Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M42 Cameras not in Single POI File
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M42 Cameras not in Single POI File
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: M42 Cameras not in Single POI File Reply with quote

Yesterday I updated my Nuvi 350 using the single file data base. The variable speed cameras on the M42 are not showing up - other roads seem fine.

I have now downloaded the Speed Zoned file and all is working OK.

Why the difference?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presuming that for a Nuvi you would be using pocketgps_uk_sc.csv, then, if you still have it, open it in Excel or rename it to pocketgps_uk_sc.txt and open it in Notepad. In my copy, I can find GATSO:3405 & GATSO:11183. Do you have them?
I'm not a Nuvi user, but I seem to remember, from other posts, that you only get a warning as you approach (or exceed?) the limit for the camera. How does this work for variable cameras?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variable cameras are usually set with a trigger sped of 0 mph so it'll be GATSO:12345@0. They will alert at any speed.
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

Unfortunately I deleted the single file from my computer before downloading the speed zoned file today. However - I have downloaded the single file again - opened both files in Excel and can see in both files the following M42 GATSO speed 0 cameras.
3405, 3406, 3466, 3467, 3493, 3501, 11183 and 13150.

Hence the plot thickens because all the cameras are in both data files.

I live just off the M42 and use the road at least twice a day. Yesterday with the single file loaded, I got a 40 mph warning as I proceeded along the M42 as I passed junction 4 - but this is a camera on the main road near the junction and is a regular false alarm. However - none of the M42 cameras came up as a warning.

Today I loaded the speed zoned file and drove along the M42 - I got the normal false alarm at junction 4 and all the GATSO gantries that normally give a warning worked as expected.

Tomorrow I will load the single file in my partner's Garmin 350 and drive along the M42 with both sat navs working to check them side by side.

More anon.

Last edited by AlanHo on Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the false alamr GATSO:1412@40? If so did you have a route plotted at the time?
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is confirmed. I have tried using both our Nuvi 350 sat navs side by side in the car. Both have the latest Garmin firmware and both have identical settings. I did not plot a route - just drove with the sat navs on and displaying the map.

One has the speed camera single file loaded - the other the speed zoned file.

Only the speed zoned file displays warnings about the M42 Gatso cameras. I drove along the M42 this morning passing GATSO cameras 3493, 3501, 3466, 11183, 3405 and 3406 then returned home via junction 4 along the A34 and through Solihull town which took me past speed cameras 1412, 1411, 1410, 697, 1303, 1300, 1301 and 1302 on the urban roads.

(Note - it is camera 1412 which gives a false alarm as you drive past J4 on the motorway)

Both sat navs alarmed at all the cameras - but the sat nav with the single file again ignored those on the M42.

I also noticed that the sat nav with the speed zoned file displays the camera locations on the map as a red circle surrounding the speed - in the case of the variable speed cameras on the M42 an asterisk is shown in a red circle.

On sat nav with the single file the camera locations are shown as a dark grey dot on the sat nav display map - including the cameras on the M42 which do not alarm as you approach them. Hence the speed limit is not displayed.

This is all very odd - and to complete my experiment I updated the sat nav with the single file to the speed zoned file and drove the route again - this time both sat navs behaved identically - alarming at all the M42 and urban cameras - and displaying the speed as described above on the display map.

There is clearly something very strange about using the single file on a Nuvi and it would be wise to warn all Nuvi users about it.

An explanation from someone who knows more about this would be very welcome - I am very puzzled.

Last edited by AlanHo on Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Note - it is camera 1412 which gives a false alarm as you drive past J4 on the motorway)

I'll go back and read the rest again in a minute but just to clarify it is NOT a false alarm. When in non-guided mode the unit will alert to to ANY camera within Proximity Range even if it is not on the road you are on. As the unit doesn't know if you'll be taking that turning or not it'll alert you as you have the potential to pass it. In guided mode you will NOT be alerted to cameras off route.
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

I'll go back and read the rest again in a minute but just to clarify it is NOT a false alarm. When in non-guided mode the unit will alert to to ANY camera within Proximity Range even if it is not on the road you are on. As the unit doesn't know if you'll be taking that turning or not it'll alert you as you have the potential to pass it. In guided mode you will NOT be alerted to cameras off route.

I appreciate that the sat nav responds to distance from coordinates and has no regard for direction (unless you use Garmin's own system). I only mentioned it to confirm that the sat nav was responding to "normal" cameras.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On sat nav with the single file the camera locations are shown as a dark grey dot on the sat nav display map - including the cameras on the M42 which do not alarm as you approach them. Hence the speed limit is not displayed.

Something is wrong here. It should display an icon of a black GATSO symbol against a white background. I believe a grey dot is used when an icon is missing.

Edit: Now confirmed. You get a black dot when no icon (or a mis-matched icon) is present.

Are you in any way altering the database or the icons before loading it? Including renaming it, putting in a folder, changing icons, etc

I've just done a simulated run with the Single File and all worked ok here. Alert, black and white icon, the works....

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PaulB2005"]
Quote:

Something is wrong here. It should display an icon of a black GATSO symbol against a white background. I believe a grey dot is used when an icon is missing.

Are you in any way altering the database or the icons before loading it? Including renaming it, putting in a folder, changing icons, etc

I am simply downloading the file from your website and installing it using the Garmin POI Loader without any manual interference.

Just in case I am doing something wrong this is my procedure :-

Access your website - select Garmin download for POI loader and the required file
Download file to my Vista computer hard drive
Open the zip file and transfer the csv file to an empty folder titled "Nuvi POI's"
Connect the sat nav to a USB port
Open Garmin POI loader - select the location of the file (Nuvi POI's folder)
Load file - disconnect Nuvi when the POI Loader tells me it is finished.

What seems so strange is that if you open both csv files (Single file v Speed Zoned file) in Excel the entries for the rogue cameras seem identical in both files. However - if I manually browse the maps - camera positions show up as small grey dots in the single file and red circles surrounding the speed in the Speed Zoned file. This does not bother me - but it does illustrate that the Nuvi behaves strangely when loaded with your single file.

I should perhaps also confirm that I have had both files installed on each of our sat navs which have the same firmware & settings - and they behave identically - thus proving that the sat nav itself is not faulty.

Both sat navs are Nuvi 350
City Navigator Europe NT v9
Sotware version 5.30
Garmin Cyclops not selected on either sat nav.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell how the cameras appear on the M25? Say camera 14664, between Junction 9 and 10?
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/AlanHo1937/M25Gatso.jpg

Sorry about the image quality. As you will see the icon is just a grey dot.[/url]
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Page not found
AlanHo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that - I am on a photobucket learning curve - please try now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/AlanHo1937/M25Gatso.jpg
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference - xImage can be used to make screen shots on Garmin Sat Nav - Click Here

---

OK. As your unit is newer than mine the "missing icon" could now be a grey dot rather than my black dot.

OK here is GATSO:11183@0 with the icon loaded. This is what you should see.

Here is GATSO:11183@0 with no icon loaded. I suspect this is the old version of the grey blob you see.

At the minute i can think of no reason why this should happen. It must be a specific problem with the Single File database and the Nuvi 350 or the firmware you are using. I don't remember seeing anyone else reporting this.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: