Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sony-Ericsson announce XPERIA X1 a GPS Windows Mobile phone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony-Ericsson announce XPERIA X1 a GPS Windows Mobile phone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Sony-Ericsson announce XPERIA X1 a GPS Windows Mobile phone Reply with quote

Sony-Ericsson have moved away from the propriety phone operating system and have entered the World of Windows Mobile. The XPERIA X1 was announced on the eve of the Mobile World Congress and represents a significant move into the WM space enabling the quick and easy deployment of many LBS and Navigation solutions available on the WM platform.
Sony-Ericsson press release wrote:
Sony Ericsson marks the launch of its new brand XPERIA™ with the unveiling of the XPERIA™ X1
10 February 2008
The world of our consumers and customers is changing. To meet the growing need for mobile Web communication and multimedia entertainment, Sony Ericsson introduces XPERIA™. With this new brand Sony Ericsson will position itself at the forefront of mobile convergence.

Barcelona, Spain – 10th February 2008 –Today marked the launch of XPERIA™ and a new era in mobile communications with the announcement of the XPERIA™ X1, a stand-out, arc slider phone from Sony Ericsson designed to address the growing need for a premium, converged mobile experience.

The XPERIA™ X1 combines a 3-inch clear wide VGA display and a full QWERTY keyboard within a quality metal-finish body. With Windows Mobile® inside, the XPERIA™ X1 lets you choose from a dynamic range of activities at anytime and anywhere; from enjoying your favourite entertainment content to working efficiently on-the-move. Access a world of experiences simply by touching the XPERIA™ panel on the screen.

“XPERIA™ represents the first brand that is truly borne from within Sony Ericsson. It represents our vision for a premium, energised communication experience,” said Dee Dutta, Head of Marketing, Sony Ericsson. “This launch, and the announcement of the X1, further strengthens the overall Sony Ericsson brand and places us at the forefront of mobile convergence.”

“Our vision for the XPERIA™ X1 is to deliver a seamless blend of mobile Web communication and multimedia entertainment within a distinctive design,” said Rikko Sakaguchi, Head of Portfolio and Propositions, Sony Ericsson. “XPERIA™ is our promise to think foremost of user experience and to deliver the premium experience – anytime, anywhere, anything, with anyone.”

Sony Ericsson XPERIATM X1 – energised communication, the premium experience.

Convergence of multimedia entertainment and mobile Web communication
Unique arc slider with wide pitch easy-to-use QWERTY keyboard
XPERIA™ panels - arrange as you want for easy access
Enjoy multimedia entertainment on bright wide VGA display
Windows Mobile® capabilities
XPERIA™ panel interface – experiences just the way you want them
Enjoy access to different experiences – Web, multimedia, applications – from your desktop. Navigate with the tip of your finger. Configure and have your XPERIA™ panels just the way you want them.

Multiple navigation – the choice is yours
XPERIA™ X1 lets you interact with your
phone in different ways. Touch, full QWERTY keyboard, 4-way key and optical joystick navigation. Switch seamlessly between operation modes.

Arc slider design – makes it stand out
The arc design gives a distinct and unique feel. Slide the screen upwards to reveal the wide pitch QWERTY keyboard. Ample distance between keys makes writing fast and easy.

Ultimate mobile experience – performance on the move
With Windows Mobile®, the highest data transfer rate (HSDPA/HSUPA) and WiFi™ support, you can enjoy your favourite entertainment and work efficiently on the move. Mobile access to everything that is important to you. aGPS gives you the freedom to explore the world. XPERIA™ X1 is a premium mobile experience.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB, I have looked at the blog, this looks like a killer device, the VGA screen and HSDPA coupled with GPS is everything the HTC Polaris was rumoured to have a while back (but never delivered due to the QVGA display) - possibly the ultimate convergence device?

I would like to see more of this "toy" before deciding if its for me as an Artemis replacement - any chance of some pictures or have I missed the boat?
Also when is this expected to hit the shops in the UK - MikeAlder
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to muscle my way through the crowds this afternoon and grab some pictures of the device... There was only 1 working version on the stand and the poor guy was swamped.

The pics are not very good, but give an idea of the size of the device. I will post them tomorrow (actually it is later today) in the Event Blog.

From what I saw there is an interesting home/today page, with 9 sectioned application pages. These can be arranged in a grid or a fan. Now didnt I see that on my MacOS 10.5??
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the pictures are there now. Only two came out and they were not wonderful Sad

Click here
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
they were not wonderful

you can say that again!!

does look nice though!

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear this is a HTC manufactured device probably badged by SE running WM6,5 from what I have been reading on the net, did the staff of the stand mention anything about this? - Mike
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It would appear this is a HTC manufactured device probably badged by SE running WM6,5 from what I have been reading on the net, did the staff of the stand mention anything about this? - Mike

That is not the sort of information divulged willingly. The poor guy was swamped by people, including the Korean Minister for Industry so it was not really possible to get a lot of info.
pko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Xperia Reply with quote

to Mikb, obviously I'm not holding you to anything, but with your experience together with the spec. SE have released, do you think it would accept & run Memory Map providing it had a large enough memory card?
many thanks pko
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I dont think I would be sticking my neck out too far saying that it will almost certainly run Memory-Map. A lot of lesser specified devices run it OK so there is no reason to suspect the SE wont run it.

One of the questions to bear in mind will be the battery life. On my O2 orbit it is quite good though. Comparable to a dedicated PDA.
sausages
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm, the Xperia isn't 'new' per se.

I spotted it in its current form at the end of January. The only differences between it and the kaiser was the then announced 400mb internal storage and the extremely useful USB Mass Storage facility. Apart from that there's not that much difference.

The kaiser/Vario III has serious issues with its video drivers. Touch applications run on the kaiser but there are a number of fixes, cabs and applications from other HTC devices which bring the Kaiser up to a functionality level comparable to the Xperia though I suspect not as fast or as smooth as the Xperia.

My Kaiser runs Memory Map and I have the entire 1:50k map set on a 6GB micro SD card and have done for a long time. I have a selection of the 1:25k maps and it all woks seamlessly, picking up a (hot) feed from the GPS chip in about 4 seconds. Memory Map worked on the MDA Compact and its predecessors including old school Pocket PCs about 500 years ago, so I'm pretty sure the Xperia will run it.

The 3G HSDPA on the Kaiser is OK and no more. The actual throughput is good but there's a lot of lag and the latency is a bit shoddy. That's when you can get a 3G signal. TomTom traffic hangs when it can't find a signal but it does come back of its own accord eventually. I suspect the Xperia will be the same.

I've been using these sort of devices since early pocket PCs and the Kaiser is the first truly converged device but if you don't know what you are doing with them they could well prove an expensive and frustrating nightmare. You really do have to tweak the bejesus out of them to get them to do what they are capable of.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the Kaiser/ Vario III uses QVGA screen size, which considering its poor graphics driver is probably a good thing. The new unit is VGA, that is four times as many pixels to make up the screen image so they will have had to alter the graphics hardware in a big way - Mike
sausages
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
But the Kaiser/ Vario III uses QVGA screen size, which considering its poor graphics driver is probably a good thing. The new unit is VGA, that is four times as many pixels to make up the screen image so they will have had to alter the graphics hardware in a big way - Mike

I agree, the screen will be much better but tbh the only benefit that will give over the kaiser is to people who rip movies. You have to be desperately bored to watch a DVD on a PPC !

I'll probably get one but for now, as far as functionality goes, the Kaiser is still the chief.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some additional information on this device:

This device isn’t VGA it is actually WVGA sporting 800x480 pixels with 16 bit colour it has a 3” wide TFT screen. The battery is only 1500mAh so it will be interesting to see how this lasts in heavy usage with a large screen and the associated power needed to drive it. The spec does mention hardware 3D support, but only in the introduction and some sort of demo mode involving a fish tank.

For communication you get full a full Quad band phone which drops to Tri-Band for the UMTS connection, speeds quoted are HSDPA 7,2Mbps and HSUPA 2,0Mbps obviously these figures will be under ideal conditions seldom in use will you actually achieve this full data transfer.

Built in memory is available and up to 400MB of it is installed, if you need more than this a micro SD card slot is provided which supports SDHC, it doesn’t state where this actually is on the phone. From one of the pictures it appears to be on the side of the phone, I hope so as the “lets hide it under the battery” seen on a number of other devices was a very poor idea.

There is an FM radio built into the device which (no surprises here) uses the headphones as the aerial, what does seem strange though is the 3,5MM audio jack the headphones employ. This makes we wonder if it is a HTC device at all, HTC have been using the 11 pin mini USB connector for headphone connectivity for quite some time.

The camera technology employed on the Experia comprise of two cameras the main rear one is equipped with an LED flash and sports up to 3,2 Mega Pixel resolution, an interesting concept will be the “Touch Focus” system it uses. A front mounted camera is provided for video calls. The main camera also supports video recording, European phones will be capable of shooting at VGA resolution (640x480) at up to 30fps, strangely the US spec version only gets video recording at QVGA (320x240) at up to 24fps

The languages supported are World Wide English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Finnish, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian, it will be interesting to see where this unit is released first out of that lot though.

Very little is said about the aGPS other than “Several 3rd party applications can be used for location based services and Navigation”, Google maps are pre-installed to the unit. My only real concern with 3rd party applications on this unit will be screen compatibility, the 800x480 resolution is not common place in the word of PDA’s (yet) so pko you should be able to load MM on the device as it is WM6 but whether MM supports WVGA is an unknown at the moment.

Bluetooth is unsurprisingly version 2 owners of the TomTom PNA devices will have some fun though getting it to work for a data connection, it lacks the necessary DUN profile.
It does support the following though:
    GAP – Generic Access Profile
    SDAP – Service discovery application profile
    GOEP – Generic Object Exchange Profile
    A2DP – Advanced Audio Distribution Profile
    AVRCP – Audio Video Remote Control Profile (v1,0 only)
    HFP – Hands Free Profile
    HSP – Headset Profile
    HID – Human Interface Device Profile (not supported)
    FTP – File Transfer Profile
    PAN – Personal Area Network (Only server supported)
    OPP – Object Push Profile
    SPP – Serial Port Profile

If you want to read the entire white paper go to This Page, enter the silly four characters in the check box and it will download the 39 page pdf document - Mike
sausages
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will give it a read.

Looks tempting and I like the 3.5mm jack idea.
pko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mikealder, very interesting. I'll see what I can find from MM.
kind regards
pko

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: