Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Announce new ONE and ONE XL Models
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Announce new ONE and ONE XL Models
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TMC in your Honda will be exactly the same as TomTom's i.e. received via RDS over FM. It may come from RAC/TrafficMaster instead of iTIS but same delivery mechanism.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree

Considering the data comes from FM radio stations which can be picked up quite easily almost everywhere why can't TT ?

Where I am I pick up Capital in West London and that switches to Eagle when I get closer to Surrey. It takes about 30 secs from ignition switch on to get a good strong signal with the 'Traffic Events' following about 10 secs later.

I do believe it's a TT problem and not a Tm RDS-TMC problem.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough, I already saw the new Tomtom One 130 at the local Circuit City last Sunday, packaged identical to the 3rd and LE versions.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is wandering off the original topic, which is discussion of the new devices.

However, the TMC data stream that is transmitted as part of the FM signal is at a very much lower level than audio. That and the fact that the car and glass effectively attenuate what little signal there is explains why the antenna's supplied with portable GPS often perform poorly. TomTom are not alone here, it affects all. Your Honda will use the external antenna which makes a huge difference.

It's been discussed in depth in the TMC forum and is perhaps best continued there.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kar98 wrote:
Oddly enough, I already saw the new Tomtom One 130 at the local Circuit City last Sunday, packaged identical to the 3rd and LE versions.

No idea what a ONE 130 is but it's not one of these new units. They are for Europe only at the moment with a US release apparently scheduled for much later.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
No idea what a ONE 130 is but it's not one of these new units. They are for Europe only at the moment with a US release apparently scheduled for much later.

This:

TomTom, Inc. announced on Tuesday a refresh of its One and One XL GPS navigation series, with text-to-speech capabilities and an optional traffic receiver.

Formerly known as TomTom One, the new TomTom One 130 line includes the One 130 ($199.95) and One 130s ($249.95) models with 3.5-inch screens. The TomTom XL 330 series replaces the One XL line, with the XL 330 ($249.95) and XL 330s ($299.95) models featuring 4.3-inch screens.

Each product line includes TomTom's Map Share technology, which allows users to update their maps and points of interest (POIs) with corrections and improvements from the TomTom online user community. In addition, the One 130s and the XL 330s have text-to-speech capabilities and can be upgraded with an optional RDS-TMC traffic receiver.

All of the new models have a slimmer case design and a unique mounting bracket called EasyPort—an industry first, according to TomTom—that's designed to be removed with the device and fold flat.

"The distinctive design of the new TomTom One and TomTom XL, with the convenience of the EasyPort mounting solution, will set them apart from other devices on the market, and will appeal to customers looking for a compact, smart, ultra-portable solution without compromising quality or features," said Jocelyn Vigreux, President of TomTom Inc.

The new GPS models will be available at retailers in May.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gotta laugh! I specifically asked TomTom when/if these were being launched in the US and was told what I replied to you above!

Hey ho, as usual I should trust the readers here over the guff TomTom spout! Only last month TomTom told me the 930 was not yet shipping, the same day that is shipped!
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud!

And like I said, the One 130 is already out there in some retail locations. Packaged identical to the previous two base models (the 3rd and the LE/2nd/v4): green cardboard wrapper in a grenade-proof transparent plastic pack.

But I hate to say this, I think what they told you might have been not so much an oversight, as a deliberate lie, seeing how TomTom still got this banner on their US website:

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kar98 wrote:
But I hate to say this, I think what they told you might have been not so much an oversight, as a deliberate lie, seeing how TomTom still got this banner on their US website:

I'm not sure I understand you?
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Kar98 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand you?

I'm saying, they might have told you "much later in the US", so they can rid themselves of leftover inventory of the 3rd, which they incidentally advertise prominently on the US section of their web site.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I doubt that, just a case of the right arm not knowing what the left is doing. To be fair, our contacts are invariably either in the Design or European liaison teams so on this occasion I guess we can cut them a break on not knowing details of US sales plans.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The lack of interest in the new RDS device is a shame, but until the software is corrected to make use of the time delay information in the UK there is little point in such an accessory.

That said the new receiver does outperform the old one in terms of reception which is a step in the right direction.

If it offers better reception I for one am very interested! (Once the software issues are fixed of course)

Looks like they have learnt from the mistake on the poor speakers in the x20 and x30 range and put a decent size on in this unit.

Andy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I read there was no SD card slot on them?
If so how much memory do they have on board.
Any upgrades, maps/POIs etc are going to have to be direct to the machine then.

I quite often just plug the card into a card reader to mess about with POIs etc rather than start up the TT.
Think I like the card option.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:
Did I read there was no SD card slot on them?

Not on the One 130.

Quote:
I quite often just plug the card into a card reader to mess about with POIs etc rather than start up the TT.
Think I like the card option.

Yeah, well. TomTom figure they're getting the clientele who would otherwise not buy a GPS at all with the cheap model, and the ones who like the card option are expected to shell out a few bucks/quid more for the better models. Might even sell two units to some people! First the basic One, and if that's not enough as you start to dick around with them, you give it to your wife/mum/girlfriend and buy a more expensive one.
I can certainly see their business plan there, even though I don't agree with it.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here are some better images of my test units.

Here is the deeply recessed Mini-USB socket underneath the ONE and XL units.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: