Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacing 920T with 930T - speed cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing 920T with 930T - speed cameras

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Replacing 920T with 930T - speed cameras Reply with quote

Sorry, I guess this must have been asked but I couldn't find it. Probably replacing my 920T with a 930T. Having gone through the whole exercise of adding the computer voice to each of the speed camera types and speeds, can I just copy over a file from my 920 backup to the 930 or do I have to do it all again?

TIA

norm
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try it....
Copy the MapSettings.cfg file from the "Western Europe" map folder of the 920 to the same folder on the 930.

This always used to work, until people started doing it from machines without text to speech to ones that did, and the missing "extras" in the file caused problems. But as the 920 and 930 are virtually identical it will probably work fine..

Obviously, back everything up fully first, just in case.
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. I didn't know whether the MapSettings.cfg file might contain other things that might be incompatible. And Oh yes, I know the golden rule - back up using Windows Explorer BEFORE I start playing and maybe even before I drink my cup of tea!

norm
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question though, why change a 920 for a 930 if you install the latest Navcore 8 software and a version 8 map you will have the same functionality as a 930, the only difference being the black screen surround. This is going to be a significant outlay for a bit of black chrome! - Mike
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the *30 maps work ok on the *20 devices then Mike ?
If you go to the TomTom site they say version 8 maps unavailable for *20 devices at the mo !!

Money making ??

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a version 8 map from the TomTom map shop if you enter your device as an x30. It gets added to your account and you can then download and install it to your x20 device in Home, and it works.

However, if you have a problem you'll be unlikely to get any help from TomTom, and it may well invalidate the device's guarantee.
Samsung Galaxy S21
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickie64 wrote:
Do the *30 maps work ok on the *20 devices then Mike ?
If you go to the TomTom site they say version 8 maps unavailable for *20 devices at the mo !!

Money making ??

I do not think it will be long before they are available for the X20 if you think about it there is a map sale on at the moment which ends in 30th July !!!Tomtom would guess x20 owners are not going to update there maps when these new maps with new features are waiting in the wings .

My personal opinion is to wait for the new map release and benefit from the the support Tomtom will provide ( yes I did say support Tomtom will provide Laughing )
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab a bargain as quite a few people are cashing on the map sale, look at Anita's signature for a clue Laughing If you don't want full Europe maps just grab the UK&ROI map which costs even less, whether newer maps will be released when they offer the full x20 support is unknown.

But the very latest map is ahead of the road re-construction project as far as the A1 is concerned, the map is correct for the layout once they lay the tarmac! - Mike
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
One question though, why change a 920 for a 930

I'm giving the 920 to a family member.

Unfortunately, copying the MapSettings.cfg file hasn't worked. Could it be because the 920 has v7 maps but the 930 has v8? I just get beeps and when I go to the Warn of POIs screens, they just show the original deafult settings. So it looks like I'm going to have to input them all again unless anyone else has another idea?
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well I had a change of plan. I have returned the 930 because my family member said he preferred another satnav. After some thinking, I decided to buy the v8 maps for my 920 at the current discounted price which is very easy on the TomTom website just by telling it you have a 930. The maps installed easily and, so far, appear to be working well and no problem with the speed camera warnings. That has raised another question for me but I will put that in a new post.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: