the device is switched off.

As I have reported previously, the device with a Li-Pol battery maintained enough charge for several weekend walks/rides without the need to be charged in between so at least the user could be given the choice to keep it running if that best served his needs. Now the SatMap dos not comply with its specification advertised on the SatMap site and elsewhere, and cannot be reverted to that.
johntw669
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked mine to see what happens.
From a cold start indoors the GPS status screen says "location last known" and gives the time that the last location was identified. This doesn't say "time now" so there can be no confusion there.
The GPS map page time box gives the correct time from when the first satellite is identified, long before there is a GPS lock and the icon in the top left hand corner goes green.
Even with no satellite lock the time on mine continues to update correctly.
I really don't see how this can be deemed to be dangerous.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
Well what happens if reception is marginal and you can't get a fix? You are down a mine for instance!! Wink

Why would I want to use my device 'down a mine' I ask....more importantly, where on earth in the UK would reception be marginal ? I've been to a good number of places, including forests etc., and it has yet to let me down.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Why would I want to use my device 'down a mine' I ask....

It was suggested I was earlier, if you check back several entries!

I take your points that for 99 out of 100 instances the clock issue may not be significant. But what about the one time that it is when someone sees the time on the map on switch on and believes it to be right, then perhaps get cut off by tides like those cockle pickers in Morecambe Bay or similar with deadly results.

The sales info states it has a real time clock which implies it will always give an accurate time check. It doesn't though.

Anyhow, so long as all users are aware of this all is well. Trouble is many will not do so due to misleading sales info.
johntw669
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-K wrote:
[.......switch on and believes it to be right, then perhaps get cut off by tides like those cockle pickers in Morecambe Bay or similar with deadly results.
The sales info states it has a real time clock which implies it will always give an accurate time check. It doesn't though.

Oh come on. If you were standing in the middle of Morecombe Bay and switched the unit on from a cold start the time would be correctly displayed, on the GPS map page, in about 20 seconds after the satellite screen displays. (I've tried it in my garden, I can't do Morecambe Bay as I live in Essex)
You're resorting to ridiculous statements now to try to prove your point.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would sooner risk being misled by the clock for a couple of minutes (at most), than in a remote place with only half the battery power I thought I had.

I use a PDA running Windows (WM5) and even with the thing turned off, the battery will only last a few days without charging. The internal memory is flash, so all that can be running is the clock.

I think we should give Satmap full credit for finding a pragmatic solution to to a problem originally inherited from Bill Gates.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First ride with v1.2 and after 6 hours it still hadn't frozen....not conclusive proof that its fixed the issue but not bad Very Happy

I didn't look at the clock once...it's a wonder I'm still alive!!
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my last words on this subject here:

From SatMap's technical specification:

Full GPS functionality (real time clock, logging waypoints, time etc)

From Webopedia.com (other encyclopaedia sites are available):

A clock that keeps track of the time even when the computer is turned off. Real-time clocks run on a special battery that is not connected to the normal power supply. In contrast, clocks that are not real-time do not function when the computer is off.

So does the SatMap meet its technical specification by actually having a working real time clock as it is advertised as having? If you agree that it doesn't then the device is not as specified. This is simply solved by making this a settable option. There are times when the battery life is more important, at other times the correct time is more important. Argue against that and your argument is purely for argument's sake!
Georgie_Clo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Probably my last words on this subject here:

Oh - Good !!

You quote ORIGINAL spec - virtually all software specs change as software develops. As stated elsewhere, SatMap have, in my view at least, taken a pragmatic view to sort a problem that many have highlighted. WELL DONE SatMap. I've not noticed the clock issue - and candidly wouldn't have worried if I had ! Don't NEED a real time clock when the thing is switched off - and when it's locked on and functional, I see no problem!

This device offers a mega-leap forward in navigational aid to us out-doors folk - AND SatMap are demonstrably improving it!

It IS a pity that a vocal few for whatever reasons, prefer to knock the product on this forum.....
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. Sparkling product. Great development.

It's amazing to see a high-tech start-up successfully taking on and beating the big guns. Satmap should have their praises sung from every roof-top. They have to secure market share before (inevitably) someone else does come up with a competitive product. Negative comments are hardly going to inspire prospective customers.

Criticisms should be constructive, not only in content but also in tone, in an effort to encourage the company to improve - a win/win scenario. Complaints should be referred to the retailer.

Some people love to shoot others down in an effort to somehow score points or (inappropriately) demonstrate a crumb of original (but largely irrelevant and argumentative) thought.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: