Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BC-307 Not Working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BC-307 Not Working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rik-chard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: BC-307 Not Working Reply with quote

I've got a BC-307 CF GPS receiver and an IPAQ 2200.

I'm running some software that came with the receiver called GPS info. I have also got Memory map pocket navigator installed.

On both applications (they are not running together) the GPS receiver does not seem to do much. I can't see any satelites and it won't show my position. The LED indicator on the side of the GPS stays constant, which means that it is searching. I have got it flashing a few times but with not much in the way of results.

The GPSinfo software has (what I think is) a log. But when the GPS is run, a load of boxes appear every so often.

Also, in the memory map application, I seemed to receive the time and date (the time is wrong in the ipaq, so I don't know where it came from), a heading of 000 degrees and an altitude of about -200,000ft. It didn't show any satelites though when in the satelites window.

If this makes sense, I was wondering if someone could help me.

Thanks,
Rik-chard
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: BC-307 Not Working Reply with quote

rik-chard wrote:
The LED indicator on the side of the GPS stays constant, which means that it is searching. I have got it flashing a few times but with not much in the way of results.

Can you check how you are interpreting the LED on the side of the device? -

Review wrote:
On the side of the receiver is a small LED, the supplied manual suggests that a flashing LED means it’s searching for a signal, a constantly lit LED means position fixed and OFF means….well you can work that one out for yourself!

Can you also tell us how you have the GPS configured in Memory Map, i.e. GPS type, Baud speed etc, you should also make sure you only have one GPS application running at any one time, use Start/ Settings/ Memory running programs tab to be sure you have switched off the other GPS application BEFORE starting the other one, there is some Baud speed setting information which can be found Here - Mike
rik-chard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

I've now got rid of the gpsinfo and memory map software (for now).

I thought I'd try with something different, so I reset my ipaq totally and then installed navio.

I've set it up like this:
Type, "Serial NMEA 0183" type
Port, "COM7" <--- The only one which sets the indicator light off.
Speed, "4800"

I pressed "start" and the LED indicator lit up (meaning that it is searching for satelites.) After about a minuite or so, it started flashing (meaning that it had got a fix.) However, the software did not respond to this, and shows no satelites.

Quote:
Can you check how you are interpreting the LED on the side of the device?

I don't know what you mean. I hope i've somehow answered it in the above.

Thanks,
rik-chard
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you go to This Page and download/ install the TT GPS driver 2,06, at least I understand the various options this software offers. Once it is on your device start the application (the icon looks like a sat dish) and set up the options. Then we can look further into what set-up options the software is actually offering you on that PDA - Mike
rik-chard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update, before I try that.

I've now downloaded winfast and have a fix in sirf mode. mmm...and I thought it was a NMEA GPS thing.

OK...thanks very much...trying the TomTom driver...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you have established the GPS is running in SiRF mode it is time to switch it back to NMEA mode, I posted up some details of how to do this a while back using the TT GPS Driver, this was the next thing I was going to suggest you try to be honest, so getting you to install the driver software was a step in the right direction Wink

The instructions for switching to/ from NMEA and SiRF can be found Here - Mike
rik-chard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS is working perfectly now.

Thankyou very much for all your help, mike. You really are a "knight in shining armour" to the beginners which are drowning in all of the settings. I wish you the best of luck for the future.

Thanks once again,
rik-chard.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it is working fine now, I did suspect it was in SiRF mode from the post you made that said the data stream contained squares, once you had the correct software on the device to switch it back it is easy.
I appreciate the other applications can also switch the GPS modes but they can also brick the GPS if used incorrectly so I prefer the simple TT GPS application to perform the switch - less to go wrong! - enjoy the device and get the MM re-loaded/ setup now it is all OK - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: