Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - navman maps include bridges not yet build
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

navman maps include bridges not yet build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toolpusher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: navman maps include bridges not yet build Reply with quote

Hi just bought the Navman S50 quite impressed really simple to use quite impressed. One thing though about the maps, it tried to take me over a bridge thats not even built yet, its being constructed but far from finished. My previous Sat Nav maps used to be missing the odd new roundabout etc but never included any new roads etc that were not finished yet????
movilogo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably they tried to make it future proof Laughing

If you don't follow its intended route, it will re-calculate a new route for you.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unusual to see them having data that isn't live yet. Confused

Still, we can only wait for the news story when someone tries to go over the "bridge" because their sat nav told them to. Rolling Eyes
Brodit ProClip mount
toolpusher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Bridge that never was Reply with quote

Funny thing was the road leading in to the bridge being constructed was open for construction traffic, but there was a notice warning people. To be honest I know this section of road very well and was only testing the Navman as I had just bought it. Must admit I have to watch myself as I tend to put to much faith into Sat Navs when I use them and just blindly follow their commands especially in places I don't know so yes I was also surprised that the map includes roads etc not completed yet.

TP
not_sure_i_care
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOI, what bridge was it?
toolpusher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Bridge name Reply with quote

Its a bridge being built in the far north of Scotland just north of a village called Helemsdale in the county of Sutherland

TP
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Helmsdale not Helemsdale.

And very pretty too.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...And Google Maps ALSO shows the new route as being completed - i.e. the bridge over the culvert being the main road of the A9 now, and the little white local road (which is actually the current real road alignment) as being noting more than a local road.

58.13419 N by -3.61801 W being the co-ordinates.

Curiously, Google Maps shows the current road as a local thin white line on it, with the new road alignment still being built as the CURRENT route.

But Google Earth goes one further, and shows the whole new road route from Helmsdale north itself, different again.

This is going way o/t, but if you want to know more, if you are sad like me, then check out:

THIS SITE

And view the slideshow of images. The last one, image 6, is the map, and shows you the distinct spur shape of the EXISTING route, which Google thinks is the old road, and a thus just a local road.

Beautiful part of the country this, albeit a long time since I was last there.
toolpusher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: You guys are amazing Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Yes you guys are sad but totally amazing. Did not think anyone would bother about this wee blip on the Sat Nav map front!! Sorry about the speling mistake but us people from Thurso were never very strong at that.!!

Shadamehr Thanks for the link to that site , going to be a while the before the bridge is finished by the look of it. Actually Google maps have it right, the bit you speak about the wee local road is already finished. I have roughly updated the google map to show you the new road in red. You can find it http://www.toolpusher.co.uk/helmsdale.htm here on a website I have. (whos sad now Laughing Out Loud)

Thanks

TP
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why oh why do companies publish UK distances in km? as in 'It lies approximately 105 km north of Inverness and 70 km south of Thurso'. In UK it is the law to give road distances (on road signs) in miles Sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
In UK it is the law to give road distances (on road signs) in miles Sad

And WHY??? The only reason why is that when we went metric in nineteen nought blob, roads were not changed because it would have meant the government having to pay for all the road signs to be changed - it was OK for all of us to try and learn how many stupid things made an inch, a foot or a yard, but not the government. They'll put you in jail for selling lengths of timber in feet, but it's OK for them to stick with it. We still lay kerb stones in yards, only we call them 0.914 metres long! We still have 1" size stones to make tarmac, but we call them 28mm.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: You guys are amazing Reply with quote

toolpusher wrote:
Hi Guys

Yes you guys are sad but totally amazing. Did not think anyone would bother about this wee blip on the Sat Nav map front!! Sorry about the speling mistake but us people from Thurso were never very strong at that.!!
Shadamehr Thanks for the link to that site , going to be a while the before the bridge is finished by the look of it. Actually Google maps have it right, the bit you speak about the wee local road is already finished. I have roughly updated the google map to show you the new road in red. You can find it http://www.toolpusher.co.uk/helmsdale.htm here on a website I have. (whos sad now Laughing Out Loud)
Thanks
TP

@ Toolpusher,

Now there's a strange thing...

As my prior post mentioned, Google Earth, and Google Maps, are showing two different things - and I always thought they used the SAME DATA. Oh er. Google maps, on the web, shows the OLD, current route, as I understand it, albeit, until it comes to the spur or almost upside down letter U or V.

This is shown on your map/Google Maps as a local road - with the A9 now taking a straight, direct route avoiding this now. Are you saying that is correct now?

In terms of Google Earth however, it is already showing the full new direct route from Helmsdale, to join the A9 adjacent to this spur loop bit - the route that is being built, but not yet done.

Yes, we are sad, but hey, that's what Sat-nav, geo-tagging, and orienteering and map reading is all about for some of us saddos - it's always been a hobby of mine, map and satellite image reading.

@ Dennis, old moaner that you might well be (yours and other's descriptions, not mine, rest assured *Laughing Out Loud*), I have to say you so have it right with your post about metric and imperial.

Please bear in mind too, that as a result of exactly the point you make, not only is it confusing for you lot that understood Imperial, and now have to get to grips with Metric, but it's just as bad for the likes of me (35 years old) that was born AFTER Metrification I am given to believe, but whilst understanding mm, cm, metres, and kilograms, must ALSO try to get my head around people being weighted in Stones and Pounds still, and distances and speed being measured in miles.

So it's just as bad for both of us - perhaps me even more so, as at least you knew what Imperial was, and had metric brought in. I never even really new Imperial.

So your are exactly spot on - what a blithering, cheep-skate way of doing things, which is all the government did.

They didn't bring in Metric... they brought in a dual-format, confusing, and mixed up set of national standards, is all they did, it seems to little young me.

And as the EEC al but gave us back-door dispensation to continue with speeds and distances in miles for pretty much an open ended period, it's not something i see ever changing soon.

More likely we will join the Euro currency, long before we ever move over to speeds in MPH.

Curious side point though - trying to be modern or what, I cannot say, but I am almost sure that when our local Metro System (light-rail) was brought in around Tyneside in 1983, all the speed signs on the railway, are in KPH, not MPH. As these are not road signs, someone told me the relevant imperial measures law does not apply to a new light rail system such as this.

So our Metro, as best I recall, uses KPH for speed signs. What a mixed up mess - just like your post says!

*Laughing Out Loud*
alexpj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Up to date maps? S90i Reply with quote

Which date is on the maps that are the most recently released?

My S90i has preference|navman about screen 6/23 saying: TeleAtlas Maps (c) 2007. Rel 04/2007.

Does anyone have a more recent set of maps for the S series?

There's a major local bypass/road which has been around for quite some time that this map doesn't feature. Can anyone tell me if their Navman has a road (A4146) heading NW from the roundabout at:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=LU7+0&ie=UTF8&ll=51.90593,-0.69113&spn=0.011306,0.029097&z=16

Thanks.
Visagephoto
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Up to date maps? S90i Reply with quote

alexpj wrote:
Which date is on the maps that are the most recently released?

My S90i has preference|navman about screen 6/23 saying: TeleAtlas Maps (c) 2007. Rel 04/2007.

Does anyone have a more recent set of maps for the S series?

Thanks.

I just purchased my S50 two weeks ago and the it has the same map version as yours.
alexpj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Up to date maps? S90i Reply with quote

Visagephoto wrote:

I just purchased my S50 two weeks ago and the it has the same map version as yours.

Thanks Visage, much appreciated. I hear, from xtraseller, that the 10/2007 version of the maps is due out with updated software next month.

KR
Al.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: