Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Itinerary
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Itinerary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Itinerary Reply with quote

Hi Folks
I currently use a PDA and Tomtom 5 and it runs faultlessly. However, I have borrowed my son’s Tomtom 520 for a few days with the view of buying a 920 or something similar in the near future. As I am familiar with Tomtom I have sussed out the controls with ease except for one item, Itinerary Planning.
With my holidays beckoning I can plan an Itinerary on my PDA (example) from Paris to Royan with various waypoints and view the route to make sure that it is as I want.
But after planning my Itinerary on the Tomtom Go the route will always start from my present location (because the GPS always has a fix). I can do it if I don’t have a fix. Can I turn the GPS off or is there another way to do this simple task. I’m quite puzzled.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's silly limitation. You can't turn the GPS off. I know at least one regular here has resorted to wrapping it in kitchen foil!

A slightly neater method is to do it on the "virtual" on-screen TomTom in the 'Home' PC utility. Then you can set your current location to be anywhere you want.

Slightly off topic, but are you aware that there are a couple of methods to use either Google Maps or Google Earth to work out your itinerary, and then import it into the Go.

Have a look at "Tyre" HERE (good 'cos its an all in one solution)

or "the Houghi script" HERE (good 'cos you can use it anywhere without any special software (cybercafes etc.)
BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best itinerary planners I've found is the excellent ITNConvert. You can get the latest FREE version here http://benichougps.blogspot.com (click the Union flag for English instructions)

Not only will it convert various formats to various formats but you can also create an itinerary if you click on to the Editor button. This opens a version of Google Maps which includes satellite images but is much better in my opinion.

If you click on to Settings, you can choose miles if you prefer. You can also choose to have the distances automatically calculated.

Using the zoom facility, select your chosen waypoint then select 'add to itinerary'. You can name the waypoint if you wish. Repeat this process until you have selected all your waypoints then close the window. Name the itinerary and use the 'Export file format' to save the file as an ITN.

Just copy the file into the ITN folder on your TomTom and load it.

Hope this helps.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks
Thanks for replying. So, as I expected one cannot plan an Itinerary route and view the ensuing result when one is away from their computer.
I can perform the task on my PDA simply by not switching on my GPS receiver. I can also perform the task with my ‘Go’ but only if I sit in a bomb shelter or go down a deep coal mine. Never mind.

Anyway, as have said before I am thinking about changing my PDA navigator for a ‘Go’. How do they compare? Well on the ‘Go’ I like the fact that you can switch on and be up and running in seconds. I like the sound level volume (I can easily hear it in the Transit) and also the 'Home' PC utility.

What about the PDA version? I like the Itinerary (we have already gone through that) and the fact that the PDA screen is in Portrait instead of in the Landscape as on the ‘Go’. Believe me, Portrait Mode enables us PDA users to see what’s in front instead of lots of unimportant roads on the sides.
By the way, I often use Google Earth Maps and ITNConvert for itineraries on my PDA.

So, will I be sticking my hand into my wallet in the near future? Er! Yes, its very likely.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi Folks
Thanks for replying. So, as I expected one cannot plan an Itinerary route and view the ensuing result when one is away from their computer.
I can perform the task on my PDA simply by not switching on my GPS receiver. I can also perform the task with my ‘Go’ but only if I sit in a bomb shelter or go down a deep coal mine. Never mind.

Anyway, as have said before I am thinking about changing my PDA navigator for a ‘Go’. How do they compare? Well on the ‘Go’ I like the fact that you can switch on and be up and running in seconds. I like the sound level volume (I can easily hear it in the Transit) and also the 'Home' PC utility.

What about the PDA version? I like the Itinerary (we have already gone through that) and the fact that the PDA screen is in Portrait instead of in the Landscape as on the ‘Go’. Believe me, Portrait Mode enables us PDA users to see what’s in front instead of lots of unimportant roads on the sides.
By the way, I often use Google Earth Maps and ITNConvert for itineraries on my PDA.

So, will I be sticking my hand into my wallet in the near future? Er! Yes, its very likely.

It is easy to lose a GIS lock once indoors! Just move away from outside windows and go into the interior part of your home!
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Infama
To me the one most remarkable thing about the ‘Go’ device that I have borrowed is its remarkable ability to pick up the GPS signal. If I wander about the house using my own Bluetooth BT338 (a very good one) it will loose the signal in various parts of my dwelling.
However, within seconds of switching on the ‘Go’ device it locks on and nothing seems to deter it. Quite amazing really.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy!! ;)

The "wrap it in kitchen foil" does work!! Well it does on my 700. Maybe the newer model with the better reception will still get the signal though.

My carefully moulded foil shell was destroyed at Christmas - it got sat on Sad
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sgould and Andy.
Well I’ll go to the foot of our stairs (polite way of saying ‘well I’ll be f-----) it works. Yes wrapping the device in kitchen foil does stop the GPS signal. What will my wife say when she sees me packing kitchen foil with all my other electronic equipment. I suppose she will think I have finally gone over the edge.
And even worse is the fact that I spend lots of my time on the Tomtom Navigator Forum where lots of the queries are concerned with no GPS signal. And here I am presently associating with users whose primary aim in life is stopping the signal.
I feel like a charlatan and traitor. Will people know? Will they stop in the street and point at me? Is it the end of life as we know it.?
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with us on this forum!
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have they made one for the rabbit yet. Laughing Laughing
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I know the cats been to the vets recently and hope it is OK, but have you been to the doc's in a while for a check up?? Razz - Mike
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P2002
Very good. I laughed a lot. But...........
Er! I think its time I returned to the PDA Tomtom Navigator Forum. I think I will be safer
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P2002
I have downloaded Tyre as you suggested and it works just fine with my PDA Tomtom. Thanks.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: