Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The PocketGPSWorld.com Suggestion Box
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The PocketGPSWorld.com Suggestion Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestion from a newb Reply with quote

Roydaboy wrote:
Hi all, have been lurking on this site for a v long time, it's great site, absolute gold mine of info. I thought it's about time I contributed a thought, for what it's worth.

As your asking for suggestions, how about a "roadworks" POI file ?
With all those pairs of eyeballs out there everyday, it may be possible to accumulate a lot of data.

Dunno if this is actually viable, I'm guessing that there may be a certain amount of lag between members sending in locations and the data being made available as a download. The lag being caused by someone having to compile all the locations and weed out duplicates etc etc, before uploading it to the website. This may mean it would only work for major roadworks and contraflows etc. Also it may not be financially viable for the same reason

If it was do-able you could then have a warning at whatever distance you choose before hitting roadworks.

Just a thought.

Thanks Roydaboy.

mikealder and oldboy have been working on this for 2 weeks now and we'll hopefully have this as an add-on to the speed camera database downloads soon.

It will be useful when planning a route.

mikealder wrote:
you can list the incidents by planning a route then asking the device to find POI on Route, you will get a list of any problems.

Initially, we'll most likely 'soft' launch it for evaluation purposes and see what feedback we get from Members. We'll be working from a base of official data and will probably use feedback from members to correct any errors.

DennisN raises some very valid points about the accuracy of official data, so we'll all have to wait with baited breath to judge its accuracy Smile
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers RobBrady - If only Garmin were as responsive as PGPSW! Laughing Stop it!
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MaFt, regarding my previous post RE: the display of the drop down menu on my setup .

I remembered that I have raised the display resolution to 120dpi. Testing confirms that this is causing the issue, and has nothing to do with the Firefox browser settings mentioned earlier.

I guess what you stated would probably resolve the issue, but I thought I should amend the details.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
even something as simpl as a nice big icon somewhere near the top of the page might get it noticed more than the current two line entry right at the very bottom of the sidebar. I realise this will make more work for Richard if more submissions are received, but the POI database is a product that could be used to attract people to the site, rather than being one of its lesser features.

Thanks Daggers, we can't place it near the top of the page due to space issues, but we have placed it on all 200,000+ site pages on the bottom right.

We're also running a campaign for companies to submit their POIs.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
For me, the web site is pretty daunting to look at. There are so many different Forums to cater for all the different manufacturers etc. It can be quite confusing, never mind going to the download and submission pages.
There is a lot of scrolling up and down to view all the different options available.

Thanks 253. I've added a shortcut 'FORUMS BY BRAND' to the left hand navigation of all pages. This will mean one less click to the forum index page for the majority of forums and only a short scroll through the list of manufacturer names.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
I think you need to open up the news section a bit.

Continuing on from improving the navigation to the news and reviews we are now encouraging budding journalists to help us out Guest Writer Community Call: Hold the Front Page!

We have also created an Industry Press Release section for those who may be interested.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've added a shortcut 'FORUMS BY BRAND'

I like this Rob. Very Happy
AlexPresland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just posted http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=425817#425817.
I think that the website should have a page describing the various POI formats and their limitations & capabilities.
What do you think?
JassMan23
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Wiki Reply with quote

Many people suggest looking on various wikis for info but as yet I have not seen any suggestions that PGPSW has a wiki of its own. I can't be the only one to be frustrated by reading through tons of misinformation posted in forums before I eventually find the gem I am looking for.

What I envisge is a wiki where all the different bits of hardware and software are listed in a common format so that information doesn't need to unnecessarily repeated.

eg. For a typical piece of hardware

Device name
a short description
Contents
an index of all the info on this wikipage ie. the headings below
Description
A more detailed desription of features including links to reviews if available
Operating system
A description of which OS supplied and how much has been deleted (ie needs to be added back in to make it a useful device again). Also shows which version of MFC etc.
Additional software supplied
Details of additiopnal software supplied on device such as MP3, Pictureviewers etc. wich lnks to appropriate other wikis. Also include downloadable software from OEM
Additional software available
Addon software from other manufacturers which KNOWN to run
See Also
Links to pages with similar devices
How do I
basically a sort of FAQ section on common problems (maybe links out to other pages)
References
refernces to authors/manufacturers sites with relevant info
[External Links]
any other appropriate links

It would be nice to have an info box top right of the page with "at a glance" information
c.f. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocelot
ie.
ShortName
A photo of the device
ProductLifeStatus: Pre-release/Current/Obsolete etc.
Detail
Type: Hardware/Software/Addon etc
Manufacturer: OEM/Author etc
Family: Series name (useful for searching)
Product: product name
Release date: Earlist known example
Release Version: earliest release version
Current Version: obvious and helps people know if they need upgrade
Variations: eg EU/US/world

I don't know if it would be possible to hide some of the information to members only but that would be ideal as it would help build up membership. The hidden info would include stuff like howto add extra apps to locked devices, links to known virus free apps known to run on the device, info about which additional DLLs etc you need to make the extra stuff run. Whether this is possible probably depends on the chosen engine.

In fact, I can forsee a day where a wikimight have more viewers than the forums. I know each has its place but for me a wiki makes it much easier to find what you want to know. Perhaps the forums would be the place to discuss what should be on the wiki and all the stuff of a temporary nature like where to go to have a rave.

Layout wise, I think the wiki would sit in the middle of the main page in the same place as the forums.

There is a good comparison of all the different wiki engines available at:
http://www.wikimatrix.org/

My personal view is that GroupWikiBase at http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/GroupWikiBase would be a good starting point - it has a couple of minor bugs but I bet most other software does as well. It is based on the WikiMedia software used on WikiPedia so it would give users a familiar look and feel. It can also be skinned so that it can blend in with the rest of PGPSW. The best point is, its free!

David
(PNA400 + 2110max)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea and we're all for it, just need to see how much work is involved in getting it started.
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David, I like it!

Yes, the problem is having the man hours to get it started.

Once it's up and running though, the glory of it is that it's mostly self manageable (I think!). We're certainly not saying no, I personally would love to see this idea implemented, it might take a long time to work it's way to the top of our long to-do list though Sad

Or maybe I'm being too pessimistic, does anyone have any ideas as to how long this sort of thing takes to set up and what type of maintenance it requires?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's only a click away ( and another one to get back where you were) and I have set up to be notified about new database releases, but how about a 'at a glance' aide memoire of the issue date in the database link link at the top of the left hand sidebar Very Happy so the link reads something like 'Speed Camera Database 12 Sep' or the title above the picture reads 'Speed Cameras 12 Sep' Question Obviously yet another job for MaFt for his database update Sad
Iggy82
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Member Login.... Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I didn't have time to read through 9 pages of feedback!

I only use the site every time a new update comes out for the database but every time I visit the site I find it takes ages to find the login page so that I can actually access the download page.

Could you please make it a lot more user friendly / pocketgpsworld for dummies!

Also, I find the different descriptions for types of download confusing, e.g. consolidated by type, I know that there is a description to help you work it out but I still don't find that very clear, please try to dumb down the site a little!

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just follow the Speed Cameras link in the top menu bar, simple as that?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or the big yellow square (edited: button colour is now blue), with the globe and speed camera symbol on it at the top of every page?

Next time you get to the log in page you could make a bookmark to get you back to that page every time.

As for the database types...

Quote:
Consolidated by type: Contains one file for each type of speed camera.

Each camera type (GATSO, RedLight, Mobile etc) has an individual file. The icons shown on screen will tell you the camera type.

Quote:
Single File: Contains all the speed cameras in a single file irrespective of type.

All the data in one file regardless of speed limit or camera type. The icon is just a generic speed camera icon.

Quote:
Speed Zoned: Contains the speed cameras in individual files for each speed limit and each camera type

Each file contains all the cameras with the same speed limit setting (i.e. 30 mph, 40 mph etc) The icon will show you the speed limit of the camera.

If you tell us what system you are using we can tell you which might be the best to use, or download them all and try them one at a time....

ETA: Although a few months late. Just spotted i had Speed Zoned and Single File Descriptions the wrong way round. Edit to correct.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: