Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI and POI Category management
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI and POI Category management

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: POI and POI Category management Reply with quote

Having started to get deeper into the POI functions, I have created a POI Category called "Cafes" as per the instructions - so far, so good. However, when out on my travels and wishing to record yet another scoff stop as a fresh POI, I cannot figure out how to get the new POI to end up in the "Cafes" category. I find simply that every new POI ends up in "My POIs" - actually it ends up in "Pubs" because I renamed "My POIs" as "Pubs" (yes, there's a theme here!)

I cannot find a way of selecting which category new POIs go into. Nor can I find a way of cutting and pasting an individual POI from one category to another.

Any ideas, anyone?
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it "looks" like there is a way by selecting the category and Edit and then "Add New POI by ..." but it doesn't work.

Also as you say there is no way to move a POI to another category.

Looks half finished to me?
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertharvey wrote:
Also as you say there is no way to move a POI to another category. Looks half finished to me?
After I posted the query I spoke to Satmap about thhis. There was a long silence at the other end and then they said they thought I'd stumbled over something they'd overlooked! I believe they're now working on sorting it.
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
they said they thought I'd stumbled over something they'd overlooked! I believe they're now working on sorting it.

This is hardly the largest set of menus or user interface to test. If they want someone to write a full "User Acceptance Test", let me know. Did they say if the software was being written offshore also or by them? (probably wouldn't if it was). If it is offshore there's an even stronger reason to have a tight set of UAT/System tests.

Still great product, let's make it better.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: POI and POI Category management Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
Having started to get deeper into the POI functions, I have created a POI Category called "Cafes" as per the instructions - so far, so good. However, when out on my travels and wishing to record yet another scoff stop as a fresh POI, I cannot figure out how to get the new POI to end up in the "Cafes" category. I find simply that every new POI ends up in "My POIs" - actually it ends up in "Pubs" because I renamed "My POIs" as "Pubs" (yes, there's a theme here!)

I cannot find a way of selecting which category new POIs go into. Nor can I find a way of cutting and pasting an individual POI from one category to another.

Any ideas, anyone?

Well Plodin, you did better than I have managed. I can't even see how to create a new category, other than copying the existing category, renaming and deleting the contents. How did you do it? I can't see it in the instructions (written for 1.16) and the actual 1.2 setup seems slighlty different.

When highlighted the category has a "properties" option, which takes you to a promising looking page, but it is a dead end.

It would be nice to get some more functionality in this area.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: POI and POI Category management Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
I can't even see how to create a new category, other than copying the existing category, renaming and deleting the contents. How did you do it?
As far as I can remember, I edited the name of the existing POI category from "My POIs" to "Cafes" and named the POIs inside it as required. But when I later created a fresh POI, it appeared in a new "My POIs" category, created automatically by the A10. As I posted earlier, I renamed that category as "Pubs" but I couldn't find as way of moving individual POIs from one category to another. I spoke to Satmap and they acknowledged there is a gap in functionality here. I had hoped they'd address this in v1.200 but it seems they haven't. I find it frustrating that individual POIs can't be atttached to individual Tracks. Since the facility is basically unusable, I've given up on it.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did eventually find it in the manual.

To create a new category you, do, strangely, have to copy an existing category, rename it and delete the contents one POI at a time. I have now created an empty category named "Blank" because deleting dozens of POIs after copying is a chore.

To create a POI in a particular category:

1. Highlight the required category in the POI Categories Menu and select EDIT
2. Scroll down to "Add New POI by Map and press centre of joystick
3. Move joystick to map location and add POI (top left if right-handed)
Similar process to add from a grid ref.

The POI should appear on the selected category.

The POI categories menu seems to do strange things with the order in which the various categories are shown.

Ploddin, does your database of pubs and cafes cover the whole country? Have you thought about sharing it on this forum?
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
To create a POI in a particular category:
1. Highlight the required category in the POI Categories Menu and select EDIT
2. Scroll down to "Add New POI by Map and press centre of joystick
3. Move joystick to map location and add POI (top left if right-handed)
Similar process to add from a grid ref.
Well spotted - I hadn't figured that one out.
4ndynorfolk wrote:
Ploddin, does your database of pubs and cafes cover the whole country? Have you thought about sharing it on this forum?
No. sorry if I've given the wrong impression - my occasional cafe/pub POIs are just handy places I note relating to a particular cycle route; if I want to ride it again in the future, I know where the sustenance stops are. That's another reason why I want to be able to attach selected POI to a particular Track. I don't want to slow up the unit by storing hordes of routes; rather, I want to be able to load say, half a dozen rides, ideally with each having the POI relevant to it. But in practice, it probably doesn't make much difference having all the POIs in one file, as I doubt they take up much space.
Westlothian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This POI organisation software could be greatly improved.

Importing POIs as .gpx files seem to be the best solution currently.

I also note that the "nearest POI" field for the Data Box Layout seems to only consider the first POI Category in the list and ignores closer POIs in the other categories. The Category List order seems to change about but not for any obvious reason. I tried moving categories to the SD card and back this shuffled the order and the "nearest POI" field but it was not predictable.

Again it would appear to be a simple thing to fix and test.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: