Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed cameras Northern Ireland
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed cameras Northern Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brendi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Speed cameras Northern Ireland Reply with quote

I have just bought a gamin Nuvi 350t so far quite pleased, but it does not seem to react to speed cameras. I have contacted Garmin they said the unit I have has their camera database (Cyclops ?) which only reacts when you would be over 5mph and there is a speed camera within 5miles. I also have a TALEX gps speed camera system which reacts immediately there is a speed camera sign. First question,

1 Does the Pocket GPSWORLD camera data base cover Northern Ireland.
2 Does it work similar to the Cyclops data base.
3 If I subsribe to Pocket GPSWORLD do I have to remove Gamins database before I download Pocket GPSWORLD camera database

Regards

Brendi
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to an email from cyclops, garmins database only alerts when you are within 5 mph of the set speed. however there is no mention of this in any documentation.

ok, to answer your questions:

1) yes - under the uk download. republic (with their crazy metric speed system) is covered under europe - just for info if you ever cross the border!
2) essentially yes. you get alerts for cameras approaching as well as icons on the map etc
3) you can run both side by side of you wanted or you can simply turn off the cyclops database alerts in the settings under proximity alerts. you dont need to physicaly remove the data.

hope that helps

MaFt

ps - if you take a look on the submisison map and zoom in to the top 5(?) zoom levels you can see the icons for cameras in the database.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
(with their crazy metric speed system)

"crazy" - compared to what exactly, MaFt?

1 mile
= 1,760 yards
= 5,280 feet
= 63,360 inches

1 kilometre
= 1,000 metres
= 1,000,000 mm

Sal
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it has been a crazy system where newer signs were given in km and older signs in miles.

No wonder, the standard Irish joke is "I wouldn't start from here if I were you!" Laughing
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Well, it has been a crazy system where newer signs were given in km and older signs in miles.

Agreed. The sooner they are all in km the better.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy compared to our perfect imperial system! BRING BACK THE EMPIRE!!!

now i digress, sorry...

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that going strictly by the rules, having ANYTHING that warns of speed cameras is illegal in Eire. Previous posts have said the Garda don't really care though!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS we seem to be going off topic Rolling Eyes extolling the virtues of the stupid continental measurements that have been accepted by most of the rest of the world (Tone's mates the yanks being one notable exception), posting road distance or information signs in metric in the UK appears to be illegal.
And so it should be. http://www.bwmaonline.com/Join%20-%20Signage.htm Very Happy
If you want to go metric, go to NI or the continent, but leave the good old British measurments alone. Bring back the furlong, bushell and groat, not to mention the chain and link, thats what I say. Very Happy
But I am having difficulty in working out what this has got to do with speed cams in NI.
This post is written with toungue in cheek. Errors and omissions excepted. Is not meant to offend anyone. I really apologise in advance if it upsets anyone. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:

But I am having difficulty in working out what this has got to do with speed cams in NI.

Wink Wink
MaFt was quite right to raise the subject, pointing out that NI was included in the UK database but the IR is in the continental database because they use the metric system.
The complication for GPS units of having two different distance systems is just one more example of the difficulties caused by our retention of an obsolete system. Fortunately it's only a trivial one - there have been much worse examples, just ask NASA.
Vive le metre!
et vive l'Euro!!
Razz
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was a valid point to raise although I understand that in some places (and even on some main roads) the position of the border has become a bit blurred since relaxation of border controls.

Assuming that the digital mapping isn't an issue here, I guess that the database continues seemlessly as though it were all part of the same with the only difference being the switch from imperial to metric (or vice versa).

I believe that Canada is also metric, so crossing between USA & Canada would have a similar effect
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
there have been much worse examples, just ask NASA.
Vive le metre!
et vive l'Euro!!
Razz

Yes I believe that a few million bucks were smashed into Mars because one lot were working in metric and the other in imperial. Sad I told yo that this foreign stuff causes problem's Very Happy Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I guess that the database continues seemlessly as though it were all part of the same with the only difference being the switch from imperial to metric (or vice versa).

Certainly on the TomTom, the way the whole POI alert system works has absolutely nothing to do with imperial or metric measurements. All it cares about is flagging a point in space, with a pair of Lat/Long co-ordinates.
The only issue is what category file WE put each particular camera into so that the right speed limit sign can be flashed up on screen, in MPH or km/h.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was over in Dublin recently, I left the TT in mph mode. The only obvious difference was that the max speed indicator showed the mph conversion instead of the km/h limit. The mapping data will either have the metric or imperial limit and, knowing how good that data is, around the border area it's probably as accurate as anywhere else.

Apart from that, you just have to be careful when setting up the alerts for cameras in the eur set as the 10mph=100yards hasn't got a simple conversion to metric.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: