Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C550 and MSN-thingmy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C550 and MSN-thingmy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: C550 and MSN-thingmy? Reply with quote

I ran webupdater against my newly-acquired 550 the other day, as I'd noticed the main firmware has recently been updated (6.50 on 02/07), and wanted to check that the other things were up-to-date, too (ie GTM, bluetooth, GPS chipset, that sort of thing).

One of the things it downloaded and installed was something referring to MSN - didn't quite catch all of it. What's that all about, and does it work over here in the UK?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a US thingy-bob and you need an MSN receiver... See here It's an enhanced TMC receiver that can get you gas prices, weather reports, news, stocks, movie times etc....
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Its a US thingy-bob and you need an MSN receiver... See here It's an enhanced TMC receiver that can get you gas prices, weather reports, news, stocks, movie times etc....

I thought as much, all a bit curious, really. I think the C550 I've got, actually came from the US (just looking at the vendor details on my garmin).

What puzzles me, though, is that at least where the GTMs are concerned, webupdater seems to detect and grab any firmware updates when they are plugged in and you run webupdater (least I've never tried to get a GTM firmware update without it being plugged in - but maybe it doesn't need to be, maybe the xml file tells webupdater this...).

It definitely grabbed and installed some MSN based firmware update, though, wish there was some log I could go and check what it did.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've never tried to get a GTM firmware update without it being plugged in - but maybe it doesn't need to be, maybe the xml file tells webupdater this...).

As my TMC is part of the car power lead i have installed the TMC update without the TMC being plugged in on both occassions an update has been offered. The next time I plug the TMC it takes a minute to complete the update.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
I've never tried to get a GTM firmware update without it being plugged in - but maybe it doesn't need to be, maybe the xml file tells webupdater this...).

As my TMC is part of the car power lead i have installed the TMC update without the TMC being plugged in on both occassions an update has been offered. The next time I plug the TMC it takes a minute to complete the update.

My TMC is the same (I'm guessing GTM-21?) - I have always run webupdater with it connected, but I'm coming around to the view that webupdater perhaps uses some file on the unit itself to get updates. It doesn't actually need ciggy power to run, though - your main unit could drive the GTM without the ciggy adaptor being plugged in. I often tested it at home, all connected up, and suckered to an upstairs window. Or when walking to the car, I'd often boot up my C510T with the GTM attached so it could get TMC info before calculating a route (I often found that whilst I'd get no / poor / little TMC reception inside the car, but it would get the signal whilst the TMC aerial was dangling in the wind, so to speak).

In diag mode, both my C510 and my C550 new the GTM details (although they both think it's a GTM-20 rather than GTM-21) when it wasn't connected. I'm sure I've read comments by Phil Hornby, here, about the xml file, and details it holds.

That would probably explain why my C550 did grab an MSN device firmware update, if a config file had details of one?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTM-21 indeed...

Quote:
your main unit could drive the GTM without the ciggy adaptor being plugged in.

Sadly not on the 7xx series. I wish it could because I've wanted to sit here comparing the news / online Traffic reports to the TMC reports.... However the TMC does need ciggy power to run and the TMC doesn't plug into the Nuvi directly but uses a combined plug with the Power Lead which goes into the side of the bracket and connectors under the unit connect to the bracket.... The status indicator is on the ciggy plug....

Whilst I'm typing this I'm testing what i say and it's just flashed up "Serial Device Needs External Power"
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a picture of the 7x bracket - http://www.gpslodge.com/pictures/Nuvi760Mount.jpg

The Nuvi connects to the bracket by the row of brass pins you can see pointing up at the front of the mount. The TMC / Power Lead plugs in at the right hand side as shown...
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read about the msn network thingy the other night. aparently it was a bi-product of a watch they invented that never kicked off...!!

linky - half way down, or search for 'SPOT watches and MSN Direct'

MaFt
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at one of the info pages on the hidden / easter-egg menus (holding down the speedo on the trip computer page), and it definitely has a page on / for MSN Direct (much like the one for the GTM / TMC adaptor).

So my next question is, for any C5xx owners, is this something that normally shows up?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: