Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TfL to test GPS enforced speed limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TfL to test GPS enforced speed limits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superref_63 wrote:
I checked my speed n the way to work – my speed on the dial said 40 and the Sat Nav said 37 – that is not accurate enough to track people and fine them for “speeding”

You do realise, that it's the GPS that is correct and that most car speedometers purposely over-read by 3-10%? If your GPS and car speedometer read differently - believe the GPS!

Last edited by NickG on Tue May 20, 2008 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
It's a bit irratating when moderators post irrelevant, off-topic and personal messages to public threads on the site. Sad Asking your mate to install a Nintendo Wii doesn't have anything at all to do with GPS speed controllers. It's one rule for them and one rule for us.

I think you'll find this was a tongue in cheek pat on the back for what Mike Alder had achieved with something related to the original topic, not a personal request for anything.

...there's probably about as much chance of DennisN wanting to play with a Nintendo Wii as there is of me wanting to run a marathon.

It certainly is NOT a case of one rule for "them" and one rule for "us"
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
superref_63 wrote:
I checked my speed n the way to work – my speed on the dial said 40 and the Sat Nav said 37 – that is not accurate enough to track people and fine them for “speeding”

You do realise, that it's the GPS that is correct and that most car speedometers purposely over-read by 3-10%? If your GPS and car speedometer read differently - believe the GPS!

I thought I referred him to a thread that told him just that two or three posts back. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the topic again?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously a lack of a sense of humor on this discussion, but given the subject matter I suppose it's to be expected, after all how dare they take away our rights to break the law.

I like the idea of speed limiting based on posted limits, drivers can turn off yet another section of the brain and focus on more important things like text messaging or playing with their sat nav. The car will not be speeding so you won't get stopped by the police, a double bonus.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thing is though, look how many people switch their brains off cos they have a sat nav? now, if the car's max speed is automatically controlled won't this cause people to switch off even more and assume that they can go the max speed whether it's safe or not?!

also, how easy would it be to 'hack' the car and send false gps data saying you're on the 70mph stretch of motorway thereby rendering the system useless? if police assume all cars are within the limit then someone doing 50 in a 20mph school zone may well be ignored...

MaFt
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take it one step further and remove the steering wheel too - here
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
... if police assume all cars are within the limit then someone doing 50 in a 20mph school zone may well be ignored...

But they won't be doing 50 though. They'll be doing 20 inches from the car in front. Anyone would think the kids would want to cross the road or something. Wink

Anyway, as the GPS units know where to turn etc, why not give it control of the steering wheel as well (MikeAlder, this is not meant as a challenge Laughing ) and we can all sit back and relax doing exactly the speed limit without a gap. Network the cars together and you get that TV ad where the cars just miss each other going through a junction (no idea who or what it was for).

EDIT: beaten to it due to too much typing
Brodit ProClip mount
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see a topic full of half-ar$ed comments with no intelligent discussion. TBH, it is what I have come to expect recently of PGPSW - this is not a flame more an observation. I shall not be renewing my subscription.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:
Good to see a topic full of half-ar$ed comments with no intelligent discussion. TBH, it is what I have come to expect recently of PGPSW - this is not a flame more an observation. I shall not be renewing my subscription.

The subscription is for the database, not to allow you to read and contribute to (or not as you choose) this forum.
The subject matter and content of threads may be up for discussion bout its quality, but the database surely is not, and is great value. Very Happy
My appologies for the off topic post that suppliments the OPs off topic post. Crying or Very sad
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and there are a number of reasons to choose the PGPSW database over other peoples' - here
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcwarre wrote:

We shall miss you, I'm sure. No doubt you'll go on to greater things in the other forums you populate already!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
mcwarre wrote:

We shall miss you, I'm sure. No doubt you'll go on to greater things in the other forums you populate already!

[sarcasm]Gee, thanks for that.[/sarcasm] Rolling Eyes

Good to see that moderators here are fair, balanced and do not try to flame..........
Roadster-2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thought :- if this ever comes in then it would have to be over a period of time as not all cars would be equiped with a GPS controller. So speed (oops sorry, safety) cameras would still be around. Despite the governments protestations we all know that these things are not infallible. So, a motorist who has a GPS controlled throttle receives a ticket for speeding; picked up by a camera in a zone where the GPS system is controlling his maximum speed.

There's one for the lawyers !!

Another one - in the event of an accident how could you be deemed to have been in 'full control' of the vehicle when you obviously weren't.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good to see a topic full of half-ar$ed comments with no intelligent discussion.

Thats a fairly narrow-minded interpretation of this discussion. If you think for more than a micro second about it, most of the comments, although said in jest, contain some very insiteful ideas related to the topic. These ideas require serious consideration when the furture of the automobile is being considered. The controls we use came out of the Austin 7 (Which I think got it's layout from a earlier car). Virtually everything that has been discussed has been demonstrated at research institutions all over the world.

Is it not a good time to review the way we interact with and control our motor vechiles? Given the current state of research I feel it is the correct time for debating what it is we want our cars to do, and not do, for us.

Or we call all just shut up and let some politicians decide for us.

It was nice to have you on board, good wishs for your future.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: