Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom shares fall 14% following profit warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom shares fall 14% following profit warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: TomTom shares fall 14% following profit warning Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comTomTom's share price fell 14% today following their first quarter results and an announcement of a revised profit forecast for the year. TomTom has revised its sales annual sales forecast down from a February estimate of €2.2 billion to €1.8 - €2.0 billion.

Despite huge market growth TomTom blamed their weak results on reduced inventory levels at their European retailers and reduced unit prices ahead of new product launched which happened earlier than expected.

Although TomTom continues to grow this news will cause investors to take stock, even with TomTom's strong market position it is clear that they are unable to control the declining street selling prices and margins are falling as a direct result.

TomTom still expects to ship 2.0 million PND's in Q1 2008 but this will generate revenue of €260 million - €270 million, lower than Q1 2007 with an operating margin falling to a single digit. The acquisition of TeleAtlas will doubtless further impact profit margins once it is cleared by the European Commission.
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This profit prediction comes as no surprise as product and indeed company life cycles become shorter and shorter. Tom Tom are now entering the maturity stage. The race to launch new product and functionality on a monthly basis has of course driven down retail prices of “out of date” units and customers will be reluctant to invest in such products and that don’t work correctly. This policy has, in my opinion, shortened the Company’s growth stage.
The issue now will be how the Company reacts to the inevitable next stages. In most cases cost cutting will now occur. Let’s hope Customer Support will be spared, indeed strengthened to get current products to actually work as promised, and product innovation will slow to a manageable pace that both the Company and Customers can cope with.
However the norm will be cut costs to protect the bottom line, and then watch the Company move into decline.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my best course of action is to buy back my GO700 which I sold to son-in-law (or swap him for my 920), update it to Navcore 7, buy the 715 map and revert to reliable performance before TomTom go belly up!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all their excellent customer support, continued commitment and loyalty to the platform that I invested in, my heart bleeds, it really does.

Hey TomTom, remember way back when I mentioned you couldn't treat us so badly and expect us to just accept it? The customer is always right... eventually.

RIP

Premature, but I thought I'd get it in a bit early! Wink
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bring a sense of balance here, TomTom have shown a darn sight more loyalty to their older products that most other brands! You can still update your original GO Classic to the latest v7 firmware after all, most brands dump older hardware as soon as a replacement is launched.

The PocketPC issue is different I accept but that is due more to the peculiarities of PocketPC than TomTom, CoPilot are the only other Tier One brand who author for PocketPC which does indicate that either the market segment is complicated to code for or that the entire segment is dying.

I'm not a TomTom apologist but some of the comments are rather silly. This downturn is simply a reflection of the recent market changes, you can guarantee that Garmin will have been similarly affected when they release their figures, TT still achieved 100% growth in the US and they're finances are still very healthy.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed - the go classic was updated to version 7 and has map share, doesn't it? how's THAT for keeping old products going and updated?!

if they were really as bad as people make out then they would have been out of business a long long time ago - remember they're not saying they're making a loss, just making a more realistic prediction of their expected profits...

MaFt
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
To bring a sense of balance here...
...but some of the comments are rather silly

That would be ME then! Laughing

Exhibit A: My signature and previous posts say it all - I care not a hoot for TT's PND devices, which I consider an entirely outdated concept, regardless of capability. That's my opinion, and everyone's welcome to hold an opposing one. I can at least acknowledge that many owners are happy with their PNDs and I am happy for them. They simply aren't for me. I hope that doesn't cause anyone any injury. The reality is at a time when TT has stopped developing solutions for non-PNDs, their prospects are reported to be in decline.

Exhibit B: I pay a subscription to TT to be advised of traffic delays on mapping that does not reflect actual conditions; I have the latest mapping available for my device. how do I know? Because for PND customers, new mapping exists which reflect changes.

I'd like to pay TomTom some money to keep their product up to date with topographical conditions, if not features. They don't seem to want to help.

I have asked TT if they have abandoned the Palm platform; they will not say. They have chosen not to say a number of times over a significant period of time. Disregard for customers? Ignorant and silo'd business functions? A sickly organisation? I'll leave it to others to decide - the outcome remains the same - disenfranchised customer(s).

Exhibit C: In a best case scenario, this is evidence of TT having an active strategy. If so, such strategy is diametrically opposed to the expectations, predictions and forecasts of industry experts who identify Sat Nav as a key component of converging technologies for the mobile and smartphone technology space. Chip technologies and handset manufacturer roadmaps all define GPS convergence.

My opinion? Well if so, shared by a number of industry pundits reflecting on TT's recent report in the media over recent days.

TomTom has either forgotten to - or chosen to - neglect this market segment despite industry trends; that's their decision, but at least have the good grace to acknowledge it or explain themselves (I'm quite sure they can justify this action - I've proposed a number of possible reasons previously; that they have not done so to their existing customers displays either a basic failure to understand good customer retention practices or blatant disregard... or perhaps an inability to function in a healthy manner).

Few digital compact camera manufacturers will admit to failing to factor in to their sales forecasts the impact of this trend - it isn't just a GPS thing, that's the issue with convergence.

I'm sorry if this causes offence, but I have no emotional investment in TomTom (they've killed any hope of that through my dealings with the company over the past 2 years - perhaps they were a nicer company to do business with in the past, I don't know) - my investment in an upgradable platform is purely financial. Because of that, I personally would be happy to see TT go to the wall, hence my previous comments. In my opinion they've grown from an enthusiastic and creative operation to an arrogant ineffectual organisation in a reasonably short space of time. I'd rather give my money to a new, vibrant, considerate and responsible company. Sorry for any offence caused.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence caused whatsoever, as I say, I'm not a TomTom apologist and you make valid points.

I was simply clarifying that none of the major players have a big presence in the PDA market any more with Palm even more isolated and that TomTom have offered a measure of support for older devices far ahead of some other brands.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didnt TomTom originally build up their business on the back of the palm ??? many years ago.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Didnt TomTom originally build up their business on the back of the palm ??? many years ago.

Indeed, but nobody, not even TomTom, have managed to mismanage themselves like Palm have done - I couldn't blame anyone for abandoning my platform of choice.

I'm praying for the SDK for iPhone re-igniting TomTom's enthusiasm... then I can go back to bitching about their support rather than them abandoning me! Never happy, some people! Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:

No. Some directors came from Palm as did some from Psion. Both fantastic companies disastrously managed especially Psion towards the end.

I had a Palm Tungsten, lovely unit with a fantastic screen as I did a Psion 5a which was truly revolutionary.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: