Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating PGPSW speed camera d/base in v7
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating PGPSW speed camera d/base in v7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updated with the latest (18/12) PGPSW camera database - took less than 5 minutes and very simple.

Just clicked on the CHANGE link for each camera type in Content Manager/My POIs, selected the same (resized) camera icons as used previously, clicked on the little square box with '.....' in it (upper right), which opened the folder to which I had downloaded the latest cameras, selected the correct .asc file and then clicked 'open', then OK and repeated the exercise for each camera type.

Then clicked on SYnc and hey presto, all done

Works for me!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No insult intended, perussell Razz - but before I start banging my head against my wall again, can you just confirm for me please that (a) when you pressed 'synch' you got the 'in progress' bar display, and/or (b) the date shown in your MicrosoftActive's "Explore" Properties screen for the Mobile Device camera files is now the 18th December? Or at least that something definite happened!

I've just followed these steps, but again - in (a) nothing happened and in (b) dates shown afterwards were still a few days ago when I last set the files up before this latest update, so nothing seems to have changed for me!

Thanks for any info.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No insult taken! We are only trying to help each other here and a fair question.

The answer to your question is No I didn't see a progress bar when synching which I would have expected.

But...........when I got this fixed last week it did exactly the same i.e. no progress bar and yet I know that it picked up some SPECS cameras on the M4 near Reading that were not there before I updated the unit since I drive through the area on a weekly basis so whatever happened it loaded the cameras. I can't explain why, maybe when you are updating something that is already there it doesn't show the progress bar.

I can't explain this I just know it worked.

Depending upon how old your camera database is look and see if there are any specs cameras between J12 and J11 of the M4 before updating and then if they are there afterwards. Those cameras have only been there for a few weeks or so.

You can see from the map on PGPSW where the cameras should be.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply perussell. I'll try your helpful suggestion - I'm a bit more hopeful now!
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk & perussell

I just updated my 31 speed files, having resized all my icons AGAIN, and pressed the sync key and viola NADA. Had a brainwave went on to the website to update the speed cameras - it says December on the main page BUT in Content Manager it is still November and as I have all the GBR files I was unable to sync from there. I pressed the button from time to time but on checking the file dates they were still from the last update.

So eventually I decided to copy them across using ActiveSync and then
I DID DISCOVER one thing:
My X-970T is operating in the future although the Time is set to the correct UK time ALL the files I copied were timestamped 8 hours in the future!

So I think we should press for Content Manager to notify us when it will transfer the files when we press the sync key and if anyone knows how to correct my internal clock I would be obliged.
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davegthomas wrote:
BigPerk & perussell

I just updated my 31 speed files, having resized all my icons AGAIN, and pressed the sync key and viola NADA. Had a brainwave went on to the website to update the speed cameras - it says December on the main page BUT in Content Manager it is still November and as I have all the GBR files I was unable to sync from there. I pressed the button from time to time but on checking the file dates they were still from the last update.

So eventually I decided to copy them across using ActiveSync and then
I DID DISCOVER one thing:
My X-970T is operating in the future although the Time is set to the correct UK time ALL the files I copied were timestamped 8 hours in the future!

So I think we should press for Content Manager to notify us when it will transfer the files when we press the sync key and if anyone knows how to correct my internal clock I would be obliged.

I also get the November updates, although the website says December. I originally thought that unchecking ‘Synchronise mobile device upon connecting’ from the active synch options fixed the *time* problem (as suggested by another member). However, I can now confirm that it’s still a problem. The time is always well out (4-8 hours ish)... I really hope Michelin gets this one sorted, as it also renders the ‘Night/Day’ colour settings (by time) useless.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The time is always well out (4-8 hours ish)... I really hope Michelin gets this one sorted, as it also renders the ‘Night/Day’ colour settings (by time) useless.

Interesting, my night and day settings work exactly when scheduled Confused and as mentioned above I do seem to have got new cameras on there each time I synchronise although I haven't yet tried to upload the VM cameras
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
Quote:
The time is always well out (4-8 hours ish)... I really hope Michelin gets this one sorted, as it also renders the ‘Night/Day’ colour settings (by time) useless.

Interesting, my night and day settings work exactly when scheduled Confused and as mentioned above I do seem to have got new cameras on there each time I synchronise although I haven't yet tried to upload the VM cameras

Hmmm, Do you think clock runs off a small battery when the main one is not charged (a bit like the small battery on the motherboard of a computer)? Does anyone else with a X970T experience this problem?
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be quite clear:

The Time on my X-970T is correct so the change from Day to Night happens when I told it to.

However, it would appear that the internal time of the device is exactly 8 hours ahead!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davegthomas said

Quote:
The Time on my X-970T is correct so the change from Day to Night happens when I told it to.

However, it would appear that the internal time of the device is exactly 8 hours ahead!

I have just updated my PGPS camera files. Two points -

- I did this earlier trying to use the "Change folder" option, but was unconvinced that it had worked, as the number of entries in each file afterwards did not match up with the latest PGSW UK breakdown between the types of camera, and the file sizes stayed the same. So I went back to my Bull/ChinaShop approach of Deleting each folder and (Re)Creating it. LAB, entries now tally with PGSW and the file sizes have changed. So the Change function is definitely NOT working for me at the moment;

- My files are also time-stamped 8 hours ahead. But I don't think this is Content Manager or the satnav's fault. I remember (I think Rolling Eyes) that before we all changed our profile to GMT (didn't we Smile ?) the PGSW site time was set at GMT+8 hours. So I think PGSW haven't changed to GMT with their file timestamping! (But maybe they didn't intend to).

Another point which I have only just appreciated, having looked at ActiveSynch Help, is that with Guest Partnership there is no actual synchronisation going on between files. CM is presumably just doing copies/moves when we press the Synch button. This must be why some people have found deleted files on the PC still on their unit.

So VM seem to need to tidy up their synchronising process and/or perhaps provide some additional guidance (eg when to use the real Sychnronisation option in Partnership )
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My files are also time-stamped 8 hours ahead. But I don't think this is Content Manager or the satnav's fault. I remember (I think ) that before we all changed our profile to GMT (didn't we ?) the PGSW site time was set at GMT+8 hours. So I think PGSW haven't changed to GMT with their file timestamping! (But maybe they didn't intend to).

Another red herring I'm afraid - The time stamp on my copied files was exactly 8 hours on from the time it did the copy.

Quote:
I did this earlier trying to use the "Change folder" option, but was unconvinced that it had worked, as the number of entries in each file afterwards did not match up with the latest PGSW UK breakdown between the types of camera, and the file sizes stayed the same. So I went back to my Bull/ChinaShop approach of Deleting each folder and (Re)Creating it. LAB, entries now tally with PGSW and the file sizes have changed. So the Change function is definitely NOT working for me at the moment;

I also used Change and pointing to the current location of the new files - This was all processed into the .ppi files but was not transferred to the PND. So for me Change IS working but NOT SYNC.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well I am going to admit to getting quite confused here (especially since I know the changes did work a week or two back) Confused

I just went back in, deleted the existing folders, and then re-created them attaching the latest PGPSW .asc files. The file sizes did change and when I clicked on the folder and then sync I did get the progress bar on this occasion. Very Happy

WHen I checked the files afterwards on the mobile device they all matched but were as suggested time stamped 8 hrs from now.

Interestingly when I checked these files beforehand they had a date of 1/1/2007 on them which is way before I even purchased the unit???? Shocked

So, I am reasonably confident I have the latest PGPSW files loaded but will admit to having no idea what was going on before even though I know there were new cameras added the last time I used the Change option.
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davegthomas wrote:
Just to be quite clear:

Intresting because my clock settings always displays the minutes correctly but the *hours* are 8 hours behind GMT... I'm confused Confused So does your *Time Settings* always display the hours and minute correctly before and after an Active Synch?
Davegthomas
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now as I write this I am looking at "Time Settings" and the Time is:
Hour 22
Minutes 18

That seems close enough for me!
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davegthomas wrote:
Right now as I write this I am looking at "Time Settings" and the Time is:
Hour 22
Minutes 18

That seems close enough for me!

Thanks for checking... I think a call to support is required.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: