Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtomboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106 Reply with quote

Hi, New user so please be patient with me Question

can anyone help me please? Trying to install new boot loader for tomtom 720, Boot version reads 5.4106 and trying to install latest one ver. 5.5010.
Have contacted tomtom customer support this morning, NO JOY, there answer was that this device was not made for version 5.5010. Reading on this forum other people have it, so any ideas would be helpfull.

Razz
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106 Reply with quote

tomtomboy wrote:
Hi, New user so please be patient with me Question

can anyone help me please? Trying to install new boot loader for tomtom 720, Boot version reads 5.4106 and trying to install latest one ver. 5.5010.
Have contacted tomtom customer support this morning, NO JOY, there answer was that this device was not made for version 5.5010. Reading on this forum other people have it, so any ideas would be helpfull.

Razz

And what would the benefit of upgrading the boot loader be?
tomtomboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106 Reply with quote

Hi, using the updated boot loader always you to use larger SD Cards, that is what i have been told. Tomtom customer help refused to send the file required as they stated that thet 5.4106 is for the 720 dvice only, reading on this forum a lot of people have the boot version i require, so can someone please help me Rolling Eyes
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boot Loader is Device Specific. 5.5010 is for x20 and x30 Units. This allows for certain features that earlier TTs didn't have/need.

Which Device are you trying to use it on?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and where did you hear that it enabled larger cards to be used?
Are you actually trying to get SDHC capability on a pre- x20 series model?
tomtomboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106 Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the feedback so far Very Happy The device i have is the tomtom 720 working the new 8.010 navcore 8, also a bit naughty and purchased the version 8.05 western map. Ooops. As said before had contacted tomtom about this boot loader issue, waste of time speaking to them. Did find one thing out that the tomtom x20 series was used as the beta for the latest x30 series, so maps of version 8.05 do work on the x20's but not supported if they go pear shaped, just make a back up and have no problem's. Laughing

Dave
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 720 with Navcore 8 running on it just shove the SDHC card in and away you go, the device will not permit writting to the card if it is larger than 4GB, but for music, pictures and video (if you use this) it works fine with an 8 or 16GB card - don't put maps on the cards larger than 4GB though as it cannot handle that - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106 Reply with quote

tomtomboy wrote:
Hi thanks for the feedback so far Very Happy The device i have is the tomtom 720 working the new 8.010 navcore 8,

How big do you want to go, people are already using 8 and 18GB cards in x20 models....
The only restriction is the TT cannot WRITE to locations higher than 4GB, so you need to load the card up using a card reader, but I thought that was the same on the x30 models too. You've heard different somewhere?

Quote:
Did find one thing out that the tomtom x20 series was used as the beta for the latest x30 series,

More than that, the hardware is identical, same FCC number and everything.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106 Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
The only restriction is the TT cannot WRITE to locations higher than 4GB, so you need to load the card up using a card reader, but I thought that was the same on the x30 models too. You've heard different somewhere?

The x30 shares the same problem as the x20 in addressing cards over 4GB, they work great for read only operation once pre-loaded with music or other media files that don't require write access by the device. Put a map on a card over 4GB and forget it when you fill the card up past the 4GB threshold - it simply doesn't work for the reasons you quoted above - Mike
tomtomboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106 Reply with quote

Morning Folks Laughing Thanks for the advice that all have given me regards the problem of over larger support for the SD Cards, i use a 4gb sandisk Ultra, Tempted to install the original map back on it just in case it goes wrong, one point i have noticed using Navcore 8 and v.05 western map,it seems to take longer to boot up Crying or Very sad also when the battery is going flat you get a little battery indicator on left side by the compass something new there, still looking for that boot loader update can anyone send me the required file.

Have a good weekend all Razz

Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106 Reply with quote

tomtomboy wrote:
still looking for that boot loader update can anyone send me the required file.

Did you read any of the above? You don't need a bootloader update to achieve support for larger cards Confused

Last edited by Darren on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
tomtomboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106 Reply with quote

Morning Darren,

Thanks for the information, just one thing puzzles me as my tomtom have version 5.4106 on it and other have the current one, may be its because i purchased the earlier model when they first came out. Thanks for the information anyway, look forward to more threads getting into this now Laughing

Dave
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106 Reply with quote

tomtomboy wrote:
. . . just one thing puzzles me as my tomtom have version 5.4106 on it and other have the current one,

Who has the "current one" that you say "a lot of people have"? I don't remember seeing that much information from a lot of people. Confused

I have a 720 with App 8.010 and v805 UK maps, and boot 5.4106.
Samsung Galaxy S21
tomtomboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Boot Loader GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106 Reply with quote

Evening Anita,

Have looked on a lot of forums and people have said the newer boot version is better for the 720, mine works fine but just wanted to know what the difrence was of the two. How you finding your version 8.05 map come across any problems yet?

Dave
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V805 UK maps seem just fine to me, Dave, no problems at all.

I don't think there's much difference between these maps and v720, just the new ALG and Reality View.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: