Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looking for GPS receiver with Data Logger
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for GPS receiver with Data Logger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JSK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to the folks who provided feedback on how the Zycast 289 had performed (or not as the case may be!) since they took ownership. I always like to examine all possibilities before deciding on which model to lay my cash down for, so I have decided on which logger to go for and I thought I would share my reasoning on the model I've chosen. The following information may help others who also have a need for GPS logging.

SD card support was a given, so the following were the units I considered;

Geochron GPS-08301; http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8301 . This was high on my list, but those rocker switches are a dead cert to be knocked on and off by accident, and with only an average battery life, I kicked this into touch. Shame really, with a little tweaking it could be an ideal unit as it looks pretty tough, and some of the USA forums rate it's performance.

DIY; http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-assemble-an-SMD-GPS-Device---OHARARP-LLC/ . As it will be carried as hand bagage on long haul flights, I think US security would freak out at this baby. I forsee pain and trauma going this route Shocked .

Ohararp SD GPS Data Logger V3.0; http://www.ohararp.com/products.html . Basically the same as the DIY model above, but a finished version. As above, it is really too much of a risk to carry something like that as hand baggage.

So, if I want SD card support, the field is now pretty narrow. I did find out that the Zycast 289 model is a first generation unit and has been superceeded by;-

Progin T-368; http://www.progin.com.tw/t368_en.htm . This is a Zycast 289 that has had a facelift; I really like the larger screen and support for an mmcx connection, not sure if there are many more changes, but the circuit board has definitely changed to incorporate the screen, mmcx, switch etc, so it is possible other internal upgrades have been carried out also.

I also like the fact that the Progin website is active, has downloads, and seems to belong to someone Wink. If you look at the postal address for Zycast and Progin, they appear to be on the same street!, my guess is that 'Zycast' have become 'Progin' and the Zycast site will be left to die in it's own time. At least if that is the case, then firmware updates (don't hold your breathe) should work for the 289 also, if you are prepared to risk 'bricking' your unit.

So, I have ordered a Progin T-368, it should be here (UK) in a few days time. Unfortunately it is not available in the UK, so my cash has been laid at the door of GPS-Laden in Germany, the only supplier I could find in Europe that stocked it. They have a good reputation, so lets hope I don't need to exercise their exchange policy Wink . I will drop a little feedback on this forum link if anyone is interested in how it performs.

Cheers,

John
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly reads like a 289 - even the manual looks suspiciously similar! Don't think I will be risking the firmware updates though!

Prodnose - tried to find my Bt dongle - and couldn't - hardly ue it nowadays. If it turns up I will give it a go.
Prodnose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
If you do manage to find it would be interested to know result. I managed to borrow a Belkin BT USB dongle and drivers. Got as far as pairing but still could not connect.
Harry
OmCaE1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSK wrote:

So, I have ordered a Progin T-368, it should be here (UK) in a few days time. Unfortunately it is not available in the UK, so my cash has been laid at the door of GPS-Laden in Germany, the only supplier I could find in Europe that stocked it. They have a good reputation, so lets hope I don't need to exercise their exchange policy Wink . I will drop a little feedback on this forum link if anyone is interested in how it performs.

Hi John, I am also interested in the Progin for geotagging my photos. Do you already have received it and used it?

Cheers,
Dennis
JSK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Well, been using it for a little while now and I am really impressed. It took 4 days to deliver from Germany - I bought it without a card and installed my own Lexar 1gb and it has worked flawlessly up to now. I really like the small blue lit screen, a nice touch.

It has connected via BT to my Touch Cruise, hx4700, Vaio laptop and PC with no problems, though I tend to use it exclusively as a stand alone logger. USB connection is a no-no, but I suspect the mini usb is for battery charging only, not data connection, this is a somewhat grey area in the user manual. The ability to store onto an SD card and analyse / convert to .kml or .gpx is magic. The longest I have used in in one go is 12 hours and the battery icon was still showing juice left, not much I imagine.

I thought initially it would be a 'smudge magnet' due to the highly polished finish, but it is fine. There is a firmware issue with the NMEA sentences that are logged to the SD card, but this is only a 10 second fix when the .txt file is opened in Word; this automatically configures the CR to the correct setting and when you save the file it works in any application you choose. I use 'NMEA2KMZ' on my PC as it is simple to use and free, and I use 'BeelineGPS' on my PDA because it is the most user friendly I have used.

Would I recommend it,- if the specification fits what you are looking for in a logger, then yes is my answer.

Cheers,
John
OmCaE1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
Thanks for this info.
I also want to use the Progin exclusively as a data logger for geotagging my photos. I was looking for that SD card support because I want to back-up the data on an Archos 605 WiFi while I am travelling. Now I can use the Archos to back-up my photos and geotagging data, which means that I can leave my MacBook Pro at home now.
For navigating I plan to use my Nokia E65 + QStarz Q818.

Dennis
JSK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Pleased my info was of some assistance to you, I don't think you will be disappointed with the T-368. Just out of interest, I will be using my logger in the same way as you intend to use yours. I am off on a USA roadtrip for several weeks soon and can log the route (air flights as well), convert them via my PDA into a .kml file and email both photo's (re-sized via Resco photo viewer) and Google route file back to the kids at home; proves there's still life left in the old folks yet !! Laughing

Cheers,

John
Prodnose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Your comments are very interesting. I have the forerunner of your logger, the SG-289. It even has the same odd error in the NMEA date strings.
I note that you have been able to connect to your PC and laptop via BT. I have struggled in vain to connect via to USB bluetooth dongle. May I ask if either of your machines use USB and if so, tell me which device you are using, please?
Harry
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSK wrote:
I am off on a USA roadtrip for several weeks soon and can log the route (air flights as well), convert them via my PDA into a .kml file and email both photo's (re-sized via Resco photo viewer) and Google route file back to the kids at home; proves there's still life left in the old folks yet !! Laughing

Like it - you can show your kids where you are spending their inheritence Cool
OmCaE1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Progin T-368 is on its way to the Netherlands!
I will post my experience with it in combination with my other equipment (Archos 605, Macbook Pro and BT) and the software I use (GPSBabel, GPSPhotolinker).

Dennis
JSK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prodnose wrote:
John,
Your comments are very interesting. I have the forerunner of your logger, the SG-289. It even has the same odd error in the NMEA date strings.
I note that you have been able to connect to your PC and laptop via BT. I have struggled in vain to connect via to USB bluetooth dongle. May I ask if either of your machines use USB and if so, tell me which device you are using, please?
Harry

Hi Harry,

Sorry your device is not working as it should.

My PC is a bog standard 'Medion' I bought some 3 years back from Aldi, I use the in-built BT card and it works just fine. My new laptop is a Sony Vaio FE41Z, again I connect straight through via the in-built BT system with no problems.

To test the unit via a BT dongle, I dug out my old Sony Vaio SR21K and plugged in a standard MSI blue tooth dongle, ran the in-built BT software that ships with Windows XP and it connected right away and ran no problem. The dongle is the same one Dave Burrows reviewed here - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/msi-bluetooth-usb.php

I think if I was in your position I would be talking to the supplier as I suspect the BT radio in your device may be suspect.

Good luck sorting out your problem.

John
Prodnose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
Thanks for your comments. I think that you are right and there is a problem with my logger. I did talk to the supplier who said that it was only intended to be used with a PDA. When I asked why software for viewing the output on a PC was supplied I got a typical blank response. As my datalogger does what I bought it for very well, I let the matter drop. Just occasionally I get stirred into having another bash.
Harry
JSK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prodnose wrote:
When I asked why software for viewing the output on a PC was supplied I got a typical blank response.

Hi Harry,

Software, I forgot to mention that Rolling Eyes must be my age !! It can be summed up in one word - 'rubbish'. There are some first class free programs out there that tear the pants off the stuff the manufacturer provides.

Your suppliers' comments that the device is only designed to connect to a PDA is cobblers in my opinion.

Cheers,

John
Prodnose
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes John,
Could not agree more. I don't want their software, I merely used the question to challenge him! His response was so typical of those who say something to get rid of you rather than spend a little time giving it proper consideration.
I do take a NMEA stream into some software via a USB GPS and it is fine. If I could have made the BT connection, it would have an alternative source.
Thank again,
Harry
Lindum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Dennis (or anyone else with Progin T368)

Does this device allow data logging at one second intervals? I thought the SG-289 sounded perfect until I read that it had a minimum interval of 5 seconds.

I am looking for a high capacity, high update rate (ideally 1 Hz) datalogger with a real-time LCD position display which seems to reduce the options somewhat!

TVM

Bob

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: