Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW: Application Update now for x30: v8.010
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW: Application Update now for x30: v8.010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISSUE ALERT:

Early days, and I'd love to hear other people's experiences...

But coming home tonight, 3 miles from work, I deliberately missed a turn TomTom advises, like I always do, as I know my route is better, locally.

And the TomTom took AGES to recalculate a new route. By this I don't mean to do the calculation - I just mean before it even decided to start.

So just to test, I started playing, "Miss The Turning".

And on every single occasion, TomTom, after missing the turn, and the next direction box etc turning empty, sat there for SEVEN SECONDS, before deciding to even bother recalculating a route (the actual process of which is then near instantaneous).

I tested this in total FOUR more times driving home, and on EVERY occasion, it sits there for SEVEN seconds for me, before deciding to recalculate.

I have already noticed Startup time is more sluggish (that is, after entering my PIN, there is a noticeable delay now, before the Driving Screen View is drawn).

So I hope this is not another issue. As I couldn't persevere with a device that WAITS seven seconds on any missed turn, before even deciding it wants to recalculate the route.

So please tell me it's just been a one-off day for me folks?

Happy to hear your experiences.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn.

Despite various reboots, switch offs, and resets tonight, dropping partner off at work, I find it's still doing this.

Taking five seconds or so (I counted slower and more steady this time, to be sure and fair), before it even DECIDES to start recalculating route.

Mmm.
jonfieldsend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: 8.010 on 520 Reply with quote

I just logged on via home and was told that there was an update available in the shape of 8.010. As an update is normally a recipe for disaster I backed up my 520. Needless to say the update failed to install. I then went to restore to my previous back up. That then failed an now when I turn on my TomTom520 all I get is the message "No maps found!". Tomtom is heading to be the worst PDA provider possible.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 8.010 on 520 Reply with quote

jonfieldsend wrote:
I just logged on via home and was told that there was an update available in the shape of 8.010. As an update is normally a recipe for disaster I backed up my 520. Needless to say the update failed to install. I then went to restore to my previous back up. That then failed an now when I turn on my TomTom520 all I get is the message "No maps found!". Tomtom is heading to be the worst PDA provider possible.

Every piece of advice, every post it is mentioned in, and the site faq's here warn you mate - by BACKUP, we mean using a PC, File Manager/Windows Explorer, and NOT TomTom Home.

Using TomTom Home for backups, does NOT backup everything you need.

Alas, it's a bit late to be telling you this now.

But if you use Windows Explorer, to copy EVERYTHING on your device to a folder on your PC before doing any updates etc, then if all else fails, you can wipe it, and put EVERYTHING back on, just the way it was.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed that the startup on my 520 with 8.010 is now three - four times faster than 7.481

One second of button press gives my personal splash screen and then 3 seconds to get the connection to Home. When using off the dock, One second of button press gives my personal splash screen and then 6 seconds to get the Navigate To screen and a connection via Bluetooth to the Nokia N73.

I'm impressed!
Astronut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated my TomTom ONE XL with the new app.

They've replaced the customisable compass in the preferences with some custom car cursors - why!?!!!
The compass that now appears on the nav screen is really tiny and points north - I preferred to have the compass customised showing my direction with north at the top.

They've also changed the POI icons.

An annoying bug I've found is I can no longer operate my device from TomTom Home - it says I need to download a file - probably some ActiveX
file (which I already had).
I go ahead and download the file and then it comes up some message saying 'failed to connect' or something.

I have a backup from when I first bought it (before using it for the first time). If I revert to this backup will I also lose my free map update?
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadamehr wrote
Quote:
Oh, other than every time you use the device in TomTom Home, the next time you use it for real, it tells you the Computer Voice is not recognised, and forces you to first "re-choose" your same old voice file.

My 720 with v7.221 doesn't do that. But if I have both Tim selected for the nav instructions and computer Voice Kate for the warnings, it sometimes reverts to Kate for everything and I have to go through the selection process again.

And
Quote:
And the TomTom took AGES to recalculate a new route. By this I don't mean to do the calculation - I just mean before it even decided to start.

Mine does the same with v7.221. It was the one thing I noticed that was worse that navigator 6 on my old iPAQ.

HOME isn't offering me version 8, but I another poster has said that he had to update to v 7.481 first, then v 8.10 was offered so maybe version 8 relies on some of 7.481s files.
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also lost my compass and would really like it back! is there a fix available or a script to replace it?
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtj70 wrote:
After the upgrade the following were true:
- Could not connect to Plus Services via mobile GPRS connection

After updating my 730 last night I could not connect to the TT Traffic via my Three 3G mobile.
This morning I can connect.
Have also downloaded QuickGPS info via mobile which has always hung before.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

batties wrote:
I have also lost my compass and would really like it back! is there a fix available or a script to replace it?

I believe the only way to get the compass back is to revert to an earlier application via a backup.

I've raised a question with TomTom, and hope everyone who feels the same will do so too. If enough people complain they may reinstate it in a future update.
Samsung Galaxy S21
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried again this morning and now have Traffic via GPRS working.... hmmm.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I ask everybody to PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS THREAD RELATES TO x30 DEVICES ONLY

There is another thread HERE for previous devices - Please post there if you device is not 530, 730 or 930, then we won't get confusion and duplication.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, I had not seen the note that this thread was for x30's. Can you move my post 5 on page 2 above to the correct one?
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, this is getting worse for me...

I properly timed and tested the re-routing delay today, using a stopwatch, not just counting in my head.

And it took 5.92 seconds the first one, and 5.36 seconds the next.

This might not seem much, but is a highly noticeable delay compared to before 8.010 for me, and very infuriating.

Indeed, in one test last night, it took so long to re-calculate, that by the time it did, I had already passed the new suggested turn off.

For clarity too, these timings are based on from the moment the screen next direction box blanks (i.e. it realises you have gone off suggested route), to when it then gives you a new route option.

So even longer in total, if you add in the time it pauses to even realise you have gone off route - but that element is constant to all versions, so not added to by the new update.

Also however, I have found that since the new update, my Handsfree Calling doesn't work very much.

That is all appears well, but when my phone rings, or I ring out to someone, nothing happens on the TT, even though the call is connected, and you can't even pick up the handset once you realise, as the audio IS being routed to the TomTom, it's just that the TomTom is not playing the audio.

Resetting TomTom fixes this.

But it seems to be doing this every time.

This is why I WISH TomTom would issue a proper changelog for each release.

As I am sorely minded to revert back to 8.002 in the same way I always found 7.221 more reliable for me than 7.482 on the x20 series, but worry that there may be a major unseen reason why TT brought out this changelog.

At least knowing the fixes, I could make an informed decision whether to revert back or not.

For now, I think I might do, as I see NOTHING at all that 8.010 adds or introduces or fixes, over 8.002, being an x30 user, but I do see three bugs or issues of varying degrees of severity, and one design change that I do not like, with the new version.

I guess I've answered my own question there then, so I am off to revert back for now - but post this so others may read, and make an informed decision of their own if they wish, until TT tell us what 8.010 brings where existing x30 users are concerned.

Cheers all.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or I will when I have more time, as my attempt now failed, and left me NO device, so I am having to re-install 8.010 via TT Home.

Oh well, later.

TTFN all.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: