Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW: Application Update now for x30: v8.010
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW: Application Update now for x30: v8.010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
Apologies, I had not seen the note that this thread was for x30's. Can you move my post 5 on page 2 above to the correct one?

Sorry, Ric, the software doesn't allow me to pick out individual posts and merge them into another thread. I could take a sledgehammer to this small nut, but it wouldn't be a satisfactory result (Copy, Delete, Paste out of date/time sequence, bad idea!). Don't worry about it. Hopefully others will see my request above and stick with the x30s here.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This board software is definitely getting long in the tooth now. Lots of others I know have updated to newer versions without loosing anything, so why not give here?

As a stopgap measure Dennis, are you able to edit the topic titles to make it more clear which is for what models?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr, I haven't seen anywhere near the reroute delay you mention. There may be a 2 or 3 seconds difference at the most, and I wouldn't even have noticed that if not for my 760 riding alongside. It certainly isn't going to cause me to miss a turn unless the next one is 100 ft in front of me. I can't even guarantee the issue exists at all. Today I saw a difference, but on a different stretch of highway tommorrow, it may not happen. I think it will take quite a few days to confirm there is any major issue. So far for me, not major.

Last edited by gatorguy6996 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I dunno Andy - this one says "for x30" and the other says "for older devices" - I can't think how to amend that in either of them. Confused

Maybe the answer is to stick an edit in the first post of each thread saying which it covers and to get out to the other one (link) if applicable? But I'm reluctant to do that with other people's posts - not like the usual "behave yourselves" sort of moderating.

I don't have much experience with board softwares - I steer clear of "the other" site because I can't get my head round how it works and I'm not a member of anywhere else. Y'know, for old people, we get to succeed with one and daren't look at anything else!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
This board software is definitely getting long in the tooth now. Lots of others I know have updated to newer versions without loosing anything, so why not give here?

Because our site is very heavily based upon php, not just in the forum area but the site as a whole.

Our content management, news etc is all php based, phpNUKE in the case of the news and phpBB in the case of the forums. Whilst there are other board software packages (phpBB is still the most popular), there are none that have suitable content management solutions and any that do would require a complete re-write of the web-site. An impossible task.

phpBB has many plug-ins available but again ours has been heavily customised and so adding new features is not as easy. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and had we known 6+ years ago how big this endeavour would have become we may well have chosen differently!

I have edited the first post here and my opening post in the Navcore 8 upgrade thread to explain what each thread is for although I think it was pretty clear already!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadamehr wrote
Quote:
TomTom, after missing the turn, and the next direction box etc turning empty, sat there for SEVEN SECONDS, before deciding to even bother recalculating a route (the actual process of which is then near instantaneous).

I've just been out and tried it. Every time I missed a turn, I counted 7 seconds until it started replanning. Much the same a Shadamehr but it is almost identical to what it did on version 7.221. So no better but no worse either.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate - pleased it's not ONLY me... Though to be fair, if it turned out it was only random users, that would cause me no distress, in that this is exactly the same as the "The voice you have selected is not available" bug that is a REAL as our lass's nagging is, but that too doesn't effect EVERYONE.

As it happens, a number of things have caused me to revert back to 8.002, for good reason. Much as I persisted with 7.221 on my old 720 as I found that much better. In so doing, I have come to realise a couple of things though...

Even 8.002 is slow before it decides ot re-route - but I compared this to my prior 7.221 x20, and yet you find that this is slow. Strange, but hey that the joys of life. Also, the power on time - others berated me for how FAST the new 8.010 made their x20 devices.

Aha, I think that's the key.

I don't have an x20 - mine is an x30. And it seems this is pretty slow to turn on regardless. So all I experienced were as REAL as our lass's nagging, rest assured.

But clearly, not necessarily happening to EVERYONE, just like other knwon bugs. Thanks for confirming though.

I have gone back to 8.002 specifically because of the off-centered shadowing on the 3D car cursor bug with 8.010 (sad or what), the U-Turns now allowed routing algorithm change it brings, and also because of the slow re-routing.

I find 8.002 a lot more stable too, in that with 8.010 my device would often hang at shut DOWN sometimes, or only half switch on then reboot again, when being powered on. So for the last few days I have happily been back on 8.002, despite not having time to fix my signature.

Rest assured, for x20 users, 8.010 is the ONLY option to bring them NavCore 8 for now, and for existing x30 users, using RDS-TMC, then 8.010 is clearly relevant for them too, as it supposedly fixes the traffic delay time bug.

As an existing x30 owner with WIRELESS Traffic however, 8.002 is the best option for me for now, that's all I am saying folks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Rest assured, for x20 users, 8.010 is the ONLY option to bring them NavCore 8 for now, and for existing x30 users, using RDS-TMC, then 8.010 is clearly relevant for them too, as it supposedly fixes the traffic delay time bug.

Rest assured it does fix this long standing issue for the x20, x30, One Third Edition and One XL although this was a UK specific issue as far as I can tell - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

As I am sure you were already aware, it was not my intention to DOUBT this, but rather given its huge import for those affected, to make sure I remembered to mention it, but could only use 'supposedly' as I use Wireless Traffic myself, so don't have first hand experience to confirm it. Pleased you did though Laughing

HOWEVER, all:

Oh I forgot, one other reason, a big one, for me to go back to 8.002...

Handsfree Calling - on 8.010 around 80% of my uses of my device, that is, switching my device on and using it, Handsfree Calling does not work properly. The problem is no audio outputted at all. The TT sees the phone, the phone see the TT. Use TT to make or answer a call, and the phone dials, or answers, accordingly. There is just NO actual SOUND coming from the TT.

Reboot the TT, and the problem is normally fixed - even to the point that if you were finishing the call off on the handset by pressing the relevant button on the phone to transfer, once you realise TT is not making any audio, then as the TT reboots, the TT automatically picks up the phone and audio in the middle of the call.

Like I say, under 8.010 it did this around 80% or more of the time for me. Under 8.002, touch wood, things seem ok.

Hope this BIG one is worth mentioning. And also, remember, I have an x30 device. It is becoming all too apparent that there are large differences as to what bugs happen, when using 8.010 on a x20, or an x30 unit instead.
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too could not hear anything when I tried using the hands-free.
I was using TT Traffic through my Nokia E65 on Three at the same time. This continued to work.

At some stage in my journey I realised that I was not hearing any instructions at all (although the details on screen were fine).

I re-started my 730 and it is working fine again.
It could have been the attempted hands-free call that caused all sound to go, but I have not had a chance to test it yet.
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried hands-free (sitting in a quiet room so I could work out what was going on) and it caused the phone (Nokia E65) to go completely haywire.
Did a complete reset (and removed and re-installed Truphone - a VOIP application), and now hands-free is working fine, without having to revert back on my 730.
Will try hands-free for real on the way home tonight. Fingers crossed
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ItsMikeE wrote:
I too could not hear anything when I tried using the hands-free.
I was using TT Traffic through my Nokia E65 on Three at the same time. This continued to work.

At some stage in my journey I realised that I was not hearing any instructions at all (although the details on screen were fine).

I re-started my 730 and it is working fine again.
It could have been the attempted hands-free call that caused all sound to go, but I have not had a chance to test it yet.

Yes - I FORGOT TO MENTION mate, (well reminded) that ANOTHER downside to this "No Audio on Handsfree Calls" bug, is that once this happens, the TomTom itself ALSO then has no audio Output, even for Navigation Instructions.. It is indeed this fail of audio on calls, that then leaves NO Audio at all from the TT, even for directions. Yes, that's the cause mate.

A re-power does not usually fix it, but a RESET normally does - to the extent that as I say, with 8.010, the likelihood is, the NEXT call will cause the same issue, around 80% or more of the time for me.

With 8.002, the problem is a lot less common, if at all.

So one of the very reasons I CANNOT use 8.010 and have ot use 8.002

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: