Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looking for GPS receiver with Data Logger
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for GPS receiver with Data Logger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OmCaE1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

The Progin has two types of logging interval: AUTO and MANUAL.
In AUTO mode the data logging interval depends on the travelling speed and under 10 km/h it is a 2 sec. interval. In MANUAL mode the interval range is 5 to 55 sec in steps of 5 sec.

Dennis
Lindum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis

Thanks for the info. I don't think that is going to work for me. I asked the same question about the SG-289 to GPSforLess and they think the 289 is 2 seconds; they also say a new version is due with one second intervals but no further details.

General question: why do these automatic modes reduce the logging interval for slower speeds and increase it for faster ones? Seems the wrong way around to me.

Bob
OmCaE1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

It depends from which viewpoint you look at it.
Most of these dataloggers have a limited internal memory. With this implementation of the AUTO mode they prevent that the memory fills up too quickly.
But it has a negative influence on the accuracy of the path and that is what you are pointing to, I assume. And I think you are right.
As a matter of fact, the Progin has a SD card for writing the log, so it doesn't suffer from the memory to fill up too quickly. That was one of main reasons I bought this datalogger. Also the fact that it does not loose its log when the battery dies is important for me.

On the other hand, do you need high accuracy of your path at high speeds? Is that why you need that 1 second interval?

Dennis
OmCaE1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSK wrote:

There is a firmware issue with the NMEA sentences that are logged to the SD card, but this is only a 10 second fix when the .txt file is opened in Word; this automatically configures the CR to the correct setting and when you save the file it works in any application you choose.

John

I have tried this "conversion" via Word also, but have found a quicker solution now. It works under Mac OSX at least. By just changing the .txt extension to .nmea, I was able to read the Progin log files into HoudahGPS and convert them to other files (.kml, .gpx, etc.). HoudahGPS actually is a friendly user interface to GPSBabel, which is the conversion engine.

Dennis
Lindum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly right. In one second a 50 km/h target moves about 14m which is just about a meaningful distance given the accuracy of the GPS position information. Interpolation works in a straight line but a 5 second interval for a manoeuvring target could easily lead to a 50+m error.

On the other hand for a 10 km/h target I would get 14m spacing from a 5s interval.

Even if one line of log data is 1000 bytes, if I had a 2 Gig SD card I would get over 550 hours of data at a one second interval!

Back to the drawing board I suppose. But it sounds like you would recommend the Progin on all other aspects? It would probably be safe to assume that the Zycast performs equally well?
OmCaE1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have seen till now, 20 minutes of logging at 5 sec interval generates a 40Kb txt file. So it is about 120K/hour. I have to do some more testing to figure the exact number.

I don't know the Zycast, I think the Progin is the newer version. I got mine from GSPLaden (Germany) via eBay. If I compare the Progin with other dataloggers in the same pricerange, I think it is a good choice. On top of the beforementioned features, it also enables you to do a setup without using a PC, but directly on the device using its LCD.
But I am still testing its accuracy, because when walking the line it draws on GoogleEarth is sometimes ca. 5-10m off-track. Not a big deal and for my purpose (geo-tagging) it is ok. And Is till have to see how it behaves after a whole day of logging.
JSK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmCaE1 wrote:

I have tried this "conversion" via Word also, but have found a quicker solution now. It works under Mac OSX at least. By just changing the .txt extension to .nmea, I was able to read the Progin log files into HoudahGPS and convert them to other files (.kml, .gpx, etc.). HoudahGPS actually is a friendly user interface to GPSBabel, which is the conversion engine.

Dennis

Good catch there Dennis, I am sure there are other ways to resolve this small firmware problem, I guess whichever works best for you is the way to go. I need to use data on a PPC, so resolving in pocket word and track conversion and analysis via BeelineGPS is my best option.

Regarding auto or manual setup of the logger, I prefer manual at 5 second intervals, with a 1gb SD card I can log for many weeks if necessary. I find the autolog system too quirky.

One other problem I have discovered with my device, which has also been raised before incidently, is lost logging. If you use purely as a logger it works flawlessly; if you use as a GPS bluetooth feed to a PC / PDA program, again it works great. But when using it as a bluetooth GPS feed, the internal logger seems to miss between 20-30% of the tracklog when used intermittently. Inveraibly it is the first log track when the device is turned on that it seems to loose, when you turn the device off then on again, the logger appears to kick in.... strange. My solution is to use it "either or", it was bought as a pure logger and that is what it does well.

Cheers ..... John
OmCaE1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSK wrote:

Regarding auto or manual setup of the logger, I prefer manual at 5 second intervals, with a 1gb SD card I can log for many weeks if necessary. I find the autolog system too quirky.

John

Here is soemthing I don't understand, If you say many weeks of logging, how many hours is that?
As far as I can see, the Progin generates txt files of about 40Kb/20 minutes when I use the 5 sec interval mode, which I also prefer to use. That is 120Kb/hour. So my guess is that I can get 8 hours of continuos logging on a 1Gb card. I will check again tomorrow to be sure about the size.

Dennis
JSK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmCaE1 wrote:

Here is soemthing I don't understand, If you say many weeks of logging, how many hours is that?
As far as I can see, the Progin generates txt files of about 40Kb/20 minutes when I use the 5 sec interval mode, which I also prefer to use. That is 120Kb/hour. So my guess is that I can get 8 hours of continuos logging on a 1Gb card. I will check again tomorrow to be sure about the size.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I think you are mixing megabytes with gigabytes here.

When I tested battery life on my Progin unit, I got 16 hours, 52 minutes run time, pretty respectable in my opinion. This equates to a file size of 1.64mb on the SD card with a 5 second setting on the device. When you do the maths, that works out at about 10,000 hours, give or take a little, more than enough for my needs Cool

Just another point that may be of use, the battery used in this device is a Fuji NP60 clone which is readily available on 'fleabay'. I have a spare battery and wall charger which work just fine.

Cheers .... John
OmCaE1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed You are right John!
And you saved me some money, because now I can keep using that old 256 Mb card. Very Happy

Thanks,
Dennis
JSK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else notice that 'gpsforless' have quietly dropped the Zycast 289 datalogger, both from their website, their 'valuemax' susidiary site and also their ebay store.

Guess they have either had enough of the returns or there is a replacement on the radar?.

Cheers
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there is a replacement - or they can't get the product at the price they want.

My 289 performs faultlessly - as they say - it does what it says on the box.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: